Driver off the deck

I've tried this a total of 2 times and neither with any success at all. Both sliced so wickedly it was almost comical. I'll just stick to the 3 wood thanks.

I used to hit it off the deck if I had 270+ into a par 5 with no trouble in front of me. Used to hit it decently well to. Thing is, I would always hit a big fade almost to a cut with it and get no roll.

But now, I'm almost 30 and I'm sure would whiff if I tried it again

I'll do it 2-3 times a year just for fun. Rarely while playing my own ball though. Only if there is nothing to lose and zero trouble. I can hit it fine, sometimes I just don't know where it is going. Do it in scrambles when someone has already hit a good shot. It just falls into the 'might get lucky' category.

I can remember one in particular. We were behind a tree about 240 out in the rough. Someone had already hit a nice layup so I pull out the driver and hit a low screamer that sliced around the tree and rolled up to the green. Blind luck, but we took it anyway.

Back in the day when a "Burner" was the size of what a five-wood is today, I tried it from time to time with mixed results.

But today, with the size of drivers being what they are and with fairway woods playing almost as long as some drivers, I don't think I'd see a point in trying it.

But if I somehow wanted to, I don't think I could get my head around seeing a head THAT big hitting a ball off of turf. I'm sure there are some who could do it, but I wouldn't be one of them.

Driver Off The Deck questions

Driver Off The Deck questions

In a span of 5 rounds. How many total times will you hit driver off the deck?

Do you try to Fade it, Draw it, or hit it straight?

What percentage of the time is your driver off the deck successful? (Successful defined: pulled off the desired shot at that time.)

Never ever, never will I hit driver off the deck. EVER!

0....don't even try. FYI - this topic was heavily discussed early this week.

Sent from my Tapatalk!

At my local course, I've probably only tried driver off the deck 4 or 5 times in the 5 years I've been a member. On other courses with thicker, more fluffy grass, I might try it more often.

0....don't even try. FYI - this topic was heavily discussed early this week.

Sent from my Tapatalk!

a thousand pardons

I only use it off the deck during scrambles when my teammates are safely in play. I have done it 3 times this year in 2 tournaments. I pulled it off twice and topped it once. The first time I did it this year I hit it flush and hit a fade about 270 yards to the front of the green. The second time was a 250 yard fade in the middle of the fairway. Third was a 100 yard topped shot that was still safe.

I would never to it on any other occasion. That is what my 3 wood is for.

I've done it 3 times (total) and with horrible results :banghead::banghead:

Never would not

never hit driver off the deck, IMO thats what fairway woods and hybrids are for.

I can and have done it, but now that I have a great 3 wood, there is not reason for me to try.

I've done driver off the deck in the past but I hit my 3w so well and the drivers are so big these days that I see no reason for it. When I did pull it off, I would hit a low running fade. My 3w is so much better.

I've done it messing around on the range, but I've never been far away enough from the hole that I thought it would pay off.

I used to do it a lot when I had the smaller sized old style driver and will still give it a try once in a while during a scramble if my partner puts a good one out there and I have nothing to lose. Did it this weekend by the way. The old Big Bertha drivers are great for this, the head shape can take the ball right off a tight lie.

Exactly! I used to do it quite a bit with "classic" equipment, into the wind etc, but with the modern "Volkswagen on a stick" drivers, I find it very hard indeed. Except of course for very fluffy lies, i.e. the ball sitting on top of 2+ inches of rough.

I used to do it with my old drivers, worked up until the TM 300-models. Now with the 460CC+ heads and whatnot...eeeeh, no can do.

I do not really try diver off the deck very much, but my dad does!
He has a really bad back but can still send his drives out about 220-230.
He has compensated for his distance by practising hitting his driver off the deck a lot- which means he has a long range approach from decent lies. He often on the longer par 4's on my course will hit driver-driver and hit the green, which frustrates me when he hits the green with his driver and I miss with my mid iron >.< haha

Played golf yesterday my uncle tried doing it out of the rough. Topped the crap out of it. But I was glad to see him try haha

I tried driver off the deck at the range the other day. not pretty. I will stick to my hybrids

I've never tried it on the course. I've done it off the mat on my buddies dock and from those experiences I have no desire to try it on the course. Haha.

Back