Dual balance my putter

barryboymunro

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys need a bit of advice, I've searched and can't find anything specific.

Picked up an almost new Futura X5 putter for a steal & would like to dual balance it. I'll get my weight and new grip etc but do I need to lengthen the shaft? It's sitting at 34inch so can I just put a weight in the grip and away I go or would that be silly?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding a counter weight to a 34" putter was how players counter balanced putters before the whole " Counterbalance" term took over. So, no that wouldn't be silly at all. I would try something like 40-50 grams.

I counter balanced my putter for a number of years at 34". You do not need to lengthen it - it'll just take less counter weight to get the feel you want. I can't really recommend you a certain weight, but I have a 40g and 60g weight that I enjoyed.

A cheap way to find the correct weight is purchasing a threaded bolt and washers at a hardware store. Each washer is roughly 5g and you can test that by threading the bolt through the end of your putter grip.

For me, when counter balancing a putter myself I typically like to add about an inch or so on to it. All of the putters I counterbalanced myself I took them from 35" to 36.5". I keep my grip in the same location and allow the extrra 1.5" and weight to be through my hands and extend out a bit. I find that gives me a very nice counterbalanced feel on the putter for a smooth putting stroke.

Back