Driver upgrade question!

MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am wanting to buy a new driver this year and pondering buying the latest and greatest or last years model.

is it worth the extra $150-200 to get the newest to you?

I'm posting to follow because I'm in the same boat, but I'll add my 2 cents since I also am gaming an M1. I would say, in my opinion, for us anything released in the past year will be a tech/forgiving/performance jump compared to what we're playing. So it comes down to getting in a bay and swinging the club. If it means saving $150+ but 2-3 yards of distance because its last years model, I would save the money and upgrade something else as well. Which is what I'm planning to do over the next couple of weeks.

EDIT: I'll add that for me, accuracy is more important than distance...

Far be it from me to give you advice, but since you asked.

My approach is to try out the different clubs, see which one is best, and if it is best by enough margin, go for it.

My current driver is a good example. It was NOT the best for me. Best for me was the Pring 410, but just by a little. The CObra was a little less consistent. BUT I found a Cobra for sale for $200 less. The Ping was not $200 better. So I play the Cobra.

Depends on the driver and how well you hit it imo. I have a hard time wrapping my head around $550 for a new driver just because it's the new thing. I'm all for taking advantage of new tech, but I think I'll continue to wait until the end of season for the newest. I just grabbed a mint M5 for $235 and sold my old M3 for $170. I'm okay with a $65 upgrade. I gamed an Epic SZ most of the year, and the reasons I haven't upgraded to a Epic Flash SZ are that the performance difference is minimal for me and they aren't giving those things away yet. If I could find one that's basically new for $235, I'dbuy it. My Epic is fine until then.

Far be it from me to give you advice, but since you asked.

My approach is to try out the different clubs, see which one is best, and if it is best by enough margin, go for it.

My current driver is a good example. It was NOT the best for me. Best for me was the Pring 410, but just by a little. The CObra was a little less consistent. BUT I found a Cobra for sale for $200 less. The Ping was not $200 better. So I play the Cobra.

how dare you give me advice on anything!?!?!haha

I am thinking it would need to be 10+ yards and straighter to justify the extra money.

I am wanting to buy a new driver this year and pondering buying the latest and greatest or last years model.

is it worth the extra $150-200 to get the newest to you?

Depends on how long you keep a driver? I have gotten stuff from CPO that was in like new condition that was still in the original packaging.

im down for a year old at nearly half price, especially when it likely gets replaced every 1-2 years.

im down for a year old at nearly half price, especially when it likely gets replaced every 1-2 years.

Pffffttt you could swing a driver made of tin foil and still cary 310...

To me it's not. Everything I tested in 2019 came out to not seeing any significant improvements, so I stuck with the Epic SZ. I was super eager to get my hands on a new big stick at the beginning of this year, but I haven't found anything worth spending the money.

With your handicap, you should really look at the Hogan GS53! You can demo it first!

I am thinking it would need to be 10+ yards and straighter to justify the extra money.
I'd consider paying the extra $ if it was straighter and 10 yards shorter!

Depends on how long you keep a driver? I have gotten stuff from CPO that was in like new condition that was still in the original packaging.
This is a great recommendation!

When I went to fitting/demo day in May, the Epic Flash was 20-25 yds longer than my gamer, but not for the price. September/October it comes out in CPO Like new for a great price, plus additional 30% off. Add trade ins, and the price was so low, I got the fairways as well. Getting clubs from the manufacturers lightly used is great

I like to buy used drivers/woods/putter. I do seem to try out the new stuff and am itching to buy, but when I only see slight improvements I wait.

I usually buy new irons but that is done rarely (5 years+ usually between sets).

I like to buy used drivers/woods/putter. I do seem to try out the new stuff and am itching to buy, but when I only see slight improvements I wait.

I usually buy new irons but that is done rarely (5 years+ usually between sets).
We are very similar in thinking.
PS Boomer Sooner plays my gophers tomorrow in hoops! Go Gophers!

how dare you give me advice on anything!?!?!haha

When I did a fitting recently I felt I needed 10 yards of carry to justify some spend. I couldn't get there with anything. I feel 10 yards of carry is the minimum to justify spending a substantial money for a new driver.

I'm posting to follow because I'm in the same boat, but I'll add my 2 cents since I also am gaming an M1. I would say, in my opinion, for us anything released in the past year will be a tech/forgiving/performance jump compared to what we're playing. So it comes down to getting in a bay and swinging the club. If it means saving $150+ but 2-3 yards of distance because its last years model, I would save the money and upgrade something else as well. Which is what I'm planning to do over the next couple of weeks.

EDIT: I'll add that for me, accuracy is more important than distance...
what year M1 are you rocking? I have the 2017 with the neon green graphics.

If you just purchase a off the rack club or buy last years model your odds of getting something better are even. if you try all the best current drivers and get fitted your odds are better but (1) you will likely not get a discount and (2) assumes your swing is pretty stable.

Since I started playing again, my swing is constantly under improvement and I have bought older models with great general purpose reviews for very cheap. My current driver was $80 new at black friday sale and I've had it for almost 1 year. I have no interest in an upgrade; it works that well.

We are very similar in thinking.
PS Boomer Sooner plays my gophers tomorrow in hoops! Go Gophers!
And there's also another Gopher game tomorrow against Penn State that should be a good one!

BTW, love the sig photo. I saw Prince more than a dozen times live at First Ave back in the '80's.

I am on a 2 year cycle.....I shop for clubs that are 2 years old from release date.

With the Hogan GS53, you save a bunch of cash and don't have to go to a previous model for it to be affordable. I love the driver.

And there's also another Gopher game tomorrow against Penn State that should be a good one!

BTW, love the sig photo. I saw Prince more than a dozen times live at First Ave back in the '80's.

I am jacked for the Penn State game, just had to let my buddy Sean know the gophers will beat OU tomorrow.

The biggest gophers football game of my life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I regret not checking out the Tour Edge in @OldeDude 's bag in Idaho.

Back