Driver Off The Deck

Definitely not something I practice or use in a round other than in fundraiser rounds where you have to use one club for the entire hole.
The 3W vs old driver photo is perfect reason why.

Actually did this in a practice round prior to True Temper even.... @MWard and @OITW were my inspiration.... hit it pretty well but leaked right which kept me out of trouble

doubtful I’ll do again....

Played regularly with a club member who would play holes in reverse - tee off with the club he would normally hit into the green and hit the driver from the fairway. Watching ed him hit the driver into a par 5 into a 25 mph head wind from a slight downhill lie and the ball never left the flag and settling on the green. He played this shot during the InternationalAmateur at Belmont GC Lake Macquarie the week after he won the Australian Amateur Championship.
I see he shot a 65 in the Sony Championship today.

Hit one of the best shots of my golf career w/ a driver off the deck. 3 years ago at Horseshoe Bay. Was the last one I’ve hit.

Modern 3wood vs "Oversize" driver of years past

yPLhos9.jpg

20200110_232040.jpg

Oh, I know. I still have mine too. Completely different trajectories though. If I had a 'modern' 9° that size and length, and the room to carry it, I'd hit it in those situations.

Last edited:
Fairways are a bit too tight for driver off the deck but if I get a ball sitting up in the rough more than 230 out i'll go for the old 917 D2

Actually did this in a practice round prior to True Temper even.... @MWard and @OITW were my inspiration.... hit it pretty well but leaked right which kept me out of trouble

I was trying to remember which round it was - but hit the best driver off the deck of my life at the Ultimate Weekend - was absolutely blistered glorious DotD.

Normally it’s this:

I have done it but on really rare occasions. Usually playing a Captain’s choice type event and there may be alcohol involved. I have also one in a blue moon found myself laying in a spot where I had a long way to go and need to keep the ball really low and had it work out well but that is extremely rare that happens.

I have no idea how people do that with any consistency. I think I’ve pulled it off three times ever

Haven’t hit driver off the deck in years & outside of that didn’t do it that much.
Does shortening a driver shaft and using a driver head count as “driver off the deck”?

I'll do it a couple times a year but lie needs to be perfect. Sometimes it's pure, most times I mumble wtf did I do that.

@JB had @Jman and I do it at Aviara for the PX experience.

That was the only time I one up'ed Jman.

I swing steep so its an easier shot for me. Its a crowd pleaser only. I love my 3 wood and utility 2 iron.

The only times I've tried it have ALWAYS wound up a HORRIBLE toe shot! I'd be better off using my PUTTER and have better results!:LOL::ROFLMAO:

I’ll play this shot occasionally but its mostly used as a last ditch effort in a scramble.

That said I know a guy who uses a driver off the deck for his 270 high fade drive on a tee box. Last time I played with him he did it twice in the round and exactly like he wanted them.

I did it out of frustration last round I played... actually turned out to be a solid shot. Still not going to do it regularly though

I still se my driver off the turf, on a very few occassions.

My driver is one of those low profile, 460 square drivers. The low profile face makes it easier to hit balls off the turf imo..

Today's larger, more round 460 drivers would seem to make it tougher to use off the turf. Especially for the amature ranks. Just a guess on my part.

When I hit my driver off the turf, fairway conditions in front of me have to more favorable. The wider the better. The ball will fade quite a bit for me.

The shot is a risk/reward type of deal. Maybe there is a skin involved. Maybe a chance to break 80. Maybe I just want show off to my buddies.

There is one hole on a course I frequent, where my second to the green is about 260 yards. The fairway is a down slope to the green, that curves to the right. That down slope gives my ball quite a bit of extra distance. (my driver off the tee is about 220 yards) This shot sets up perfectly for my driver off the turf.

I was trying to remember which round it was - but hit the best driver off the deck of my life at the Ultimate Weekend - was absolutely blistered glorious DotD.

Normally it’s this:

That was the day we rode together Par 5 on the front side at Hammock Beach

I'll choke down and do it on a really windy day instead of a 3W on occasion. A 9 degree off the deck can really run. A great lie on a long hole will talk me into it on rare occasion too.
I use it to punch with sometimes if there is a lot of space for it to run just for this reason. I have turned some bad tee shots into pars and bogeys with that shot.

Sounds fun, but not something I even consider doing. Guaranteed to be a train wreck.

I used to use my Yonex Tri-G driver successfully off the desk a lot ... usually when wanting to get under overhanging trees ... but I sold it recently when I got a Taylormade M4. However, the M4 has more of a rounded base to the face (the Yonex was a bit flatter) and I find that I can’t strike it as cleanly now.

Love it. Not scared of it at all.

Especially love my Mini off the deck

? Blasts driver out of fairway bunker ? on the second hole I played with him. In the rain. No warmup. Oh, and there may have been a few morning cocktails during the morning rain delay. #Legend

I did it twice in the same round with @LLIB and @KY Golfer at Heritage Hills thanks to my struggles getting off the tee box for a few holes with mixed results. Not a shot I would rely on, but more of a desperation shot.

Back