Early season swing

One thing I think I see ... you're back swing is almost all arms. Your hands get to your right ear but your shoulders barely move. One piece takeaway and swing the club back with your shoulders. If I'm right with what I see. Freddie is smarter than me though

Early season swing part 2

Early season swing part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaUUHph4AUg
Freddie,
I was trying to work the kinks out at this stage. I believe I was trying to not lift my L heel on backswing. Other than that I am now trying to smooth my swing out. When using my J38 DPC irons with X100s I have to go after it perhaps too much. Got them here. Now I am going to have them reshafted with KBS Tour 90s which I tried in another set and I feel I can smooth it out easier with.
Thanks.

Mike

Your setup is good but you are 100% arms. This fine if you are playing a punch shot but for a full swing you have to get the shoulders involved.

The shoulder and the arms create a triangle. The triangle needs to move as one unit to the top and back down. Since the arms are connected to the shoulders, if you turn to the right with your shoulders the arms will follow. Of course there is some arm swing but the shoulders are what start this motion.

The goal in the golf swing is to get the left shoulder behind the ball or turn your back to the target (see below). This begins with a good set up which you have. (see below) Your down swing or drive into the ball should also remain behind the ball. In essence you are coiling your body or your shoulders against you lower body to create power.

Backtothetarget_zps51caf571.jpg

Back to the target, created by the shoulders.

Setupbehindtheball_zps7cefe4e1.jpg

Set up with head behind the ball allows you make that coil behind the ball like the picture above.

Work on the shoulder turn for a few weeks and repost.

Last edited:
Thank you for your analysis and recommendation.
Sometimes when I think of right shoulder back instead of left under chin I can turn better. I'm a little tight in neck/shoulder region. I will report back .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been working on my shoulder turn a lot. Got an orange whip trainer I use often with focus on shoulders than tendency to use arms.
Putting this together with other tip in setup you advise (back foot square) I also try to keep front heel on ground during BS.
I feel more coiled with better ball striking result.I don't have to reach back or sway for more but I feel I get crisper impact.
In another thread I read where you gave a lesson to a guy who did not turn his back to the target but was getting to impact great.
I will keep at it.
Thanks.
I'll be in Orlando 1st week of October. Love to meet you sir .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back