Drivers, 3Ws and golf swings.

InTheRough

Course Botanist
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 16.2
I don't know if this should go here or in clubs.

My Callaway GBB Epic has been costing me about 5-7 strokes every round this year. Five shots go into the woods. Sometimes it takes two to escape. My miss is a 35 yd slice. Swing path out to in with an open club face. Every now and then I catch it right and it goes straighter... usually a slight pull that's on the left side of the fairway. I have zero confidence with it.

So Monday, I went to get fit... the driver was "too new" to need a new one. So I ended up with a 3W. Cobra F9. Funny thing is that I have an in to out swing with it and hit a draw. Occasionally my miss is a push fade (still in to out swing). Fine, I'm in the fairway but I lose 20 yds.

Not wanting to give up the 20 yds. I called Ping today and told them about my miss and swing path issues. Their standard length is 45-3/4". I want a 44" driver. They can build it and will do weight balancing. I heard their G410 is more forgiving than my grandmother was. But I tried the Taylormade Original One Mini first, and like every Taylormade driver I've ever tried, I sliced the bejeezus out of it. So I ended up with a 44" G410 Plus 12 degree with an Alta CB 65 shaft instead of the CB 55. I hit a sweet spot with the heavier shaft. I can feel the drop better. It will be here in about a week or so.

The interesting thing here is how my swing shallows with the shorter club.

The interesting thing here is how my swing shallows with the shorter club.

That is interesting. I spent an evening earlier this year trying to figure out if the same thing happened to me or if it was a difference in video point of view, or an illusion created by the difference in length, or what. Couldn't solve it, but I sure looked shallower.

Excited for you on the new driver coming. Read the grandmother bit to my wife and she laughed like I did. I've hit the G410. It is forgiving, but nothing compares to grandma. :p

That is interesting. I spent an evening earlier this year trying to figure out if the same thing happened to me or if it was a difference in video point of view, or an illusion created by the difference in length, or what. Couldn't solve it, but I sure looked shallower.

Excited for you on the new driver coming. Read the grandmother bit to my wife and she laughed like I did. I've hit the G410. It is forgiving, but nothing compares to grandma. :p

The club path was according to GC Quad. The store put down D2 instead of D3 which is fine by me. It fits with my other woods. I has been an expensive week. I have no equipment excuses next year. None. Zip. I should hit more fairways which means more chances for GIRs which should give me chances for more pars.

Shorter and heavier shafts can help with an over the top move. It sounds like a good experiment.

Back