Early in the round, that one bad miss

obedt

Reaction score
Handicap
Creciendo
Contrary to a lot of my posts, I was actually kind of pleased with how I scored/played the second half of last year. Still a lot room for improvement, but there were a couple of things I did that allowed me to score ok by my standards. The biggest was keeping the ball in play. The Epic Flash driver has been a God-send for me. But despite relative consistency, if the round starts with a hard hook, it's tough for me to turn that around. I had a terrible round in December where that's all I hit. Left myself a long ways away, and then that miss started to creep into the irons. Once that gets going -

How about everyone else? Is there a miss, that when you start your round out like that, you just know bad things await?

If I hit an iron shot fat early I know its going to be bad. I know what the problem is, but I sometimes forget and it creeps back in. :mad:

If I hit an iron shot fat early I know its going to be bad. I know what the problem is, but I sometimes forget and it creeps back in. :mad:
Oh I hear you Dave

It’s off the tee. Always off the tee regardless of club. Some days I can get out of it pretty quickly but if not it is just a long day and every other aspect of my game starts to go to a hot mess too.

My early miss is always thin. It isn’t the worst thing in the world because it usually plays. The one I really worry about is the quick snap hook off the tee. It gets me very nervous to let a shot go.

If I thin a mid to long iron early, which isn't uncommon, I either sort it out real quick or it's a sign that things are way off and it's going to be a tough day. Next shot says it all.

If the snap hook or slice arrives early in the round, it's going to be a very long day.

When I hit a poor shot early in a round, I just figure I have 12, or more holes to make things right.

I never let a poor swing, or score ruin my day on the course.

Besides, a poor swing/stroke here, or there is just another part of one's golf game. Just another hazard to deal with.

If the snap hook or slice arrives early in the round, it's going to be a very long day.
I think a 2 way miss would really cause me issues. :eek:

First tee. I don't know where the ball is going.

Fat shots. As someone with a trench digging swing they’re inevitable. 1 or 2 in the middle of a round, that’s the nature of the beast. But if I’m hitting it fat early I may as well just go home

Mine is a combination of two shots. The over the top slice and the hard pull left. I can usually fix and get through it just fine if its only one. But I have both in the span of 2-3 shots then it can throw me for a loop, especially if I start thinking about it during the swing to correct. I do my best if I don't think about it and just swing.

My early miss is always thin. It isn’t the worst thing in the world because it usually plays. The one I really worry about is the quick snap hook off the tee. It gets me very nervous to let a shot go.

Mine too. Typical round usually has me start by hitting them thin and pushing them. Slowly correcting over the next few holes to give me hope, just to overcorrect the next few holes to leave me clueless as to what I’m doing wrong, lol.

But I still have fun.

im the opposite after I hot a ba DC shot I feel it can only get better

I'm pretty decent with my 3 wood. Only have to use it 3-4 times per round but if that first one on hole number 4 (home course) doesn't go well, it follows me around like my damn shadow and I start hitting everything poorly.

I usually think I can hit a better shot on the next shot, but if the hooks or fats or slices or any combo of them continues for 4 or 5 holes in a row, it's hard for me to even want to be out there any more. I just hate it when my play reminds me of when I first started.

If there is water on the first hole and I find myself I it, only bad things are to come. I’ve definitely focused on the mental aspects a bad shot brings so it’s getting better.

Not really. I reset at every hole. I seem to know what I did wrong and focus to correct it. So it may be a different miss the second time.

Mine too. Typical round usually has me start by hitting them thin and pushing them. Slowly correcting over the next few holes to give me hope, just to overcorrect the next few holes to leave me clueless as to what I’m doing wrong, lol.

But I still have fun.
I definitely need to do a better job of warming up before rounds but that isn’t always possible on Men’s day.

Fat full shots can get to me if it repeats. But, a duffed or skulled chip or pitch on the first or second hole pretty much does it every time. If it happens later in the round, after settling in a bit, I can usually bounce back.

I just try to not let early problems bother me. My low round ever started with a double and turned into a 73.
But a crappy iron swing or shot on the 1st hole is tough to shake.

It’s gonna be a long day if the 1st tee shot is a push or fade. Just how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A hard hook on 1 at my home course is going OB (unless you get a lucky bounce off a tree) so I guard against hitting a hook and quite often hit a weak flare off to the right. But that ensures bogey at worst so better than OB and likely double or worse. Even on the now rare occasion that I do hit one OB, I learned to have a pretty short term memory so it usually doesn't carry over to future holes.

If I let a bad shot effect me during a round it might be if I get a case of the tops. Just try to reset and if I have to, drop down to a short iron till I feel comfortable again.

Back