oiler3535

Reaction score
Handicap
Weird one. I’ve been gaming my Covert Tour 2.0 with X shaft since it came out. It’s the only club I’ve ever bought full priced; i saved up for 3 years. Well, I’ve saved up again. And want a new one. But for the past 2 years I’ve tried every driver available on the GC2 at Golftown stores. Bringing my Covert in to compare directly, nothing has given me similar ball speeds and spin,
let alone better. Then last week hit a Rogue with stock S shaft. Was 900 less spin! From 3000ish to 2100 ish. Was scary. An extra 10-15 carry, all rest similar. I hit about 30 balls. Could that be a statistical anomaly, or could it be that different? After March break (teacher) I’m going to go back and try to hit every new club, but the large difference confuses me. Can a club/shaft really be that different? Covert isn’t that old, so seems a huge difference unlikely.

You're right in that time window where new technology should start making a significant difference. I wouldn't say it's an anomaly.

As Jim Cramer would say "BUY BUY BUY"

Yep. The right shaft/head combo can make a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That head and shaft combo have brought your spin numbers down to a more desirable number. I can definitely see gaining 10+ yards with an optimized head and shaft combo when compared to 3-4 year old equipment.

Thanks for input, but I still find it hard to believe no other combination in last few years have seen such a difference, then this years Rogue combo does. I’m really hoping you all are right and when I get back into the city I still see those numbers :). People online in many places seem to be saying the Rogue SZ and epic SZ are nearly identical. Wonder if I could put the Rogue shaft in an epic head and use the cost savings on a new wedge.

Thanks for input, but I still find it hard to believe no other combination in last few years have seen such a difference, then this years Rogue combo does. I’m really hoping you all are right and when I get back into the city I still see those numbers :). People online in many places seem to be saying the Rogue SZ and epic SZ are nearly identical. Wonder if I could put the Rogue shaft in an epic head and use the cost savings on a new wedge.

Since you’re one the rare people here who seem to actually stick with a club for a long time and are obviously looking for a long term relationship here’s my two cents...don’t get too creative, just go with the one that works and move on. There’s really no explanation for why different club/shaft combos work for different people, you just have to find it.

I was testing Ping irons last week and was spinning c-Tapers to the moon and hitting the supposedly higher spinning AWT with optimal spin. My feeling is that it’s not the technology but your body for whatever reason liking one over the other and therefore putting a better strike on the ball.

Nike Covert was a great driver, btw...you’ll likely find a lot more forgiveness in newer models but probably not much, if any, more performance on your good hits.

Finally picked a new driver!

Had tried everything available in the store (including the woefully under stocked fit carts) and narrowed it down to 2. The SZ and M3. But while both were marginally better than my Covert neither wowed me. Then upon a suggestion I tried the Mizuno 180. Unfortunately the tensei blue was the only stiff shaft they had. I need low spin, but tried anyway. And wow it felt nice. Numbers were almost good enough to buy, but just didn’t quite have ‘it’. Loved the looks and sound (hated the M3 sound fwiw). Though the fit cart had no demo heads, we did find some shafts. Tried the 70g tensei white X shaft. Was good but at 9.5 was giving me good but not wow numbers. Then set down to 7.5*. Wow. There it was. Launching at 13* and at most 2400 spin. Carrying at least 10 yards more than mine and a way narrower dispersion. Can’t wait for it to come in (had to order), and hopefully courses open soon!

Back