Driver shaft torque

jlukes

Reaction score
What does it do? What would one tend to see in a low torque vs high torque?

For most golfers, the only difference they would see would be a change in feel.
In my opinion you hear far too often about torque being high and therefore someone is struggling with keeping it in play.
Yet we have watched the fastest and most agressive swings on tour handle high torque (and light weight, another misnomer).

Torque certainly CAN matter, but not the way its thrown around the net nowadays.

It's a subjective measurement in my understanding. But I believe it is a measure of tip twisting. A higher torque is a softer tip, but I may be completely off vase.

The lower the number, the more aggressive you tend to have to swing to feel the flex. However from brand to brand, the torque and how it flexes differ.

A 3.8 LZ feels more solid than a 3.8 tour green for example.

THE most over-talked, over-thought, and over-blamed aspect of shafts.

THE most over-talked, over-thought, and over-blamed aspect of shafts.

Totally agree with this. While it is subjective and while I am a weirdo about my shafts, torque is one thing I don't concern myself with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing I really care about with torque is that it's not too low, cause then the shaft feels dead and super stiff. I guess it could feel a little wonky if it was too high too, but I can't say I ever worry about it much.

Ironically, according to Don at PX, the most expensive material in a shaft determines the torque typically, even though it's one of the least important characteristics from a performance standpoint.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that companies publish torque numbers that are measured in a way that makes them look lower than they are for the ego internet golfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would concur with what everyone else has said.....

Lower torque- below 3* for me "feels" stiff-board-rebar etc...I have an Altus LT in my 3 wood that "feels" stiff due to being around 2.8* but keep it due to being so straight for me...

The best shaft I ever liked for a driver was around 3.5* being an IVERX. Most people didn't like it due to fear of it and its reputation but it didn't "feel" stiff. I am in the process of putting together a LV5 with a Kusala Black 61x that has a rating of 3.6* but has one of the stiffest lower sections in any shaft 80 grams or less.

The point is most shafts nowadays are mass produced with torque that is matched for general stiffness. The softer the shaft, USUALLY the more torque and vice versa. NOW there ARE ALWAYS exceptions for niche' shafts but in general is the case....

Read this by TOM WISHON- that guy knows a few things about shaft technology:
http://wishongolf.com/how-much-does-shaft-torque-affect-performance/

-David

Last edited:
I agree w SkiBumGolfer.
DB TT is the man when it comes to torque, and he says it is the least important aspect of a shaft.

So I don't worry about torque. Besides, I am an idiot when it comes to that math/physics stuff.

Bumping this thread for some feedback. I'm considering Recoil shafts for my irons, considering I was fit into them this weekend, but I was fit into the Prototype 95's which are super pricy. The regular Recoil 95's are much cheaper, so I'm looking into the differences between the two shafts, and based on UST's spec sheets the only real stated difference is torque - the Prototypes are constant at 2.4* of torque, whereas the regulars range from 3.5* in the 5 iron to 2.7* in the PW.

My question (and reason for posting in here) is, will I feel a 1* difference in torque? My first inclination is that it won't make much of a difference, and I know from my time at PX that torque pretty much means diddly when it comes to performance.

Bumping this thread for some feedback. I'm considering Recoil shafts for my irons, considering I was fit into them this weekend, but I was fit into the Prototype 95's which are super pricy. The regular Recoil 95's are much cheaper, so I'm looking into the differences between the two shafts, and based on UST's spec sheets the only real stated difference is torque - the Prototypes are constant at 2.4* of torque, whereas the regulars range from 3.5* in the 5 iron to 2.7* in the PW.

My question (and reason for posting in here) is, will I feel a 1* difference in torque? My first inclination is that it won't make much of a difference, and I know from my time at PX that torque pretty much means diddly when it comes to performance.

You were with one of the best shaft minds in the business a few months ago. Remember his conversation on this? :D

You were with one of the best shaft minds in the business a few months ago. Remember his conversation on this? :D

4 months is a long time Josh :bulgy-eyes:

Like I said, I seem to recall that he said no, it won't make much difference. I guess I'm just looking for confirmation :angel:

I am going to say no you wont notice it at all

Light weight is poorly named? So confusing.

Yes it is because it's relative and over thought due to the fact swing weight is what is noticeable.

Yes it is because it's relative and over thought due to the fact swing weight is what is noticeable.
Sorry I find that hard to buy, both overall weight and swing weight are common variables for club fitting. If overall weight didn't matter, why don't shaft manufacturers all make their shafts as light as possible while maintaining the different torque specs, kick points, etc.? That would make for faster swing speeds, more distance, sell a gazillion shafts...and yet that's not what's going on in the market.

Why don't you ask the fitter that fit you into those shafts?
I was told by a Ping fitter that torque helped with launch, but that was in a driver.

Sorry I find that hard to buy, both overall weight and swing weight are common variables for club fitting. If overall weight didn't matter, why don't shaft manufacturers all make their shafts as light as possible while maintaining the different torque specs, kick points, etc.? That would make for faster swing speeds, more distance, sell a gazillion shafts...and yet that's not what's going on in the market.

Umm... I'm pretty sure whatever information Josh has is going to be more accurate than anything you could find on the Internet. Just a hunch..

I don't recall ever saying it didn't matter.

If I handed you two clubs at d5. Unmarked shafts and same head I bet you could not tell me what one had the heavier weight. There is a reason manufactures dont make shafts as light as possible but thanks to some technological advances in the shaft making process over the last few years many of those reasons are disappearing. It is also why you see more and more light shafts that can handle the swings of faster and more up tempo players.

Why don't you ask the fitter that fit you into those shafts?
I was told by a Ping fitter that torque helped with launch, but that was in a driver.

Planning on doing so, but wanted to check here first since we've got lots of knowledgeable folks.

What I do know is torque is mainly feel. Reason I was checking is cause I don't want them to feel wildly different - but I don't think a degree will make much difference, per conversations with Don at PX this August.

I don't recall ever saying it didn't matter.
No you just said it was a misnomer and over-thought. Sorry if I mistook that for you meaning it isn't important.

If I handed you two clubs at d5. Unmarked shafts and same head I bet you could not tell me what one had the heavier weight. There is a reason manufactures dont make shafts as light as possible but thanks to some technological advances in the shaft making process over the last few years many of those reasons are disappearing. It is also why you see more and more light shafts that can handle the swings of faster and more up tempo players.
Maybe not, but I bet my swing could.

Best thing I did for my ball contact was play heavier shafts everywhere in my bag.

Planning on doing so, but wanted to check here first since we've got lots of knowledgeable folks.

What I do know is torque is mainly feel. Reason I was checking is cause I don't want them to feel wildly different - but I don't think a degree will make much difference, per conversations with Don at PX this August.

Totally understand. For me graphite shafts that I have tried in irons have caused me to hit the ball higher than I like with a wider dispersion pattern, could just be me. I'm not sure if the culprit is higher torque, overall lighter weight or a combination of factors.

Back