Driver Length Test

That's Fifty Cent. Or, that's what popped up when I searched Fifty Cent.
hahahaha...50 cent vs Nelly nevermind...in that case...we be "in da club"!!!

so excited for this. longer 2nd driver has been a fun recent ponder.

Advice from a former long drive guy. Do not switch back and forth during a round with a full on LD driver. It always took me a few swings to get back into it with either driver. I’ve trown it in the bag for scrambles and generally wished I hadn’t, or had stuck with it the entire round.

I can’t switch back and forth. It requires a totally different swing. Now if playing one with reasonable loft at 48”, you might have better luck. My two LD drivers have 2.5* and 3.5* of loft. One has a 110 gram XXX flex and the other a 90g XX flex.

Takes a totally different swing and mindset. I have NOT tried a 48” driver playing close to my preferred loft of 6-7* though. Maybe that won’t be as drastic?

Will be very interesting to see the results here. I'm sure a number of us are/have considered it.
Fun for testing purposes just to see but wouldn’t put one in play on course I don’t think

Fun for testing purposes just to see but wouldn’t put one in play on course I don’t think

Just too hard to find the center of the face?

It has to mess with your perception of the distance from the ball when taking a stance.

It has to mess with your perception of the distance from the ball when taking a stance.

Wouldn't that be a case for One Length irons then, since you do it with every iron too?

Yep sure does. Like I said fun for testing. It will be weird hitting a regular driver now lol

Wouldn't that be a case for One Length irons then, since you do it with every iron too?
Well I guess it could, however having more clubs the same length, OL irons, would displace that distance perception. You could eventually get used to a longer driver for sure.

In my younger years, when 50" drivers were still legal to use, I had one on a 7° head. It took some practice on the range to be able to hit it. The big thing was to have patience
swinging it. You can't try to swing hard or you'll get your hands ahead of the clubhead and hit some nasty push/slice shots. You'll love it when you happen to get the timing down.

I'm curious what it took to get the swingweight back in that low to mid D range. That much length without it had to have put it in the high E low F weight at first, right?

Love this and got me thinking about getting back into the longer shaft. Really enjoyed it when I was swinging them, but you sure don't want to switch back and forth. For sure not during a round and probably bad to go back and forth throughout the season. Pick and stick. Turned my last one into a camera mount, don't think I can go back to that shaft...haha.

Very interested in results of this.

Looking forward to the results as I play a driver that is less than standard in length.

This will be an interesting watch! Looking forward to seeing this video!

50" is crazy

That's gonna be bananas!

Pretty interesting stuff and we will put it all together for people post THP Showcase.

I will say drivers of today have changed the outcome compared to when we tested it just a handful of years ago.

Pretty interesting stuff and we will put it all together for people post THP Showcase.

I will say drivers of today have changed the outcome compared to when we tested it just a handful of years ago.

Now that post has me crazy excited about it. I would think with the materials being used today, how they are used now as opposed to say 6-7 years ago, and the ease many offer now to add or subtract weight, give the public a much stronger option here than before.

Looking forward to seeing the results of this one, should be very interesting!

Curious to see those ball speed numbers; I need to get fitted for a long boy to put into my SIM!

Yep sure does. Like I said fun for testing. It will be weird hitting a regular driver now lol

As someone that used to throw a true 2.3-3.5* LD driver in his bag, you don’t wanna. It takes a total different setup and mindset to hit that type of club. It will mess you up big time going back and forth.

I suggest if you ever do that it be the only driver in your bag.

Very interesting, curious to see where the trend goes over the next couple of years regarding driver length. 45 3/4” just seems long to me

Very interesting, curious to see where the trend goes over the next couple of years regarding driver length. 45 3/4” just seems long to me

Well it’s not going down to a 2.3* driver with a 110g XXX flex shaft driver. That’s designed for 2 purposes only. 1. Allowing someone that’s close to 150chs to maximize their distance once out of 8 tries and 2. See 1.

I can still hit it at 115CHS max, but it’s a weak low spin fade that I can hit further with a 6-7* standard length driver with a S flex shaft in a normal weight.

Back