LLIB

Unfittable
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I’m pretty sure I’m leaving some distance on the table with my driver. These are the numbers from my fitting. I know I come in steep and out to in. I’m working on fixing that. My question is can I improve my distance with equipment or am I not going to see any improvement until I straighten out my swing?

If a new shaft/driver will work suggestions on equipment would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 118FC082-E5D1-4EB0-8F49-5A12EB8E7205.jpeg
    118FC082-E5D1-4EB0-8F49-5A12EB8E7205.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 0
Right off the bat your smash factor is low, averaging about 1.4. Theoretical max is ~1.5. There's probably another 8ish MPH you could be getting out of it. This is due to impact location and impact quality. That's going to be a swing fix.

You're in a low launch/high spin scenario, which for your speed isn't helping either. If you can turn the loft up on your head I would do that to try to get some more height out of it. That and/or work on getting a positive AoA (head moving up through the ball, not down).

I have a similar swing path to yours but if you look at the data below (it missed swing speed) you can see I got more carry distance from slower ball speed due to my higher launch and lower spin. I have really worked on getting a positive AoA and that has help my driver distance immensely.

Capture.PNG

DB

Right off the bat your smash factor is low, averaging about 1.4. Theoretical max is ~1.5. There's probably another 8ish MPH you could be getting out of it. This is due to impact location and impact quality. That's going to be a swing fix.

You're in a low launch/high spin scenario, which for your speed isn't helping either. If you can turn the loft up on your head I would do that to try to get some more height out of it. That and/or work on getting a positive AoA (head moving up through the ball, not down).

I have a similar swing path to yours but if you look at the data below (it missed swing speed) you can see I got more carry distance from slower ball speed due to my higher launch and lower spin. I have really worked on getting a positive AoA and that has help my driver distance immensely.

View attachment 38669

DB

Thanks for the reply. I’m planning on working on my path/AoA. It’s all comes from a massive OTT move. I’m hoping if I get that fixed everything else will fall into place. I had my driver lofted at 10.5* but the fitter turned it down because I was getting 16* launch on his test drivers but he never changed it after I hit it. He said the numbers were as good as they were going to get.

Not sure what your spin was at 16° but according to Trackman at 100MPH swing speed optimum launch and spin for max carry are 14.9° and 2538 RPM(AoA 5°). Theoretical carry, 247.

At the same swing speed with 9.6° and 3722 spin (AoA -5°) (pretty close to your numbers) theoretical carry is 222.

Not sure what your spin was at 16° but according to Trackman at 100MPH swing speed optimum launch and spin for max carry are 14.9° and 2538 RPM(AoA 5°). Theoretical carry, 247.

At the same swing speed with 9.6° and 3722 spin (AoA -5°) (pretty close to your numbers) theoretical carry is 222.

Spin was around 3700. Basically I need to work on making better contact and work on my AoA?

Spin was around 3700. Basically I need to work on making better contact and work on my AoA?

Yes

Your spin is too high & you have a negative angle of attack. Lower the spin & create a more positive angle of attack & you will see your distance gains.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I’ve got some stuff to work on.

I would be careful, I bet you're really accurate as is. Chasing distance can lead to inconsistency and inaccuracy. If you want to keep your swing, then go get fit. They will have everything you will want to try and a good fitter will figure it out for you.

I think even just working on your path would cut your spin down drastically. If you are spinning the ball that much, I'd be willing to bet you are losing shots to the right? You mentioned the OTT move. Cutting across the ball like that is a distance killer.

I would be careful, I bet you're really accurate as is. Chasing distance can lead to inconsistency and inaccuracy. If you want to keep your swing, then go get fit. They will have everything you will want to try and a good fitter will figure it put for you.

Nope, not accurate at all. And those numbers are from a fitting. I just let him do his thing because honestly all the numbers were kind of overload for me. Now that I’ve had time to process everything it’s kind of a letdown. He didn’t really have me try anything. I hit 3 of his “test” drivers and mine and that was it. The “test” clubs were one clubhead with the same shaft but at 3 different lengths. They were basically to find the correct length. Once we settled on 44.5” as the most consistent he had me hit mine choking up 1/2” and I guess came to the conclusion that he couldn’t beat those numbers.

I think even just working on your path would cut your spin down drastically. If you are spinning the ball that much, I'd be willing to bet you are losing shots to the right? You mentioned the OTT move. Cutting across the ball like that is a distance killer.

I think you’re right. I had a few drives my last round where the stars aligned and I did everything mostly correct. Those went around 260 gps verified.

I think you’re right. I had a few drives my last round where the stars aligned and I did everything mostly correct. Those went around 260 gps verified.

I think if you were to straighten out your path quite a bit, your AoA would become more neutral since you will have to shallow your path to accomplish the move. My suggestion would be finding a qualified teaching professional who can help isolate the causes and give you a game plan to address them.

Otherwise, there is an instructor online that has a ton of easy to understand material and drills that can help moves like this. If you ever have time, search for Monte Scheinblum videos.

I think if you were to straighten out your path quite a bit, your AoA would become more neutral since you will have to shallow your path to accomplish the move. My suggestion would be finding a qualified teaching professional who can help isolate the causes and give you a game plan to address them.

Otherwise, there is an instructor online that has a ton of easy to understand material and drills that can help moves like this. If you ever have time, search for Monte Scheinblum videos.

Instructors here are few and far between. I’ll check him out this evening. Thanks!

Instructors here are few and far between. I’ll check him out this evening. Thanks!

He has his own website where he will do online lessons. I have used him in the past. Rebelliongolf.com

He has his own website where he will do online lessons. I have used him in the past. Rebelliongolf.com

I’ll definitely check that out. Thanks again!

Nope, not accurate at all. And those numbers are from a fitting. I just let him do his thing because honestly all the numbers were kind of overload for me. Now that I’ve had time to process everything it’s kind of a letdown. He didn’t really have me try anything. I hit 3 of his “test” drivers and mine and that was it. The “test” clubs were one clubhead with the same shaft but at 3 different lengths. They were basically to find the correct length. Once we settled on 44.5” as the most consistent he had me hit mine choking up 1/2” and I guess came to the conclusion that he couldn’t beat those numbers.
Hmm, that's a y fitting imo

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hmm, that's a y fitting imo

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The more I think about it the more I agree. I was pretty pumped right afterwards because of some swing flaws found and fixes identified and the iron & putter fitting were pretty good. But the woods, hybrid, & wedge fitting were a joke.

The more I think about it the more I agree. I was pretty pumped right afterwards because of some swing flaws found and fixes identified and the iron & putter fitting were pretty good. But the woods, hybrid, & wedge fitting were a joke.
In all honesty though. If you're delivering the club that far from the outside and that steep, the best thing that you'd get out of it is identifying your swing flaws. There isn't a club combo out there that would mitigate that. It's still a pretty poor effort on his part. Don't know what was paid. Maybe get in touch and ask for a redo or a refund?

Also, I'm not trying to be a jerk, so please don't take that as a slight against you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In all honesty though. If you're delivering the club that far from the outside and that steep, the best thing that you'd get out of it is identifying your swing flaws. There isn't a club combo out there that would mitigate that. It's still a pretty poor effort on his part. Don't know what was paid. Maybe get in touch and ask for a redo or a refund?

Also, I'm not trying to be a jerk, so please don't take that as a slight against you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No offense taken. I know my swing is pretty jacked up and we identified why and how I could fix it. If that’s all he could do with my swing then it is what it is. It just felt like he gave up once he seen how I hit my driver vs his. It worked out though. No new driver or shaft change = more $ for golf.

No offense taken. I know my swing is pretty jacked up and we identified why and how I could fix it. If that’s all he could do with my swing then it is what it is. It just felt like he gave up once he seen how I hit my driver vs his. It worked out though. No new driver or shaft change = more $ for golf.

So I was in a similar spot a few years ago. What I did was lessons - and built a new swing (I say a real one lol). I am still trying to get the foundation in place but it’s right there. I’ll get some sc200 numbers to give you an idea in the next day or so.

I was having similar issues until last week. I knew I was losing distance somewhere and accuracy could be an issue. I changed shafts. I went from a regular flex(my swing speeds are way faster now) to a stiff flex with a mid launch low spin shaft. Instant difference. I had a lot of left misses previously and I knew the ball was ballooning and launching too high. I have been finding myself 50 yards or more longer consistently and much more accurate. I would recommend getting a fitting and making sure your equipment is optimal for your needs.

Back