stevieray

Reaction score
So it seems I have lost some distance switching from a TM M2 9.5 degree driver, to a TM M6 D-Type 10.5 degree. What I am struggling to figure out is if my swing has changed, which is possible, or is it the club, or the loft, or did I just get slower, as i am a bit older now, almost 60. Last time on a simulator a decent shot was 191 carry, 214 total yards, club speed 92, backspin was 2353, sidespin 622. Last time I played seems like a would hit a good shot that went straight down the fairway, but in only went about 190. I can hit 200 with my 3 wood most of the time. BTW, the club was a gift so I do not get fitted.

Tough to say for sure. Have you hit both side by side on the same hole? That's probably the easiest and most economical way to see if one it outperforming the other. There are lot of variables in both of those clubs that could create the scenario of one being longer than the other.

I recall about 15 years ago buying a Titleist driver with a blue and yellow shaft (can't remember the shaft) and out on the course the ball went straight but I lost at about 30 yards...same loft as my other driver. I think it was the kick point / torque that was causing the issue. To that extent I've demo'd some new drivers like the SIM, new Big Bertha, Cobra, etc, (not fitted - just allowed to take out on the course) and I can't find one that performs as well as my old Ping G15 or G20. My G400Max is a great club but there's something about the shaft that's just a little "off" in terms of the timing of my swing.

So it seems I have lost some distance switching from a TM M2 9.5 degree driver, to a TM M6 D-Type 10.5 degree. What I am struggling to figure out is if my swing has changed, which is possible, or is it the club, or the loft, or did I just get slower, as i am a bit older now, almost 60. Last time on a simulator a decent shot was 191 carry, 214 total yards, club speed 92, backspin was 2353, sidespin 622. Last time I played seems like a would hit a good shot that went straight down the fairway, but in only went about 190. I can hit 200 with my 3 wood most of the time. BTW, the club was a gift so I do not get fitted.
If the tips interchange try swapping your old shaft into the new head. YMMV

me as well. Until the original poster has hit both side by side the story is not clear. Swapping the shafts makes the testing very effective. I was out on the range this summer with my driver at the time (wilson triton) and the prior generation. I was hitting the wilson well and put the shaft of the prior year model in my driver and lost 20 yards. The monitor said so but I could see it as well. I could say the other shaft was pure junk but a friend of mine hits that old wilson driver and shaft great. When I went to clean the club I noticed he was drilling the center of the clubface in a way that I don't normally see when I clean my driver.

short story- all about the combination of what you do vs the shaft.

Back