Driver vs Mini Driver

Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
Just curious as to how many of you have made the switch to a mini style driver like the 2deep or mini slider. Hit both today and liked what I saw

Not a chance. Less forgiveness.
If I want to change to something to add accuracy, take a regular driver in the same loft as that mini and shorten the shaft. You will get the same thing you are seeing with more forgiveness.

Had thought about that too

If I want to change to something to add accuracy, take a regular driver in the same loft as that mini and shorten the shaft. You will get the same thing you are seeing with more forgiveness.

I agree with JB. My PGA Teaching Pro has been a pro since 1965 and he has always said that the 460 cc drivers were hurting us because they twisted too much on off center hits, and that we would be better off with smaller headed drivers.

Fast forward to last year when I purchased an X Hot 3 Deep in 14.5 degrees and then traded up to the X2 Hot 3 Deep again in 14.5 degrees. For me at the two course's I'm a member, there was really only one or two holes where I thought it would be a great club for me off the tee. Turns out (and something I already knew) is that my swing just simply not repeatable enough to be accurate each and every time with that club off the tee. And then there is off the turf. I've always played well with a 3 wood off of a tight lie, so the 3 Deep was my only 3 wood. Again, I found what I already knew, which is that I'm simple not that good off of a tight lie with a deep faced wood. So I spent more money and added a 4 wood, the X Hot, shallow face version. For me, that 3 wood is the easiest wood I have ever owned off of a tight lie and of course it can be hit with the same ease, off the tee.

So, I traded in the 3 Deep and moved on. It might be the right club for some, but my guess it will turn out to be a situation much like mine. If you want a "mini" driver, just butt trim a driver to that shaft length and take the forgiveness the larger head offers. My "mini" driver experiment is over.

It sounds like I may be in the minority, but I have found much more playability since I traded in my R1 for my mini 12°. If I do ever go back to a full-size driver head, I definitely will be looking at keeping shorter shaft length. But I do not regret the switch I've made whatsoever.

Give me a proper shaft fitting with a full sized driver. No way I am voluntarily giving up the face size.

I agree I have a X Hot 13.5*HT set at closed which makes it 14.5* with an A Flex shaft (low 80's SS) shortened 2" to 44" and I can hit it Just as long as when it was at 46" but much more consistently.

Well I'm the odd man out here. I find my 3deep so much easier to hit and I have no problems hitting a driver.

My misses are far more penal with my Big Bertha Alpha than my 3deep.

But I also don't sacrifice a ton of distance like some might. My 3deep is good for about 300y and straight so it's not a big deal to not use driver as often.

I have the TM and love it. It's not as long as the 3deep but it's accurate. Not sure it would ever replace my driver

I have the TM and love it. It's not as long as the 3deep but it's accurate. Not sure it would ever replace my driver
So do you just use it off the deck like a fairway wood?

So do you just use it off the deck like a fairway wood?

I use it off the tee on short par 4 or for position on longer pars as well as off the deck

I agree I have a X Hot 13.5*HT set at closed which makes it 14.5* with an A Flex shaft (low 80's SS) shortened 2" to 44" and I can hit it Just as long as when it was at 46" but much more consistently.

I'm at 44.75 inches with my face square and I've lost nothing distance wise over the stock 46 inch length or over my previous 11.5 degree X Hot. I'll take accuracy any day, all day.....

I'm at 44.75 inches with my face square and I've lost nothing distance wise over the stock 46 inch length or over my previous 11.5 degree X Hot. I'll take accuracy any day, all day.....

I put an 11.5* head on the shortened shaft and lost distance.

I have both ... I use the regular driver over the mini

but I do not fully understand cutting the shaft ... I simply choke down ... If the rough isn't bad I will take close to the fairway and 20'ish yards farther ... Could mean the difference in 1-2 clubs ...

No way would i give up my Driver and use my mini instead it is for use on par 4 where i need to hit it short of something or off the deck on long open holes

Hasn't worked out that way for me. I have been trying to find a "thriver" for a long time. Cut down several different 12-13 degree drivers and never really found anything I was that much more consistent with than my driver. Partially I think because the higher lofted drivers tend to have or appear to have a somewhat closed face. Not good for someone who's miss in a hook or a pull. Put a 3Deep in the bag this past week, and in three rounds I have not needed a driver. It is as long or longer for me than the cut down drivers, with much tighter dispersion. I have only missed about 4 fairways in 3 rounds on a tight course. Still kind of early in the experiment, but never had those kind of results before.

Easily fixable with adjustable driver however.

I'm with JB on this one. After trying to find a mini-driver / strong 3W solution for my tee game I eventually cut down the shaft on my R1. I mostly play it at 11.25. This is as good a set up for me as I've ever had. I have validated with the VC100 that I haven't lost any distance, just traded slightly higher SS/off center hits for slightly lower SS/centered strikes. Dispersion is night and day better this way though. It is hard for me to see the day that I go back to full length driver ever again.

Easily fixable with adjustable driver however.
That is probably true since I have not tried it with an adjustable driver. May also have to do with my angle of attack being more suited to a more 3 wood type head that I don't tee up as high also. Not sure, but different strokes for different folks. Just gotta do what's works best, and try it both ways to see what suits your swing the best. Really kind of surprised me because I would have thought the cut down driver would have worked better for me also.

I've considered using my 3 Wood off the tee since it has the smaller head but I need all the face I can get off the 460cc since I'm very new. Anything smaller than my regular driver I'm honestly not ready for. I considered buying the older VR Pro Limited Edition Forged Driver with the 430cc head but that's for more experienced players off the tee and that I'm not. The 3 wood is the closest I have to that and I need to get my practice in before I use the mini drivers as my primary. Bigger the head for me the better. [h=1][/h]

Not going to ever replace the driver for me, but it's great in situations. Love the 2 Deep and Alpha, but there's no doubt which one is longer for me.

I have considered adding the 3deep since it gives me an average 11yds more carry over my current 3wd but it's not a driver replacement for me.

I am going to be very interested in the next couple of weeks. In the MC I will have a 14 mini driver. Tonight I cut down a shaft for my Covert driver to 43.5 inches and added some lead tape to get the SW more normal. While I can't get that loft to 14 I can get it to 12.5. Recently I've had my AMP Cell fairway set to 14 and have been preferring that to the driver off most tees. Anyway, going to be fun to see what kind of wins out.

I love my Big Bertha driver, I replaced my 3 wood with a 16* mini because I just could not hit a 3 wood have always had problems with it. I'm using the mini off the tee when I don't need to hit it quite as far and its working for me so far its just so much easier to hit off the tee than a 3 wood for me. I even hit it off the deck three times in my last round and had good results, but I would not even think about using it off of a tight lie. It will never replace my driver though..

Never thought about it this way. Makes so much sense though!

Back