Driving distance question?

Scratchnurse

Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Right now I'm playing a titleist 913d2 with a 11* head. I was at golf galaxy one day and they randomly had a couple open box driver heads for sale for $20 each. I used to have a pretty bad slice with my older taylor made burner, but with the titleist I'm incredibly straight off the tee. Because it was just a head and I wanted to see if I liked hitting it, I just put one of the cheapest shafts they had on it from golf galaxy a grafolly prolaunch red s. I absolutely love that I'm finally hitting my driver with confidence, but the problem is I'm topping out at about 250-260 distance wise. Not too big of a deal I guess, being in the fairway is generally better than being longer, but I feel like I can do better. Just kind of wondering what you guys think?

Getting a new driver seems kind of silly, but I might do that next year.
Replace the shaft for something a little more advanced that will help keep the ball down better?
look into getting lessons?

any advice is great, thanks guys.

Not sure the actual question. But 250-260 is good if your swing speed is 100 mph, not so much 110. I am sure you can gain a few yards by optimizing launch conditions if that is what you are asking.

Unless you are teeing the ball low currently and not getting optimum launch for your drives, you are not going to see any significant improvement on your distance. Plus 250-260 yards is a very respectable distance for anyon except tour pros.

Many guys here would give their left nuts to hit 250-260 "incredibly straight" drives. Furthermore, why would you change that kind of confidence off the tee. Instead I'd start shopping for NOS of the titleist 913d2 and the exact shafts you have for back up.

I agree with Rusty. Straight shots in the fairway trump long shots in the trees any day of the week. So what if you pick up an additional 10 or 20 yards. How much is that really going to impact your score? Low scores come from improving your putting and short game.

Chasing a few more yards, at the expense of accuracy, is a fool's errand. I speak from experience. Few of us, informed that we had just struck a 299 yard drive, would resist the impulse to find another 3 feet; but to what purpose? Is 260, down the middle, a sign of inadequacy? Hardly.

I agree with Rusty. Straight shots in the fairway trump long shots in the trees any day of the week. So what if you pick up an additional 10 or 20 yards. How much is that really going to impact your score? Low scores come from improving your putting and short game.

In my case the extra yardage gets me about 6 feet closer to the pin. Not sure what that works out to score wise.

Unless you are teeing the ball low currently and not getting optimum launch for your drives, you are not going to see any significant improvement on your distance. Plus 250-260 yards is a very respectable distance for anyon except tour pros.

Many guys here would give their left nuts to hit 250-260 "incredibly straight" drives. Furthermore, why would you change that kind of confidence off the tee. Instead I'd start shopping for NOS of the titleist 913d2 and the exact shafts you have for back up.

I'd give left and right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

250 is long enough to be a scratch golfer. Heck the average PGA Tour driving distance is 289 and there are very, very, very few men over a 5 index that average over 275 yards. Work on the rest of your game and stop trying to hit it farther.

Back