Driver Sound - How Much Does It Mean To You?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The sound of a driver is a big deal to some and not much of a deal to others. How much does it impact your loving and/or purchasing a driver?

Nada.
Zip.
Zilch.

Currently gaming the Wilson M3 Tour which is quite loud, but the results keep it in the bag.

Haven't really hit that many to have it make a difference. If I hit it well and am confident with it that's all that really matters to me.

As long as I don't go deaf after each drive, it doesn't matter much.

Not much impact on what I play unless it's truly awful. My favorite drivers have always sounded great.

It won't stop me from buying one as the results are what I care about the most but I'd be lying if I said I didn't notice it and enjoy the sounds of some over others. I think the Alpha has a great sound to it and vise versa my friend has this cheap Wilson box set that has the most ridiculous sounding driver I've ever heard. I almost fear the sound of it lol its like an aluminum baseball bat crazy high pitched ping that can be heard 17 miles away

as long as it's not super annoying like the old Nike Sumo or Cobra Speed Series drivers. Performance > Sound

I have never been a fan of drivers on the louder side of things. A loud tinging sound is a no no for me, but the muffled, soft sound of the J40 is music to my ears.

I wouldn't say it's something I pay attention to or look for when I'm looking to purchase. There are sounds I like and dislike though. Don't like high pitch or tin can sounds. A nice firm sound at impact it ideal for my ear. But if I like something I can get used to the sound. Almost like my daughter's music, it just becomes noise after a while.

Hated the sound of the Nike Covert but loves the way the ball flew. I would say that I wouldn't care as long as it doesn't sound like the Nike Sasquatch I won't mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huge to me, I love a muted sound or a splat at impact, anything that goes ting, ping, or ding goes back on the rack.

Anyone who says it doesn't matter, has never hit the Bobby Jones :alien:

Seriously though, its a large dealt to me, I simply don't see why I should settle for something I don't like the sound of when there are SO many excellent drivers out there, I can find one with a profile that fits me and sounds decent to good.

But to me, there is a difference in loud and LOUD.

It does slightly. I don't think it would stop me from buying a driver over performance, but if two drivers performed the same, sound would then come into play.

Seriously though, its a large dealt to me, I simply don't see why I should settle for something I don't like the sound of when there are SO many excellent drivers out there, I can find one with a profile that fits me and sounds decent to good.

Where does the M3 sit in your opinion?

not even a little

Where does the M3 sit in your opinion?

Loud, metallic, but not horrible. Its at its loudest out a chute of trees, but as is any driver to be honest. There is another level of loud above the M3, I'm talking Fister levels of loudness or some of the component companies with a true "Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing" sound.

I LOVE the ting sound of my old R9 driver and am not that fond of the Thud sound from my Callaway V-Series.

It only matters a bit for me. Performance is the main thing...now if I could just find one that would perform a straight drive instead of a dead push I would be happy.

Loud, metallic, but not horrible. Its at its loudest out a chute of trees, but as is any driver to be honest. There is another level of loud above the M3, I'm talking Fister levels of loudness or some of the component companies with a true "Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing" sound.
Haha that's exactly what I mean with this Wilson box set driver. It seriously is the loudest ping I've heard ever it almost hurts

I'd rather the sound not draw attention. The Cleveland Hibore was one of the worst/loudest I've ever played...ear piercing. It did not last long in my bag and it definitely performed.

Plays a role. Too loud = no good. I equate it to playing baseball with a wood bat. When you hit it right it has that sound and feel that you know you hit it on the sweet spot. Drivers sound is relevant to feel, if it sounds good it usually feels good.

I'm in this same boat, and it's something I've thought a lot about this year. The simple fact is that I prefer sound just as I prefer colour when picking out clothes or a car. Why wouldn't it matter?

For me to game a driver for a long period of time I have to love the sound. I can deal with anything for a short period of time (still have my HiBore...) but if it's going to be my keeper it needs to sound just so.

For me to game a driver for a long period of time I have to love the sound. I can deal with anything for a short period of time (still have my HiBore...) but if it's going to be my keeper it needs to sound just so.

So did you think the sound of the Hibore was as bad as I remember? The driver definitely performs though. I sold it to my buddy and he still games it.

Nike drivers have historically been the worst. Old Cobras are up there as well. Callaways tend to sound the best to me.

Since sound is part of that highly-faceted subject called "feel," I'd say that it matters a bunch to me. Now, that isn't to say that loud or quiet, metallic or more solid is a preference, just that the whole of it, sound, result, shaft and grip feel are all interconnected to me and two entirely different drivers can feel good even if they sound completely different.

Back