Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
This could easily be called the old fogy lobby. :D Drugs: success or failures

I was prescribed an anti - inflammatory yesterday called celebrex. Has anyone used this med and if so what is your personal opinion? I was prescribed one 200 mg daily with food. I'm hoping it will help keep my knee and hip cooled down.

Last edited:
I love drugs!

I have a 50mg prescription of Diclofenac and 75mg prescription as well. The first one was for strained SI joint and the second one is for my herniated disc.

both work very well, I usually take them after a few days of really hard work or if I'm playing a ton of golf. They usually help with the day to day stuff.

I've used celebrex before when I had some wrist problems, helped with the inflammation for sure. It never bothered my stomach even though it says use with food, but that's just me. Honestly I'm usually all for whatever makes your life easier or less painful most of the time. It's hard enough as it is

I love drugs!

I have a 50mg prescription of Diclofenac and 75mg prescription as well. The first one was for strained SI joint and the second one is for my herniated disc.

both work very well, I usually take them after a few days of really hard work or if I'm playing a ton of golf. They usually help with the day to day stuff.

I've had this one before a few years back and it does work well. My wife takes it today for her planters fasciitis and she swears by it. If the Celebrex fails or side effects are too harsh I will get back on this one.

Last edited:
my wife is a pharmacist, and one of my clients is a business analyst for a major pharmaceutical company. i'm not saying big pharma isn't without its shady and questionable history, but so much good has come from the r&d and investment put into drugs that i think it's one of man's greatest achievements. i remember sitting a spell with my great grandmother who was 96 at the time, and asking her what the single biggest advancement was that she had seen in her lifetime. i expected automobiles, or maybe airplanes. she said medicine. the deadly diseases of her formative years had become after-thoughts. pretty incredible.

as far as anti-inflammatories, i think celebrex is very good. the best i have ever taken was vioxx. that stuff was a miracle drug! but it was eventually discontinued due to increased risk of heart attack.

Post broken leg surgery, I was prescribed Heparin for 90 days. Required an injection to the abdomen 3x's a day. It was the absolute worst but effective and necessary to prevent blood clots. Always wondered if there was an alternative method or drug to replace the drug I was using.

still have nightmares about the next dose.

Post broken leg surgery, I was prescribed Heparin for 90 days. Required an injection to the abdomen 3x's a day. It was the absolute worst but effective and necessary to prevent blood clots. Always wondered if there was an alternative method or drug to replace the drug I was using.

My wife had to do Lovenox in her abdomen for a month while pregnant with our first son. She absolutely hated it. Luckily after the month of using it she had another blood panel done and showed she could stop and just take a baby asprin. I can't stand needles so I couldn't even be in the room when she had to do those shots. I nearly passed out when I saw the doctor doing her epidural during delivery.

if you wonder why drugs cost what they cost, check this out. my client who is involved in the business analysis side only deals with the fda drug trial costs, and they're staggering, typically over $1 billion. he said so often they'll find a great alternative drug to something currently on the market, but the economics of going through the r&d, then the approval trials, then forecasting sales ultimately kill the drug. so there are billions of dollars in sunk costs for failed drugs that are actually really good drugs, but won't make the company enough money to pursue.

For my back I generally get skelexen or flexoril (muscle relaxers). I once took one of my wife's Soma's for my back. Holy crap there is a reason it is banned in the EU.

Plavix is a safer alternative. Once a day oral tablet. No blood levels to check.

I try to avoid most medications, but I do take Mobic daily, its easier on my stomach than Ibuporfin and really helps with inflation.

I was prescribed an anti - inflammatory yesterday called celebrex. Has anyone used this med and if so what is your personal opinion? I was prescribed one 250 mg daily with food. I'm hoping it will help keep my knee and hip cooled down.

I have a family history of high blood pressure so take medication for that (Lisinopril, one tablet daily)

Other than that I don't tend to take drugs unless I really need to, but with my slipped disc I was taking Ibuprofen and Co-codamol when the pain was too much

For my back I generally get skelexen or flexoril (muscle relaxers). I once took one of my wife's Soma's for my back. Holy crap there is a reason it is banned in the EU.

I did flexoril for my back after a car accident in college. I hate pain medications so that was the only thing they could give me to help. Even those made me feel loopy for a few days until I got used to it.

Celebrex at that dosage won't do much good. I take 800mg ibprophen and hydro for my pain in the hip. It works for 6 hiur stretches.

I'm hoping everyone consults their doctor or pharmacist before making the decision to take medications. I'm a pharmacist and really caution my patients who seek medication advice online. I know this is just an opinion thread but I've already read things that are misguided. To comment on Ole Gray's original post; I'm assuming you meant 200mg celebrex and that would be an appropriate dose for your treatment. All NSAIDS carry a risk of heart attack (among other things). Celebrex blocks one of the two primary inflammatory chemicals which is great because there is significantly less risk of stomach bleed/ulcer compared to other NSAIDS that block both. My father has found a lot of success with celebrex for his hip pain after other products failed. I would make sure you have discussed all the precautions with your physician and understand the risks and benefits of taking Celebrex.

If at all possible I stay away from all over the counter and prescription drugs other than beer a few days each week. I took pain killers for 1-2 days after each on of my 4 surgeries and I also took about a 20 or so 200mg Naproxen last year for lower back pain.

Celebrex at that dosage won't do much good. I take 800mg ibprophen and hydro for my pain in the hip. It works for 6 hiur stretches.
The Hydro and a couple beers usually work

I'm hoping everyone consults their doctor or pharmacist before making the decision to take medications. I'm a pharmacist and really caution my patients who seek medication advice online. I know this is just an opinion thread but I've already read things that are misguided. To comment on Ole Gray's original post; I'm assuming you meant 200mg celebrex and that would be an appropriate dose for your treatment. All NSAIDS carry a risk of heart attack (among other things). Celebrex blocks one of the two primary inflammatory chemicals which is great because there is significantly less risk of stomach bleed/ulcer compared to other NSAIDS that block both. My father has found a lot of success with celebrex for his hip pain after other products failed. I would make sure you have discussed all the precautions with your physician and understand the risks and benefits of taking Celebrex.
Glad your here Andy. Wouldn't want Gray abusing drugs.

I was prescribed an anti - inflammatory yesterday called celebrex. Has anyone used this med and if so what is your personal opinion? I was prescribed one 250 mg daily with food. I'm hoping it will help keep my knee and hip cooled down.

My father is 80 and is taking this. He says it has helped a lot with his arthritis pain. Not sure if he has any side effect issues, but none he has said anything about.

O.G. I was on Celebrex for several years for back pain /knee and loved it, but I was taken off it because it greatly increases the risk of Heart attack in some people and I was in that group.

I was also on Mobic up until about 6 months ago and then was taken off that for the same reasons, just have to deal with the pain now until I get moving and loosen up.

As the doc says, just lose the weight and the pain with be less. Easy for them to say.

You are correct as it's 200 mg Dailey ?. I don't' know where I got the 250 from . Anyways I'm glad that it's easier on the tummy than most ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a heads-up on all NSAID medications. They do erode the stomach lining over time and shouldn't be taken daily for extended periods. Rheumatologists, Orthos, and Pain Docs I used to sell to only recommended use of these drugs for around 90 days. Then, take a medication "holiday" and stop using it for a few weeks. Risks of GI bleed are higher because of the erosion of the stomach lining and over 100,000 patients are hospitalized each year just because of these bleeds. Definitley consult with a physician regarding long-term use...

I've used Celebrex and it certainly does work. I have arthritis in many of my joints. Very effective drug but my insurance refuses to pay for it. So when it gets real bad I take a couple of Alieve's and that usually knocks it back to a tolerable level. I'm not supposed to take NSAIDs (heart attack) but when it gets real bad so be it. I don't use them more than once or twice a month and family doctor says OK to very occasional use.

I wish you well on the pain issue. The worst drugs I ever had wereLipitor and Metoporol. Former messed up my mind, I couldn;t think. The latter made me so tired It was a major toil just to make 8 hours at work. I'm off both and doing well. I'm on a very mild colesterol drug and diet takes care of the rest. Plavix is the only holdover from the heart meds. And I'll be on that the rest of my life as probably the colesterol med.

Mark Shuman

my wife is a pharmacist, and one of my clients is a business analyst for a major pharmaceutical company. i'm not saying big pharma isn't without its shady and questionable history, but so much good has come from the r&d and investment put into drugs that i think it's one of man's greatest achievements. i remember sitting a spell with my great grandmother who was 96 at the time, and asking her what the single biggest advancement was that she had seen in her lifetime. i expected automobiles, or maybe airplanes. she said medicine. the deadly diseases of her formative years had become after-thoughts. pretty incredible.

as far as anti-inflammatories, i think celebrex is very good. the best i have ever taken was vioxx. that stuff was a miracle drug! but it was eventually discontinued due to increased risk of heart attack.

A lot of people like to complain about the US health system, but anytime a new drug cures an illness or treats a symptom, thank the American health care system. Anytime an organ is transplanted anywhere in the world, thank the American health care system, any time a high speed radiology device makes exploratory surgery unnecessary, thank the American health care system. Most medical advancements come from our free enterprise system because of that dirty little concept called the profit motive.

When it comes to medical advancements, especially drugs, we are picking up the R and D costs for the world. Until the patent expires, a generic version of the drug can not be sold in the US. But that is not necessarily true in other countries. So the companies sell at generic prices to maintain the market share and sales in other countries, Additionally, many of those drugs going through trials in this country are being used for patient care in other locales.

I hope that Celebrex is working for you. It was pretty good for me but now I take Meloxicam (mobic) I like it, just one little pill per day.

Next week is a new experience for me, the doc is sending me to get an injection in my left hip, somehow using xray or something to get it to the right spot. I think it is a mixture of steroid and pain killer.

Back