Dropping Bombs with the Driver

Not 100% with driver yet, but I will always give it a shot. (y)

I'm going nuclear on a open fairway. ?

Tee it high and let it fly. Aim a little to the left side of the fairway, say a prayer to John Daly and swing for the fences. I might get 250... if the planets are aligned.

i will swing all day if the hazard isnt to the left

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

An old school golfer friend of mine who has since passed used to say "If you are going to swing out your shorts, you better swing like you got 3 balls because either you are going need to explain how you did it or drop one off when you go looking for it."

You have to go for it.

If you are worried about losing your golf ball then you should play with cheaper balls.

I’ll pretty much let it rip regardless of trouble. End up taking a lot of penalties!

I have only one swing with a driver (or any full swing club) sand it involves every muscle in my body, lol.

Not saying I have confidence in it, just saying there’s only one swing I know. I think I’m going to try to develop a bunt-cut drive for 2020 so I have a safer option on problem holes. Right now it’s either driver or 4i, if I’m really struggling I might hit hybrid as I have worked out a bunt swing with that.

Trouble or not i am if i pull the driver it is going as far as i can hit it! Some days that works well and some days i practice making a lot of recovery shots :ROFLMAO:

The danger to me, if I go all out with the driver, is a pulled muscle. It happened about 5 years ago resulting in a groin pull, which kept me out of service for around a month. Never again will I swing a driver 100%!

The danger to me, if I go all out with the driver, is a pulled muscle. It happened about 5 years ago resulting in a groin pull, which kept me out of service for around a month. Never again will I swing a driver 100%!
Ouch - not good! I could see that happening if one is not careful.

My driver only comes out of my bag when I see a generous landing area.
Otherwise, it's an ugly but straight line drive with my driving iron.

When my driver accomplishes bombs, I don't want them to be f-bombs from my mouth.

Yes but I'll rarely swing harder.

When I want more distance, I'll tee it a little higher, widen my stance by 2 or 3 inches, create a little more shoulder tilt at address, and take it back low and slow.

Same effort but the wider arc and higher tee'd ball can offer more speed... when I time it up correctly, that is.

100% every time I have driver on the tee I am swinging for the fences. Wide open, trouble spots, OB left/right.

Go big. Its just a ball and a penalty otherwise.

Driver is my least confident club by far but I'm working on it. Often a 3 wood off the tee is a much better option

Since I started hitting the G400max last year I have no fear. I drove the ball well with my 2016 M2 before the MAX it the max is on a different planet. I swing as hard as I want with no fear. Looking to pick one up in 9 degrees to go along with my 10.5

Bombing the Fairway is FUN.

If you have a properly fitted New Driver :drinks:

Glory favors the bold. Any landing area is still a landing area.

I don't swing for the fences, but with a wide open landing area you have to open it up a little. Trouble on one side, it depends on the trouble and which side. If it's on the left and it's serious, I'll stick with my normal swing.

As evidenced yesterday, I hit it further when I don’t try to hit bombs. I crushed a few yesterday which was really weird cause I could not catch my breathe at all. Usually thinking you aren’t breathing would not be good for a golf swing. I touched out the round and then went to the ER for the worst asthma attack I have ever had. Maybe I should just not breathe when swinging a driver from now on :unsure:

Oh yes, I tend to go after it. As long as the control and balance is there, then tee it high and then open the shoulders. Am going to do some flexibility training this year to try and help this, I've got quite a bad back, so if I've had a round where I go after it more than usual then I'm in real discomfort for the next day or so.

Due to my back problems, I never swing for the fences, but I have no hesitation in pulling driver regardless of what danger there is as my driving is probably the strongest part of my game, especially at the moment

Yesterday was a prime example - only the 3rd time I have been on the course since last October and I think I missed 2-3 fairways all day in cold and rainy conditions, and one of those was when my back spasmed in my downswing and I almost missed the ball

There is one course I play that when I get on #18 I swing totally for the fences! It is a wide open fairway and downhill all the way and we have a blast with a wide open swing on that hole. Doesn't always work out, but sometimes you really hit a long carry and rollout there.

Back