• 10 yards

Votes: 28 28.3%
  • 10-20 yards

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Never give up an inch - I’m hitting bombs like Phil

Votes: 21 21.2%

• Total voters
I don't hit many so double is lame. I would give up 20 yards to hit 100% though

I put 5 yards only because my tee game is weak. Hit it pretty good distance already but I need fairway assistance all I can get right now.

I’m seeing this as a great divide! The two highest answers are none followed by 10-20 yards. fascinating. Maybe it is the difference of courses that are tight/ tree lined and those that are a bit more open?
My home course is tight so hitting it accurately is important. But it plays 6500 which is long for me so hitting it long is important as well. This is a tough question to answer. I said 10 yards just because at a doubling of fairways I would be at 100%!!!

0 yards. I actually need to add some. :cool:

I was just discussing this idea and how many here are saying 10+ with a guy while I sit here not working, and I'm going to paraphrase his response to the idea.

'Well I can't afford to give up an inch, much less a yard, or 10. Must be some big swinging *Richards in that (THP) locker room.'

haha

I'm not really wanting to argue the chart, but man some of those seem stretched in the middle. 162 from the fairway vs. 91 from the rough? 91 all day please.
Agree, I have a feeling it changes with tucked pins, firm greens and penal rough. The courses I play 91 from the rough all damn day.

It doesn't matter. I've hit 2/14 fairways and shot 90. I've hit 9/14 fairways and shot 90.

Since I hit over half of my fairways with driver, by giving up 5 yards, I basically would hit every fairway all of the time. It would be worth 5 yards. Any greater loss would not be worth it to me, because I hit plenty of fairways and need the distance, since I am not a bomber.

Frankly, I don't know how to answer the question. About 20 years ago it finally got through my thick head what I'd been hearing the top instructors say for years. Things like:
  • Swing the club, don't try to hit the ball
  • Swing to a balanced finish with all the weight on the front foot, so you can stay there forever
  • Value center face contact
  • Swing so that you reach maximum speed AFTER impact
My FIR is 80% over the last 20 rounds and rarely is below 75%. So there is no doubling my FIR. As for distance? I'm age 63. Average drive is about 255 yards. How much farther am I going to hit it?

I'm telling you this for one reason. Those instructors who say those things--they're right.

Frankly, I don't know how to answer the question. About 20 years ago it finally got through my thick head what I'd been hearing the top instructors say for years. Things like:
  • Swing to a balanced finish with all the weight on the front foot, so you can stay there forever
My FIR is 80% over the last 20 rounds and rarely is below 75%. So there is no doubling my FIR. As for distance? I'm age 63. Average drive is about 255 yards. How much farther am I going to hit it?

I'm telling you this for one reason. Those instructors who say those things--they're right.

Agree except the maximum speed after contact. That may promote a better swing. But....

The only time speed matters is at impact. Not before. Not after.

Well, the reality is that taking 10 yards off - whether with an easier swing or clubbing down - won't improve accuracy that much. And as far as fairways vs rough, the courses I play don't have crazy high rough so it isn't a matter of that. I'd be happy hitting half the penalties from off the tee. THAT would be worth the 10 yards.

When I did hit a bit longer my scores weren't any better. One answer doesn't apply to everyone, despite what Every Shot Counts says. Also, I can't help but think we get more run when hitting the fairway. So for those wanting more distance, wouldn't that provide it?

5 yards max. Already distance challenged to begin with.

I wouldn’t change a thing if I had those stats! I’d also trade an insane amount of money to be able to consistently get my weight on my front foot at my finish.

If I had to guess my average distance I would say 230 yards. Sometimes if over 250. Sometimes its closer to 210. I have a particular swing on a hole I lay up with on my home course. I choke all the way down where my finger is at the bottom of the grip. I don't swing as hard and I feel like I can hit every fairway at 190-200 yards. There's a 195 yard par 3 I use that same method and its been working.

But am I willing to stay under 200 all day to be in the fairway? I haven't done it but I've considered it. If I was more consistent with my longer fairway clubs I definitely would. Especially on the par 5's and par 4's 350 or less. But there is no guarantee I'll hit a good shot from the fairway every time. One day I might give it shot.

I think this really comes down to how penal the rough is.

For most courses I play, I will take the shorter club into the green unless Im really wild with driver.

This was pretty easy for me. I’m not a great iron player so the longer distances probably doesn’t have a discernible difference. But if I double FIRs I’m hitting every fairway, which virtually takes all penalties off the board. Put it together and it means no penalties and slightly more scrambling.

Agree except the maximum speed after contact. That may promote a better swing. But....

The only time speed matters is at impact. Not before. Not after.
I understand. This is a common misconception because most of us fail to consider a couple of factors. Keep in mind, it's pretty universal among golf instructors that you want maximum velocity on the target side of the ball. There is even a very popular drill taught where you grab the shaft just above the club head with the grip at the end and take swings with the goal of making the highest pitch sound after impact.

There are actual formulas in physics for this, but we don't need to go through the formulas to understand what is happening. What we are really after is maximum ball speed off the driver head. When you are accelerating through impact the ball stays in contact a little longer maximizing the spring effect off the club head. While we're only talking small fractions of a second this translates to a faster ball speed, which also shows up as a higher smash factor.

The same principle is used for the slap shot used by hockey players.

When you are accelerating through impact the ball stays in contact a little longer maximizing the spring effect off the club head. While we're only talking small fractions of a second this translates to a faster ball speed, which also shows up as a higher smash factor.

Ehh. I’m going to guess that any gains there are minute and immeasurable. When the ball comes off the face at 1.5x the club speed I don’t really care how much you accelerate through the hit zone, you (not anyone specific) is going to keep up with the 1.5x speed it has off the face.

Accelerating through impact is probably a good technique to teach, but physics says it has zero to do with ball flight in and of itself.

I said 10 yards. I ended up the season according to shot scope at 39% fairways hit and a P average at 303 yards. I would be ok if the number said 80% and 290

Been a lot wild lately working through some swing changes. I would definitely give up 10-20 to get to 70% FIR. Would have been 100% earlier in the year.

Back