Dual balance my putter

barryboymunro

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys need a bit of advice, I've searched and can't find anything specific.

Picked up an almost new Futura X5 putter for a steal & would like to dual balance it. I'll get my weight and new grip etc but do I need to lengthen the shaft? It's sitting at 34inch so can I just put a weight in the grip and away I go or would that be silly?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skywalker55

Reaction score
Handicap
Adding a counter weight to a 34" putter was how players counter balanced putters before the whole " Counterbalance" term took over. So, no that wouldn't be silly at all. I would try something like 40-50 grams.

sleuth

Reaction score
Handicap
3.3 GHIN
I counter balanced my putter for a number of years at 34". You do not need to lengthen it - it'll just take less counter weight to get the feel you want. I can't really recommend you a certain weight, but I have a 40g and 60g weight that I enjoyed.

A cheap way to find the correct weight is purchasing a threaded bolt and washers at a hardware store. Each washer is roughly 5g and you can test that by threading the bolt through the end of your putter grip.

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
For me, when counter balancing a putter myself I typically like to add about an inch or so on to it. All of the putters I counterbalanced myself I took them from 35" to 36.5". I keep my grip in the same location and allow the extrra 1.5" and weight to be through my hands and extend out a bit. I find that gives me a very nice counterbalanced feel on the putter for a smooth putting stroke.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in