DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Which of these 2 pieces of equipment has advanced in performance the most since 1990?

Ball.

Surely not the ball according to click bait king Rick Shiels

But then again he also says drivers don’t change from year to year so doesn’t that mean they are still the same as way back when.
Man he's turned in to someone that I refuse to listen to anymore

Huh. Originally when I saw the title I immediately thought "driver" but after seeing the responses I guess the ball has changed more.

It's kind of a chicken/egg situation though isn't it? Without the ball changing the driver likely wouldn't have changed either. Yes, the ball change came first, but I think it forced the driver to follow in order to maximize the benefit.

Huh. Originally when I saw the title I immediately thought "driver" but after seeing the responses I guess the ball has changed more.

It's kind of a chicken/egg situation though isn't it? Without the ball changing the driver likely wouldn't have changed either. Yes, the ball change came first, but I think it forced the driver to follow in order to maximize the benefit.
Oh definitely. And that’s why I said ball as it was to me the start of the modern golf era.

Driver, unless you hit the middle of the face all the time. Hit a persimmon or a warbird on the toe and you find out real quick.

I like the driver on this one, lots of advancement in tech. Forgiveness of modern drivers is off the charts now.
Yes the ball has advanced, but it can only get so good, drivers are still advancing.

Driver. I believe head sizes 30 years ago were sub-400cc and the improvement in forgiveness is off the charts in the last 30 years. I think I would fare better with a 30 year old ball and current driver than a 30 year old driver and current ball. Plus you also have to factor in how much shafts have improved with regards to the driver.

Going with ball

I'm going with driver. The technological advances in materials, design, size, forgiveness, speed, etc. over the past 30 years has been huge. I was playing golf 30 years ago, I remember the drivers from that era and I sure wouldn't go back to them now.

And The Golfer

59198.jpeg

I’m going with driver. I remember seeing new clubs in the stores and the drivers were smaller than my 5wood.

Let me ask in a different way.
Could you hit today’s driver with a 30 year old ball?
Could you hit today‘s ball with a 30 year old driver?
Which one would you hit better?

Driver, the ball changed drastically with the ProV. Truly a game changer. That being said current tech is everyone else's take on what they did. There's so much in the clubs have changed. Twist face, Jailbreak, infinity face, etc and it's something new almost every year. Plus when you consider what AI is doing. Got to be the driver.

Let me ask in a different way.
Could you hit today’s driver with a 30 year old ball?
Could you hit today‘s ball with a 30 year old driver?
Which one would you hit better?
I think I'd do better with today's driver with a 30 year old ball.

I think driver. Seems like more has changed year over year vs the ball. THe ball has drastically changed since then, but incrementally not as much I would guess. Could be wrong though.

Driver. I believe head sizes 30 years ago were sub-400cc and the improvement in forgiveness is off the charts in the last 30 years. I think I would fare better with a 30 year old ball and current driver than a 30 year old driver and current ball. Plus you also have to factor in how much shafts have improved with regards to the driver.
The hot drivers in 1990 were about the size of a hybrid head today. They were metal for the most part, but Ping was still making wood heads. The Big Bertha had not been released. I believe the hot driver was the Lynx Boom Boom.

1001093-aaa.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say the drivers have changed the most

Back