• Under 43.5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LefTe

Living Strong!
Reaction score
Handicap
My Swing
Curious as to what the mean average is here at THP for playing length of your driver. Right now I'm hitting the std length that the Cleveland builds the Monster at 45.5. I've always played a 44" driver before. Hard for me to make true comparisons as I am 30 to 35 lbs lighter then I was but the funny thing is that is has appeared both on the course and the simulator that I'm more accurate then I was. I think that this has more to do with the driver overall set up then anything else. I do choke up however on narrow fairways, distance is a little shorter then before but when I catch it right in the sweet spot it's just as long yet I'm swinging right now 10 mph less then I did. I'm not shocked by this I'd hate to have gone through 9 months of chemo and still be the same, it sure won't have spoke well for a conditioning before would it. LOL

I reshafted my TM Burner with a 67g UST Proforce V2 and had Golf Galaxy set at 44". Last fall I was driving better than I ever have, out-driving every one of my playing partners. Best $70 I ever spent on golf equipment.

I too play the standard fuji fit on gold. I have considered trimming down the shaft for better contact, as I hit my 3wood as far as my driver and that HAS to mean I'm more accurate with a shorter shaft.

For the first twenty years I played this game my driver was 43 1/2 inches and I bombed it and kept it in play overall.

In the 90's I experimented with lengths up to 46-inches and bombed it a bit more but spent a lot more time searching for my ball in places other than fairways. Then I came to my senses and I now play a 44-inch driver and I bomb it farther than ever and I generally keep it in play.

In my opinion, anything longer than 44-inches may very well go a bit farther, but the lost balls and awkward second shots hardly seem worth the trouble.

But that's me.

-JP

Play at 45" kind of in between long and short.

In this case shorter is better

In this case shorter is better

44 1/2 Graphite Design 65 gram stiff on my R9 is sweeter than sugar cane syrup! I have three drivers and this one is the one I use when the money is on the line.

I play with whatever the shaft the driver comes with.
Now I am using super tri with stock shaft and it is 45.75

However I remember hitting NIKE 400CC quite well with grafalloy stiff shaft. so I am thinking of putting that shaft and see how it plays

My new Bridgestone has a 45" shaft, and so far seems to be a much better fit for me than the 45.5" that was on my Nickent that I replaced. But that could be due to several factors - Motore F1 vs UST SR3 shaft and J38 vs 4DX head - as well.

All I know is, so far, unless I make a very poor swing everything has been going much straighter than with my old driver.

I really expected that there would be more drivers played below 45" then there appear to be.

I really expected that there would be more drivers played below 45" then there appear to be.

i would wager that the reason you don't see many below 45" is because most people buy OTR and those are always longer than 45" these days.

with headsize and lightweight shafts.....the longer works for some, but not all. People need to get fit. And if they fit into OTR...great. But more often than not....a shorter shaft is ideal.

The one I ordered two Christmases ago is 44.25" (my 12°). My Evolver is whatever is stock. When I put the CYG on the two shafts, I'll probably cut them down.

My Saga in my Evolver plays 44"...WAY more control and I can still boom it.

(Sidebar: TRY THE HARRISON SAGA!!!!!!!!)

I play my Supertri at 44.5" and it's a fairway finder.

I play a 45.5" in my Monster, most my misses are on the toe, would cutting down 1/2"-1" help me find the sweetspot easier? I know the overall swing speed will be down, but hitting the sweetspot should help the drives still go out there... right?

I did a little experiment today marking the grip at 44.5 & 44 then checking swing speed on my Monster and found no difference between 44 & 44.5 but when I went out to the 45.5 I did pick up 3 to 5 mph in swing speed. My next experiment will be in the launch monitor reviewing ball speed, launch angle an overall distance between the three.

Driver length

Driver length

I play with a 45" driver as it is a great compromise with distance and control. OTR drivers I will cut down so I don't have to choke up.

The best option would be to get fit which a lot of players don't do from my experience.

My driver is 44¼" overall. I played a 43" for a few seasons, then when I got this G10, it was 45¾", and I lost a lot of balls in the weeds. Now I don't lose quite as many, and honestly haven' t noticed any real difference in lost distance.

Going to teh better shaft made a world of difference in my opinion, the Graphite Designs YS-Q is amazing.

If I could make a suggestion, it would be extremely interesting to correlate the player height with his driver length. I would also suggest that length be broken down in 1/4 inch increments.

Robert

Back