Driver off the deck

Thechosen1

#Thistagwilltravel
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone ever tried? I know of a bud who has down it with an R7 driver and it's worked out great for a birdie

Personally I haven't but I would love to hear some successful stories and also some not so successful stories hehe

Share yours!

I can hit a driver off the deck if needed....But I guess the question would be, when is it needed.
I play risk reward golf and minimize big numbers. That does not go well with this shot.

I've never tried.

I used to do it with decent success with a Big Bertha 12 degree driver. Could get it about 240 or so (which at the time was a bit longer than my 3 wood).

No way in hell I would try it now....simply no reason and highly doubt my ability to pull it off.

nope
1) can't do it
2) can't do it

I never do.

A guy I play with does it every now and then....somestimes he hits it far, and sometimes he tops it.

Ive actually seen him bury a ball straight into the ground using a driver from the wet fairway.....that was something to see

I used to do it a lot when I had the smaller sized old style driver and will still give it a try once in a while during a scramble if my partner puts a good one out there and I have nothing to lose. Did it this weekend by the way. The old Big Bertha drivers are great for this, the head shape can take the ball right off a tight lie.

I've tried it only a hand full of times with very mixed results. Not a shot I ever really intend on using.

I used to use it off the fairway for long par 5's or missed tee shots back in high school. I also had a 11 or 12* driver at the time so it wasn't too bad. Haven't tried anything recently.

I think I have failed every time except once when the ball came to rest on top of the rough at tee height...
Then it works out well...

I used to be able to do it. But ever since these "newer" drivers have such large club faces I haven't even tried. My last two drivers (TM SF 1.0 and r9460) have such big faces it never even occured me to try.

Tried it once in a scramble, I learned my lesson. There are fairway woods for a reason.

I have an old Lynx driver that i will hit off the fairway on a couple of par 5's that i play every once in awhile, gets me home in two sometimes or around the green

Managed it a few times. The best was off a downhill lie into the wind and I absolutely nailed it.

It is very rare to need it though, usually only ever in serious wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will do it occasionally (usually in scrambles) with mixed results. Generally, you need a little bit of an uphill lie with the large 460 heads and some room to run the ball up. I used to do it frequently with my old Warbird and Big Bertha... I could hit my Warbird pretty high about 270 yds off the deck vs 250 yds with my 3 wood.

I haven't myself, but I watched Dr. Teeth do it at the Outing from the rough during our scramble. I'll let him tell the story though.

I used to carry an old Taylormade burner driver in my bag and use it as a 3 wood. Thing would bomb the ball

If I am further away from the hole than my 3w, there's no way I am going for it.

Have not tried to hit driver off the deck in probably a decade.

ha, no way!
back in the old days i was able to hit my Callaway Steelhead III off the deck, but never needed to.
heck, that driver is as big as some 3 woods are today anyway.

there's simply no reason to take a driver off the deck...

If you could do a 'rope hook me heysoos' with a driver? EPIC

I can hit a driver off the deck if needed....But I guess the question would be, when is it needed.
I play risk reward golf and minimize big numbers. That does not go well with this shot.

ha, no way!
back in the old days i was able to hit my Callaway Steelhead III off the deck, but never needed to.
heck, that driver is as big as some 3 woods are today anyway.

there's simply no reason to take a driver off the deck...

I absolutley agree. However I just thuoght of a reason to do it: 4 Man Scrambles. That's the last time I've ever hit driver off the deck but I had the advantage of placing the ball on a slight tuft of grass.

I never have probably never will either. I have a hard time with my 3wood I can't imagine what kind of trouble hitting my driver off the deck would get me into.

I absolutley agree. However I just thuoght of a reason to do it: 4 Man Scrambles. That's the last time I've ever hit driver off the deck but I had the advantage of placing the ball on a slight tuft of grass.

Exactly. Why not go for it if there's a good one out there already? Our scrambles here allow you to place the ball and I've hit a few good one's. I tried this at the THP Fall Outing last year on #18 with not such great luck, lol. Ended up baried head high in a bunker, now that time wasn't smart, but it was go big or go home, lol.

I do it all the time. I'm known for my lack of course management.

Back