During a round, if I'm struggling with my driver I...

gkeller813

#UsGotThis
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Finish the sentence:

During a round, if I'm struggling with my driver I...

...grab my Speedzone 4i.

But a few rounds ago it was, I am stubborn and keep hitting driver while taking multiple penalty strokes :(.

So what do you do?

Get back to the basics?
Have one swing thought that dials you back in?
Begin shopping for a new, more forgiving driver?

If I can't hit the driver as big as the head is there's no need to try a smaller headed club.

Hit my 3 wood. My rule of thumb is I don’t hit driver on par 4’s under 390 yards unless into a stiff wind. I also often hit 3 wood off the tee on par 5’s that I know I won’t be able to go for and/or reach in two shots.

Keep firing away With the big stick.

Pray to God that I will hit my 3wood well that day or really focus on swinging smoother

Most of the time I feel like I try to find it with the big stick. If I am playing a match for money and want to guarantee I am in play I will definitely pull the 5 iron.

Pull the 3-wood, usually.

Take a smaller backswing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my ball position and continue hitting it.

If I am struggling with driver, I am likely to be struggling with all clubs in fairness, but my Srixon ZU85 2i is a good fall-back club off the tee in most situations

At the moment, my struggles are due to the changes I am trying to work through with my swing, so unless I really get things wrong, my bad swing is a push-fade, which can be a problem when a good swing is a nice draw and I have aimed down the right to account for it and then hit the push-fade...

Unfortunately logic and reality are two different things for me when I’m struggling with driver. Logic says grab the 3H. Reality is I usually try to go back to Basics with the driver and attempt to work it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thankfully I play two drivers. So what I do is bench the SZ and pull out the mini. I do it all the time when I'm just not feeling it with the big stick.

In the past it was grab my VKTR hybrid, but I believe the Big Bertha B21 has solved that!

If I'm struggling with the driver, I'll generally start wearing out my 3-wood. If I need driver distance, I'll tee it lower and play more pronounced draws and fades - shots that I know will at least curve the way I want them to, giving me a better chance to hit fairways.

I started hitting my driver really, really well. So after that, I had a round where the course was tight and I kept missing, but since I was feeling good, based on prior rounds, I kept trying to find it. Last round out I didnt have it, so I grabbed the 4i and played from the fairway each and every shot I hit with it. Much more fun then 2nd shot punch outside, or lost balls.

I’ll either use my 3W or 4i off the tee depending on the hole. I’d rather be in the fairway 50-80 yards short than hitting 3 or 4 after penalties.

Swing harder! Perhaps this is contributing to all those strokes lost off the tee...

If last history is any indication my answer is that I trade it in and go without a driver for 5 years. I’ve yet to play a round with my newly acquired driver, so there’s no telling what I’ll do when I can’t hit it.

I generally don't have a round when I hit my driver that bad so generally I keep hitting it. I expect the next one to be better. If it gets really bad I might drop to 3w but I can't remember the last time I did that.

Usually switch to 3w. Sometimes I am hard-headed and stick with driver and put up a big number :(

... try to fix it. First by checking my alignment/ball position.

Back