Have only felt minor ones here. These originate in a fault located in Quebec. Very minor but noticeable when they occur.

Well that's good to know, been 17 years since I lived in Cali and oh how the world has changed ha

I think I've only felt one long enough that I had time to get under a table.

I think I've only felt one long enough that I had time to get under a table.

I remember in school the earthquake drills - get under your desk - and thinking I'm this won't save me, I'll be crushed when the legs give out. I remember the doorway during one and thinking well at least I'm not near a window.

I remember in school the earthquake drills - get under your desk - and thinking I'm this won't save me, I'll be crushed when the legs give out. I remember the doorway during one and thinking well at least I'm not near a window.

First of all, since the chair and desk were connected.... your entire body was never under the whole thing anyways

90209.jpg

Nevada has 1000s of quakes every year. Most go unnoticed.

We were in SoCal at a Peacock Suites Inn. The interior of the room walls were made of frosted glass panels. The noise was brutal. The Northridge (?) quake hit early morning. We gathered up our stuff and hit the road to get out of town.

We finally stopped in Baker CA for breakfast. Thats when we found out some of the freeways had collapsed. We were lucky.

Man some of the stories in here:eek:

I find that the "rolling" quakes are quiet. Last one my wife didn't even notice it was happening. The other (I don't remember what they're called) have this kind of loud, low rattle sound to them.

I think that might be due to the strength of the different types of earthquake waves (p-waves, s-waves etc).

It’s interesting the different sensation you get from the type of material you are on. I recall a decent one here where I was stood on thin industrial carpet over a thick concrete slab. After the initial quake, I could feel the earth settling. It felt like it was taking decreasing sized little breaths, just these little pulses. Awesome.

It’s also interesting to learn how different soil materials react to different waves. For example the San Francisco (Loma Prieta) and Christchurch (in NZ) quakes, were hugely devastating largely because of the soil. The Marina District in SF is largely built upon bay dredged material. When the waves hit, that material is very susceptible to liquifaction, where essentially the soils behave like a liquid and thus move a lot more.

Not sure that filming is what I would be doing at this moment. but..

the landers quake? we were there as well....then the northridge quake in 94
That may have been it, I just remember the first one was 7.1 and an hour later the 7.2 rolled thru. We where standing on the catwalk and it was wild. We had after shocks almost every day for a month or more. We had small bell placed around the shop areas to be able to head outside when we heard them.

I remember a couple times the feeling was very strange with building sway. We rarely get quakes in my area and I don't want any either.

I was in Tajikistan in 2015 on a road trip through the Pamir mountains. There was a 7.2 earthquake one night. Luckily we were in the mountains and could just go outside but it was quite the experience.

I was stationed in California in 91 or 92 when they had two big ones an hour apart. The sound is hard to describe, you just here a change in the air of the normal surrondings you are working in. What was neat though, was standing on the catwalk of the barracks and watching the parking lot roll as it came thru and feeling the barracks shake a lot. That was in 29 Palms.
I shipped out of Pendelton the night before the big quake in the Bay Area in 89. My good friend was with me and his family lived in Hayward. He was a wreck. They are no joke.

I think they're now saying this because of cheap, modern building materials. Back when door jams were made from solid wood it may have been safer.
houses used to be built out of what basically amounts to dust and glue, with wooden door frames. now houses are built out of those same wooden frames connected to concrete pads, making the door area the weakest part. not to mention the exposure to falling/exploding debris, as well as human stampedes in public buildings

There's nothing quite like sitting in the quiet solitude of your home brought on by a worldwide pandemic, simultaneously enjoying a mid-April snow storm and an earthquake. Life's simple pleasures truly are the best. 🤪

Today’s trembler was only 4.2.

I lived just outside of DC when the one hit there about 10 years ago. Lived on the 3rd flood of an apartment building and the whole build started swaying. Everything was falling off the walls it took me a second to figure out what was happening because you know DC doesn't have earthquakes. Ran in to check on my daughter and she slept through it, she thought the aftershock that a few minutes later was fun.

There's nothing quite like sitting in the quiet solitude of your home brought on by a worldwide pandemic, simultaneously enjoying a mid-April snow storm and an earthquake. Life's simple pleasures truly are the best. 🤪

Today’s trembler was only 4.2.
Do you have any pets in the house? The last one we had here in Kansas was a 3.2 about 18 miles northwest of my house and the 2 dogs let me know it was coming. About 15 seconds after they where acting weird, the windows started shaking.

Do you have any pets in the house? The last one we had here in Kansas was a 3.2 about 18 miles northwest of my house and the 2 dogs let me know it was coming. About 15 seconds after they where acting weird, the windows started shaking.

No pets for me, but I have heard others mention this same phenomenon. It’s amazing what senses our pets have, how they can know that people have cancer, can sometimes sense when somebody is about to pass away, etc.

Back