Driving/Utility Irons for High Handicappers?!

HFW2021

Reaction score
Are driving/utility irons a good alternative for more consistent tee shots (for high handicappers) as opposed to using a driver off the tee?

If so, are there certain driving/utility irons that are more forgiving than others?

Thanks

I tried searching for it, but I can't find it under the key words I was thinking of. There are the Titleist U series that (I thought) had a review here. Cleveland also had one that was reviewed recently UHX maybe? You could also look at the T300 in a 3 or 4 iron (not sure if they make one in 1-2).

I know that some people having issues off the tee with their driver use a 3W instead and usually see good results.

Utility irons there's been the Uihi or something like that from Ben Hogan I think... they've got a try before you buy program. Try the club for 30 days and if you like it buy it; if not, send it back. A small deposit is required.

@Jman is a very good source of information. He's one of the staff writers here and tests a LOT of clubs. Maybe he can give a bit of insight on utility irons and driving irons that are more forgiving.

I would say it depends. If you are a high handicap because you are not a very long hitter then a driving iron is not going to help you much. They are not great weapons without a lot of clubhead speed. If you are a long hitter and you struggle to keep the ball on line they may help. All that said, I would be really surprised if a high handicapper is going to hit a driving iron for better results long term over a driver.

Also a driving iron is generally still less forgiving than a standard Game Improvement iron that most manufacturers make. For instance with Titleist I could hit a T300 much easier than the U series.

They're pretty expensive (nearly driver cost) but the new Epic Super Hybrid would be a great alternative for getting off the tee. Granted my sample with this is pretty small, but it's proven to be incredibly easy to hit and it's fair to say I'm not the most consistent swinger of a club.

The longer length of the driver will be the issue for most of the golfers. Nothing couldn't be cured by practicing some more. If you don't have time to put in the necessary practice time, then , use a fairway wood off the tee.
I can't see anyone who could use a driving iron well when they couldn't hit a driver off the tee ( or fairway woods/ hybrids ).
Driving irons needs proper swing speed to be effectively used, off the tee and off the turf. Driver is longer in length but with larger volume (430 cc- 460 cc ) plus the golf ball is propped up on a tee. hitting into a target > 50 yards in width .... should be one of the easiest golf club in the bag with practice.
Most of the golfers failed in selecting the proper height for teeing up the golf ball and not understand the path of the golf swing. Timing will come with practice and there is no short cut.

In other words, there is no magic wand,

Had a driving iron, years ago, qnd honestly i wish i had it back. It may be a bit more forgiving than a driver, but you may use yardage.

I know its not the question you asked, and it goes against every mancard law not to suggest buying a new golf club😁.....but looking at my past, i always thought changing or buying a new club would get me better results. This year after 20+ years on the course took some lessons. And one of the eye openers I knew, but never admitted to was guidance to correct my swing flaws, really gave me the Ahh haa moment. They may be just as affordable as a new club, and it may make the entire game more enjoyable for all clubs vs just a chance one club change may change that one shot.

Still far from a scratch golfer, but seeing less errant shots makes my rounds more enjoyable for me.

It will depend on the person. Maybe see if you can get your hands on one and see what happens. I have a Maltby I used to use and it was great. The only problem I had was that I hit it too low all the time. Hard for me to hit it exactly the way it needed to be hit.

I tried this experiment as a 20-21 handicap with a 2i and it doesn’t help much.

It really only went about 20 yards further than my 5i and that was only when I hit it clean which was 1 out of 7 times. It gave me almost no additional yardage over my 3H and was about the same as my 5W. It’s a little harder to slice than both of those clubs but overall it’s tough to hit in its own ways and I personally gained little by using it.

My swing speed is roughly 97-100 on my driver for comparison.

As a high handicapper myself I can only give you my personal experience. I've had a rock relationship with driver and have frequently used alternate tee clubs. I can't make fairway woods work, and hybrids are hit or miss, so I dove into the driving/utility iron world a bit.

For a good while I had great success with a Ping Crossover. It was a 4 (no idea on the loft). I found it easy to hit straight and elevate. Unfortunately, 200 yards was about my tops with it. I went searching for more distance and got a Cleveland Launcher UHX 3 utility (I play UHX irons as well and love them). So far (through three or four rounds and about as many range sessions), I can't do anything with that sucker. I just can't elevate it. I know swing speed isn't the issue...there's just something about it that gives me fits.

So...based on my personal experience I'd say your success may be highly dependent on the particular club. Try a few and see if something works for you.

They tend to be less forgiving than a driver due to the smaller head size. However if you struggle with consistency of strike with your driver the shorter shaft can help with that. They should go much shorter than a driver but if it is in the fairway that makes a big difference.

For most players, long irons have always been the most difficult clubs in the bag to hit which is why hybrids have taken their place in so many players bags. Unless you have a lot of confidence in your long iron play, I‘d do what others have already suggested and lean more on fairway woods off the tee. Because the driver is called for so often during the round, for the long term benefit of your game, maybe getting some professional help with it is your best option

I've found for me, that using one off the tee is a good fairway finder. I've used the Sub 70 699U and added a Cobra Utility this summer. I think for me the shorter shaft length and more upright club allows me to keep it straighter. I give up a bit of yardage and don't really play it off the deck so it's not a mainstay in the bag. Sub 70 has a good return policy and Cobra's is adjustable with a bunch of shaft options that will allow you to find the right loft setting that works best for you.

As always, if you are able to test some that may be best.

For a high capper, I don't think I would suggest a traditional driving/utility iron. They are just too damned hard to hit. I may suggest what I have, which is a 3 hybrid-iron, specifically the Tour Edge Hot Launch E-521. I've found it very easy to find the fairway off the tee, easy to get in the air, and I smack mine around 210. It's a good weapon to have for $89 and I use it on most holes these days.

Are they a good alternative...maybe.
Are some more forgiving...maybe.

For the forgiveness, you'll have to get fit or test some. As for knowing if its a good alternative, you'll just have to try it. There is no guarantee that you are going to hit more fairways with a utility just because it's not a wood. I have a driving iron and don't always hit the fairway when I use it. I definitely prefer it to a hybrid because it's much easier for me to overdraw or hook a hybrid.

I've always preferred lofted woods into greens and driving irons from the tee into tight landing areas.

Driving irons have low trajectories, fight the wind, and roll out.
Fairway woods fly high, descend more vertically, and make more impressive ball marks when you connect.

This would apply regardless of handicap, I would think.

The caveat is that having both long irons and lofted woods is going to spread out you wedge gapping a little bit.

Handicap has nothing to do with it. My buddy plays off 24, he hits a 2 iron off the tee like a pro. If your a good iron striker that can generate some decent club head speed, then you might find they are a good alternative. I’m playing off 10, do neither of those things and can’t hit a utility for the life of me.

I'd encourage any mid-to-high handicap golfer to learn to hit low, stinging shots with either a long iron or utility iron. As a bonus, learn to fade and draw these shots too. Here's my thinking - learning to hit a low stinger () has the following benefits:

1) teaches you to impart a shallow, descending blow; this will help you with all irons and will make you a better player all around
2) teaches you to finish low and abbreviated; this helps you hit the stinger, but also helps you understand how to vary trajectory with your follow-through
3) the shot is great for trouble/escape shots
4) the shot is great for layups and 2nd shots on par-5's
5) the shot is great for finding fairways on short par-4's
6) the shot is great for playing into stiff winds

Back