Driver versus Iron swing

VA. Vince

SC bound...
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: 15.1
My last 3 rounds I have hit on average 70% of the fairways off the tee. Now the problem, I average 3 GIR per round. I know my swing is an ugly mess and my biggest flaw is balance. But with an iron in my hand, I hit either draw, straight or a baby fade. I am at a point of just not knowing where to aim but in general, I aim at the right side of everything for my target line. Why can I hit my spots with driver but not an iron?

Could be a case of poor fitting irons? A bad lie angle can wreak havoc on accuracy but that would usually lead to a bad one way miss, not two ways.

I struggle with accuracy with an iron in hand as well. I think I'm just playing irons that are beyond my ability when I'm not swinging well.

You say you hit an average of 70% of your FW. That means you had a poor round, good round and great round? Or did you average 70% each round? Are you on the right, left or center of the fairway.

70% fairways is impressive. I'm not a swing coach by any means, but I have found for myself that spraying the ball all over with my irons mostly comes from over swinging.

How aggressive is you driver swing compared to your irons?

Could be a case of poor fitting irons? A bad lie angle can wreak havoc on accuracy but that would usually lead to a bad one way miss, not two ways.

I struggle with accuracy with an iron in hand as well. I think I'm just playing irons that are beyond my ability when I'm not swinging well.

I have been thinking I need to have another look at my irons. I was fit 3* up and +3/4 two years ago.

You say you hit an average of 70% of your FW. That means you had a poor round, good round and great round? Or did you average 70% each round? Are you on the right, left or center of the fairway.

Of the 3 rounds that was my average. I have been hitting the majority of the FW's. I aim up the right side and typically end up left of center, pull. I am on the same thought as Army, maybe iron lie needs adjustment?

70% fairways is impressive. I'm not a swing coach by any means, but I have found for myself that spraying the ball all over with my irons mostly comes from over swinging.

How aggressive is you driver swing compared to your irons?

I am quick with driver and probably way to quick with irons. Tempo is not with me on the course.

Over simplifying it here. But Fairways are larger and allow for more of a miss.

Greens are much smaller and when you are aiming at one particular side of it, you have made it much smaller.

Have you worked on your alignment on the range using some alignment rods or shafts.

I found this helped me get lined up properly.

70% is very very good . Why not focus on short game and convert those missed shots into par opportunities with the wedge and flat stick ?

I'm still new so I'm struggling with this 70% number. Are we saying hitting the fairway 70% of the time is a very good thing? Maybe it's the courses I play which are typically pretty easy, but I would expect a pretty good golfer (not me) to be in the fairway 90%+ off the tee, am I way off?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I'm still new so I'm struggling with this 70% number. Are we saying hitting the fairway 70% of the time is a very good thing? Maybe it's the courses I play which are typically pretty easy, but I would expect a pretty good golfer (not me) to be in the fairway 90%+ off the tee, am I way off?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Tour average is below 70%. Finding 7 out of 10 fairways in regulation sounds really nice to me.

Driver versus Iron swing

Tour average is below 70%. Finding 7 out of 10 fairways in regulation sounds really nice to me.

But keep in mind the courses they play have fairways like 15 yards wide and are like 7000 yds. It's a little bit harder for them.

That why a new stat is about to hit called strokes gained driving. It's basically looking at the effectiveness and advantages of those hitting the fairways but also Looking at the distance in and average shots to GIR from that location. There's a good article in golf digest this month on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The fairways the pro play are not 15 yards wide, not even in the US Open. Pros play to a spot to maximize their scoring opportunity. Amateurs try to hit the FW and hope for par.
But keep in mind the courses they play have fairways like 15 yards wide and are like 7000 yds. It's a little bit harder for them.

That why a new stat is about to hit called strokes gained driving. It's basically looking at the effectiveness and advantages of those hitting the fairways but also Looking at the distance in and average shots to GIR from that location. There's a good article in golf digest this month on it.

The fairways the pro play are not 15 yards wide, not even in the US Open. Pros play to a spot to maximize their scoring opportunity. Amateurs try to hit the FW and hope for par.

I understand - I was exaggerating to make a point. Their courses and setups are much more difficult in comparison to what is normal people play. That being said their strategies do vary from us as well as as you say a lot us are "swing and pray" types. I think we could all learn a lesson by taking their approach in playing to a distance and work in course management. Unfortunately we don't all have the skill set to even do that.

The 70% doesn't impress me as much as the lack of green concerns me. You have your tee game down and that is solid, not down playing it. Just trying to get you to think of the lack of greens hit. Think back to those three round and tell me where you missed. Left, right, long, short. Missing greens could be the result of many things, lie angle might be one but there are other factors.

I'd also like to know what your average approach shot distance is........are you hitting 200 yard drives and leaving 180+ approach shots......OR are you missing greens from 120 and in?

I'd also like to know what your average approach shot distance is........are you hitting 200 yard drives and leaving 180+ approach shots......OR are you missing greens from 120 and in?

I was going to ask the same question. What kind of clubs are you pulling when shooting your normal second shot? 7i, 8i? Wedge?

I unfortunately have the exact opposite senario in my golf game. I can't find the fairway to save my life off of the tee. Driver or 3w. However from 160 and in I can hit the green 70% of the time.

how much did you have to drink before your round?

The 70% doesn't impress me as much as the lack of green concerns me. You have your tee game down and that is solid, not down playing it. Just trying to get you to think of the lack of greens hit. Think back to those three round and tell me where you missed. Left, right, long, short. Missing greens could be the result of many things, lie angle might be one but there are other factors.

Strait up, I miss greens left and right. I am starting to think I should get checked out again. 3* up has to be the lefts but who knows.

At my club I can be anywhere from 180 to 90 yards out on the par 4's. Long irons tend to go right and down to wedges go left with a draw. I know my swing is bad and I am still OTT but I just cannot comprehend why I can hit fairways with a driver and I cannot hit a green?

how much did you have to drink before your round?

I havent had a drink while playing in a long while.

I did look at a few of my last rounds. 2 times FW's were 64% and the last was 71%. GIR are literally 2 or 3 a round.

I guess what I am after is, are the 2 swings that different?

yes they are different swings the driver is hitting the ball on the slight upswing or level. the irons you hit down on the ball. your main concern should be to get crisp contact with your irons if you can hit them the same distance then you can sort out the face angle/path problems later.

I havent had a drink while playing in a long while.

I did look at a few of my last rounds. 2 times FW's were 64% and the last was 71%. GIR are literally 2 or 3 a round.

I guess what I am after is, are the 2 swings that different?

i honestly try not to think about it cause i'm worried it will screw me up but i do believe for me they are but i also play with a much longer shaft in my driver which i think makes me swing differently on a drive than an iron shot. we need to meet up in Gettysburg soon.

i honestly try not to think about it cause i'm worried it will screw me up but i do believe for me they are but i also play with a much longer shaft in my driver which i think makes me swing differently on a drive than an iron shot. we need to meet up in Gettysburg soon.

Just move to VA and you can see my wonderful swing all the time.

You lie angles may be a little off but dual miss is generally a swing issue. An if I had to bet I would say you are hanging back and either flipping or not releasing the club. Are prone to right misses with the driver?
Strait up, I miss greens left and right. I am starting to think I should get checked out again. 3* up has to be the lefts but who knows.

You lie angles may be a little off but dual miss is generally a swing issue. An if I had to bet I would say you are hanging back and either flipping or not releasing the club. Are prone to right misses with the driver?

I defiantly hang back but my miss with driver is now way left, snap hook. Irons, yes my miss is about the same, left but I do miss right with longer irons and hybrids. Tempo is not my friend, just can't fix the space between the ears.

A scratch buddy I play with says my balance is way off, as well as tempo. I just find it funny I can hit fairways off the tee but not a green. More range time I guess? I was told to just go hit 80 yard shots to groove my tempo.

I defiantly hang back but my miss with driver is now way left, snap hook. Irons, yes my miss is about the same, left but I do miss right with longer irons and hybrids. Tempo is not my friend, just can't fix the space between the ears.

A scratch buddy I play with says my balance is way off, as well as tempo. I just find it funny I can hit fairways off the tee but not a green. More range time I guess? I was told to just go hit 80 yard shots to groove my tempo.

Do you have a consistent shot pattern or shot shape with your drive. or do you get up there and sometimes you're presented with a fade and sometimes your present to with a draw. what are we looking at? That will tell me a lot about why your iron play isn't as sharp you would like

Back