Driver shaft help

djmitch1

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2017 M1 head online thinking it would fit my old Taylormade driver shaft but it doesn't so now I'm trying to find one. I know absolutely nothing about shafts so I'm looking for some help since there seems to be a million options. I'll tell you what I do know about my swing and maybe someone can tell me what to buy. I swing 120+ plus but I hit the ball really low and I always have...so I know I need x stiff and maybe something that will help to raise the launch angle since I must be too steep at attack. I went to our local golf store yesterday to hit a few and he was saying that I put a lot of spin on the ball and I'm sure that is a result of my angle of attack. I don't need the latest and greatest shaft just something decent that I can play with and I don't mind buying a used shaft... Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

I recently bought a 2017 M1 head online thinking it would fit my old Taylormade driver shaft but it doesn't so now I'm trying to find one. I know absolutely nothing about shafts so I'm looking for some help since there seems to be a million options. I'll tell you what I do know about my swing and maybe someone can tell me what to buy. I swing 120+ plus but I hit the ball really low and I always have...so I know I need x stiff and maybe something that will help to raise the launch angle since I must be too steep at attack. I went to our local golf store yesterday to hit a few and he was saying that I put a lot of spin on the ball and I'm sure that is a result of my angle of attack. I don't need the latest and greatest shaft just something decent that I can play with and I don't mind buying a used shaft... Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks
120+ eh? Well it's no xstill but I have a hzrdus black stiff, or a hzrdus yellow xstiff but it's cut down to in between driver and 3w length.

Or a diamana kaili stiff but don't thank that'll be what you're looking for

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A negative AoA with that speed is going to produce some serious spin. Sounds like you may want to put a toe in the water with a few types of shafts that can keep up with your swing. I would look for some slightly older model low to mid launch/low spin shafts. Some that come to mind would be the Graphite Design shafts like the AD-TP 7x, some of the UST ProForce V2 shafts, and maybe some Aldila 2KXV shafts - but there are so many that could potentially work. If you have a serious fitting option close by like a Club Champion, it might be worth the $ to take that head in and try a multitude of shafts.

Agree with H8tobogie. But if you have a TrueSpec nearby, they are currently running a free full bag fitting. (y)

Appreciate all the suggestions. As for buying an adapter to put on my current shaft...It's just the one that came with my first gen RBZ driver and even though I don't plan on selling that driver( because it's not worth anything) I guess I'll just leave it intact.
@vdubtx and H8tobogie I wish we had a place like that around here but there's only one golf store within 50 miles. I went there thinking I would be able to bring in my new head and walk out with a shaft but they didn't even have an adapter that would fit a 2017 M1. I'm guessing the new Taylormade's have different connectors or that would make no sense at all. So all I was able to do was hit a few with the newer drivers for fun. I have learned in the last 48 hours that there's really no such thing as a high launch/ low spin shaft and more loft on the clubhead just makes the spin even worse. I've always hit a 9.5 so he worked it up to an 11 and while it did come out higher it killed my distance. Distance isn't really a problem but what golfer doesn't want to get the most out of their swing? If possible I just want to try a shaft that might help correct those drives that feel great but die in the sky.

Chances are... with your steep attack (i am usually around -1.5 degrees on my driver) you will need an extra stiff shaft with a softer tip section. If you play the stiffest tip shaft out there you are going to hit burner balloons that go low off the tee then spin way up and probably way offline.

I did an actual fitting (ie not at a big box store that tries to tell me which of the 4 stock shafts i need.. but a legit fitting where I hit 15-20 of the latest and greatest and old reliable non oem shafts) and it was far cheaper to do that then guess and check on ebay. Pay for a fitting and buy the shaft you get fit into will save you in the long run, rather than trying 7 x 100$ ebay shafts and having 2 of them be tipped to oblivion and the rest of them just not fit you at all. Just buy the 390 or 440 shaft that you get fit into and you saved yourself 200 bucks.

I went there thinking I would be able to bring in my new head and walk out with a shaft but they didn't even have an adapter that would fit a 2017 M1. I'm guessing the new Taylormade's have different connectors or that would make no sense at all.

The M1/M2 and M5/M6 use the same adapter.

Chances are... with your steep attack (i am usually around -1.5 degrees on my driver) you will need an extra stiff shaft with a softer tip section. If you play the stiffest tip shaft out there you are going to hit burner balloons that go low off the tee then spin way up and probably way offline.

I did an actual fitting (ie not at a big box store that tries to tell me which of the 4 stock shafts i need.. but a legit fitting where I hit 15-20 of the latest and greatest and old reliable non oem shafts) and it was far cheaper to do that then guess and check on ebay. Pay for a fitting and buy the shaft you get fit into will save you in the long run, rather than trying 7 x 100$ ebay shafts and having 2 of them be tipped to oblivion and the rest of them just not fit you at all. Just buy the 390 or 440 shaft that you get fit into and you saved yourself 200 bucks.
good advice and thanks for the reply

The M1/M2 and M5/M6 use the same adapter.
Well I can't understand why he told me to go order an adapter online. I had the head in hand so that just makes no sense to me... It was a guy that I recognized from years ago so surely he knew better. I just lost faith in those guys, that's frustrating. Their equipment was out of date as well and the only reason I know that is because every youtuber I've ever watched has a better setup. This one only gave a few stats and I don't see how they could even properly fit someone considering all the info that wasn't available. I'll just have to wait until Saturday and take a drive to a store that will have what I need.

After hitting a Graphite Design ADDI shaft that is the best shaft I have ever hit, and goes farther than anything...you do need to get fitted for the shaft that fits your swing and shot pattern.

Back