Driver vs 3w- fairway finder?

Acesteve

Reaction score
Handicap
Driver
Wondering how many both hit the 3w off the tee and see it land in the fairway at a rate greater then your driver?

I've not carried a 3w in some years because I found I was not statically much more accurate with the 3w yet it was at least 20 to 25 yards shorter.

4w was money, new 3w hasn't found the groove.

I tend to find the fairway more often with my 3w. But, I also hit it with less frequently than the big stick.

-Bishop

3W is such a specialty club for off the deck par 5's, one of the hardest shots to pull off in golf.
I've largely found the same over the years and tended to use the 460cc forgiveness of the driver off the tee.
I know there was analysis years ago to this effect.
Don't think enough has changed in clubs in these two spots to statistically not play driver off the tee whenever you can.

Much more accurate with my driver, but i'm so short with it there is no need to ever hit 3w from the tee.

I am as accurate with driver as 3 wood. I generally hit driver unless I am trying to avoid a trap or some other issue at a certain distance. If the hole is just narrow I hit driver.

I use two swings with my driver. a relaxed fairway finder with a slight draw. And a larger turn and past parallel at the top to step on it. I am trying to reduce the straight pushes from the latter swing. I get 30 more yards but about 20% of the drives are pushed right. 10% being unusable!

I recently pulled the driver out of the bag and started carrying a 3w instead. What I found was the the 3w is a bit straighter but the head is much smaller than the driver, so Im more likely to mishit it.
This past weekend I played 3 rounds with no driver and a 3-wood and I found that on the first 3 or 4 holes I would struggle off the tee until I got warmed up and got into a groove and would hit my tee shots thin.
With my driver, is much more consistent because the head is so much bigger than my 3w. After that weekend, I decided to go back to the driver for that reason. The 3w does work and for me gives me a nice little fade that goes about 230 yards when I hit it solid. The only problem is that I sometimes mishit it.

I don’t carry a 3 wood. My highest fairway is a heavenwood, but it doesnt end well if I try and play safe off the tee LOL
Driver
6DE5FDC7-A318-4272-83A6-866653C56CD9.jpeg
Heavenwood
FAA0D09E-C3B2-4DBE-8244-5C72B5F51320.jpeg

No difference in accuracy for me. I only take the 3W off the tee when the hole dictates.

Wondering how many both hit the 3w off the tee and see it land in the fairway at a rate greater then your driver?

I've not carried a 3w in some years because I found I was not statically much more accurate with the 3w yet it was at least 20 to 25 yards shorter.

I stopped using anything other than a driver - it's big and forgiving. When I want to make certain I need to hit a fairway or a long par 3, I think "cut" or I will grip down 2-2.5 inches on the grip almost to bottom of grip. Always seems to hit the fairway. Did it today on an uphill par 3 of 210 yrds. Teed a bit higher, thought cut, swung at 80%, nice high flight with slight cut and stopped 10 feet below cup.

appreciate all the thoughts guys. I guess I'm not totally crazy. The mentions of a big forgiving head really resonated with me as I recall having this thought several years ago before I pulled the 3w.

Nothing upsets me more when I pulled the 3w on a tight par 4 only to mishit it.

thanks for not letting me get on the 3w bandwagon again

I have been more accurate with 3 wood. I have been hitting the driver terribly. For those who are struggling with 3 wood, have you put it through enough practice to get used to it?

I have had a terrible time trying to stop hitting the driver in the heel. Gear effect off the planet misses...

Dave

Very few holes I can't hit driver on, but with 3W I am pretty accurate to the fairway.

I am less accurate with a 3W this year. By nearly 10%. I can think of a few reasons for that, but I've always maintained that a 3W never finds more fairways than a driver for me.

I hardly ever hit my 3 wood. And only once in the last 20 rounds from the tee. I'm much more apt to hit my 2h from the tee when it's super tight and I know I will have a reasonable second shot with my 2h distance. I'm about 10% above the driver in hitting fairways with the 2h than the driver. Obviously though it's a smaller sample size for the 2h though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm definitely in the camp of 3W on holes I need to find the fairway. I'm way more accurate with my 3W and I'm more confident with it too. Part of it is that I'm just not confident with my driver. That being said, I'm looking to replace my 3W as I'm still playing my Titleist 906f2 from at least 12 years ago now but I just can't let go!

I am hitting 52% of fairways with my driver and 81% with my 3 wood and 2 hybrid.

I lose around 20 to 30 yards but this year I find myself leaving the driver in the bag more and more on any hole less than 410 yards.

I find the fairway propably better with driver than with my 5w (adjusted to 17* so propably 4w). So usually I use driver unless it's a short par4 or dogleg. I'll try to leave at least 100-120yd to flag (not comfortable with full swing wedges), so if it's over 350, driver. less than that, 5w or 4h. So my choice is about distance, not accuracy.

The new Taylormade 3 Ti SIM has been a guided missile. So that has recently solidified my planning. If its tight with danger on a roll out ill go 3w. Honestly the distance loss is only 10-15 yards on a well struck shot. Not to mention the confidence in taking a strong swing with the 3w. I can get tight with the driver in hand or worse yet trying to steer it.
Ill also layup to a certain number with a 3w as well.
I shelved ego on how far I hit it while ago so I'm purely strategy based these days.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

3W is such a specialty club for off the deck par 5's, one of the hardest shots to pull off in golf.
I've largely found the same over the years and tended to use the 460cc forgiveness of the driver off the tee.
I know there was analysis years ago to this effect.
Don't think enough has changed in clubs in these two spots to statistically not play driver off the tee whenever you can.
You need to try the SIM fws. Off the deck is surprisingly easy to hit.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I'm having a bit of a fall out with my driver at the moment, woefully inconsistent and is absolutely my swing that's causing the problem. Played 18 last night and took 3w off the tee and found pretty much every fairway I aimed at. Was probably 20-30 yards shorter than with my driver, but at least I was hitting into the green off the short stuff rather than hunting for balls in the rough and hacking out of trees. Was also the first round this year where I've not lost a ball. Think there might be something in it for me.

My 3W is in the bag for approach shots into par 5's.

Off the tee, I'll only use it to avoid trouble that the driver may find, depending upon how I might be swinging on any given day, conditions, etc.

That's because, as it relates to accuracy, I really don't have any greater confidence in 3W vs driver. Probably mental, but results dictate that I'm not necessarily better off selecting 3W as it relates to specific target.

My decision as per selection is always distance related, relative to trouble.

I carry both Driver and 3W but very rarely wil I hit the driver, to be honest it's there as my longest club for drops etc

I have always preferred a 3W from the tee as its just a lot easier to hit and the misses with it are no where near as bad as with the driver

I did my stats for about a month on the 3 wood and realized it was too erratic and distances were not much better than 5 wood so I put it away for now. I use driver, 5 wood, and utility/driving 2 iron off the tee depending on the hole.

I can hit my utility iron about 195-215, 5 wood about 210-230, and driver around 220-260 and that pretty much covers the courses I play in this area. My utility iron has been my go to beast for the area doglegs that corner fairways are right around 200.

Back