Drivers, Woods and Hybrids

Murray

Reaction score
Handicap
How important is it to get these fitted to your specs? All of my irons and wedges are +0.5" and 2*upright, but whenever I buy a driver/wood/hybrid I am always told to leave the length alone. Wondered if anyone here had any input?

Thanks

its always a good idea to get your clubs fitted. the length of your clubs prob has something to do with your height. my boss at work is 6' 6" and had to have his clubs custom made because of this.

I get fitted for everything but the advisors/pros at the driving range/store I get my gear from all say to leave the woods alone...

With the length of todays drivers, I would not worry about that as much as other perimeters. Launch, Spin, Shaft, Etc. All areas that people can see dramatic difference. Here is what we normally see or hear about.

"I play a stiff shaft, my SS is at XYZ". This is not good because there is no industry standard on shafts. One company's stiff can be another company's regular and/or XS.
Getting a driver dialed in launch wise can be the difference in 20-30 yards of distance and/or accuracy.

Ah I see. So it would essentially be a fitting for a shaft? Over the last few weeks I have come to realise how important a shaft is on a club. Understanding what would be best for me, that's something I don't! There are so many shafts out there it's difficult to know which one to try etc. The 2 places I normally buy my stuff from don't seem to push any thing else than the stock. I think I need to go to a proper manufacture fitting centre so I can try everything as opposed to 1 club in S or R flex

I think there is a lot more awareness around this now Murray....for all clubs, not just drivers.....heck THP has it's own shaft tester now so that shows how important shafts are to one's game now.

Ah I see. So it would essentially be a fitting for a shaft? Over the last few weeks I have come to realise how important a shaft is on a club. Understanding what would be best for me, that's something I don't! There are so many shafts out there it's difficult to know which one to try etc. The 2 places I normally buy my stuff from don't seem to push any thing else than the stock. I think I need to go to a proper manufacture fitting centre so I can try everything as opposed to 1 club in S or R flex

It certainly seems so. I am looking to buy a Titleist 910 5-wood soon and it comes in 6 different shaft options that I can have fitted. There's no way I can test them all, so will have to go on research. Am I right in thinking the lighter the shaft, the higher ball flight?

While the shaft is important, so is playing the right loft of a driver, as well is finding what flex works the best. Like JB said, not all regulars are the same nor are all stiff's the same. As someone who typically plays his irons around 1/2'' longer and 2-3* upright, I've never had a wood that matched those specs. However, I always take time to "fit" my woods to me by getting on a launch monitor and looking for something that gives me ideal launch conditions. I think that's far more important with a driver, finding something that gives you ideal #'s, than if it's upright/flat/longer/shorter.

It certainly seems so. I am looking to buy a Titleist 910 5-wood soon and it comes in 6 different shaft options that I can have fitted. There's no way I can test them all, so will have to go on research. Am I right in thinking the lighter the shaft, the higher ball flight?

I'd say yes and no. Some shafts that are light weight are made for low to mid launch. I could conceivably get the 39g Miyazaki C. Kua shaft, and with the perfect Int'l flex code, find a shaft that is low launching. I think it's ingrained in our brains to think that light weight = high launch.

While the shaft is important, so is playing the right loft of a driver, as well is finding what flex works the best. Like JB said, not all regulars are the same nor are all stiff's the same. As someone who typically plays his irons around 1/2'' longer and 2-3* upright, I've never had a wood that matched those specs. However, I always take time to "fit" my woods to me by getting on a launch monitor and looking for something that gives me ideal launch conditions. I think that's far more important with a driver, finding something that gives you ideal #'s, than if it's upright/flat/longer/shorter.

TC summed it up well here. Its not just shaft. Its loft as well and all of that to get proper launch conditions. It can turn out that standard shafts work perfectly in a different loft and/or flex point, but there should never be assumption that this one works because I normally play "stiff".

I think I am going to read about shafts all day as it's pouring down with rain... what a fun saturday! :)

Thanks for the info guys, I understand everything a lot better now.

I think I am going to read about shafts all day as it's pouring down with rain... what a fun saturday! :)

Thanks for the info guys, I understand everything a lot better now.

Any time bro. There's so many shaft options out there anymore that it can be overwhelming at times, but the internet is awesome for educating yourself, and more than likely, someone out there has reviewed a shaft that's on your radar that finding thoughts and information won't be too difficult.

As always, thanks again, JB. I think I will keep my current driver for another year and test some at the 2012 THP demo day :) If invited of course! These 2 shows will help me with the 5 wood, though. I'll let you know the outcome

Any time bro. There's so many shaft options out there anymore that it can be overwhelming at times, but the internet is awesome for educating yourself, and more than likely, someone out there has reviewed a shaft that's on your radar that finding thoughts and information won't be too difficult.

Thanks, TC. There is indeed a lot of companies making shafts - all saying they are no.1 on tour as well! ha

As always, thanks again, JB. I think I will keep my current driver for another year and test some at the 2012 THP demo day :) If invited of course! These 2 shows will help me with the 5 wood, though. I'll let you know the outcome

Of course you are invited. First come first serve to register at THP outings as long as someone is on the forums. We would love to have you.

Very important to have these clubs fit. The shaft fitting is a must. My driver, 3 wood and 3 hybrid have had the length adjusted and my hybrid has been bent 1 degree flat.

Very important to have these clubs fit. The shaft fitting is a must. My driver, 3 wood and 3 hybrid have had the length adjusted and my hybrid has been bent 1 degree flat.

do you have the same shaft in all woods

do you have the same shaft in all woods

No. Same in the driver and 3 wood, but different in the 3 hybrid. I have pretty much a standard regular shaft in my irons and hybrid with each club bent slightly.

In my driver, the fitting showed me years ago that I needed more loft, so I play a 12 degree with a light regular or senior flex lightweight shaft. I'm 50 and need the lightweight with a little more flex than you younger guys. The higher loft does not result in any real loss of distance either as many would be lead to believe. It is all about putting it all together, loft, shaft weight, flex, and length.

Here are my specs from driver to lob wedge as far as adjustments go;
Driver
3 Wood
3 Hybrid
4 Iron
5 Iron
6 Iron
7 Iron
8 Iron
9 Iron
PW
GW