Easiest way to fix this?

F.N.G

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
I went a month or so ago to get fitted for some irons. I decided to get some ping 425 irons since I wanted to test if my GIR would go up with a more GI iron. Since the saying is go with the most forgiving iron you can look at. Since I don't really care about looks I went with these. Well weeks and weeks and weeks later. They show up. I put the blades away and grab these. Went to the range. Spent some time getting used to them. I am hitting a little heel side. I tried to choke up a touch but still same spot. Any advice, is it a weight, fitting, length thing? My MP20 is centered. All advice needed. This is about 15-20 balls trying to figure it out.

Attachments

• 20210613_111615.jpg
    20210613_111615.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 42
I went a month or so ago to get fitted for some irons. I decided to get some ping 425 irons since I wanted to test if my GIR would go up with a more GI iron. Since the saying is go with the most forgiving iron you can look at. Since I don't really care about looks I went with these. Well weeks and weeks and weeks later. They show up. I put the blades away and grab these. Went to the range. Spent some time getting used to them. I am hitting a little heel side. I tried to choke up a touch but still same spot. Any advice, is it a weight, fitting, length thing? My MP20 is centered. All advice needed. This is about 15-20 balls trying to figure it out.

There's a very good chance that your Mizuno irons have a flatter lie angle than the Pings. Also, check to see if your Ping irons are longer AND more upright.

They are the same length. The pings are 1 degree for upright as per the fitting.

They are the same length. The pings are 1 degree for upright as per the fitting.

There's part of your answer. And if the Pings are 1 degree more upright than "standard," they may be 2 or more degrees more upright than your MPs.

There's part of your answer. And if the Pings are 1 degree more upright than "standard," they may be 2 or more degrees more upright than your MPs.

I’ve got nothing to add other than I agree x2.

So do I go back to the fitter and saw WTF or will the location change as I get more reps with these clubs?

Also please educate me. How does the Lie angle move the hit location on the blade. I have never been a equipment junkie more a run what you brung kind of guy. This was the first set I drank the kool aid of fitting on and now have questions because it is not perfect.

You need flat by 2* ish seems to be my opinion. I’ll scroll back up to see what else has been said.

Concur with above opinion.

That guy is smart and good looking.

I can't see an issue here. What is the difference in ball flight? Have you tested where the COG is located on the clubface? The COG on most blade irons are usually located just inside of horizontal centre no lower than the 4th groove. Where you are striking the Ping would not be an issue with the Mizuno's imo.

I can't see an issue here. What is the difference in ball flight? Have you tested where the COG is located on the clubface? The COG on most blade irons are usually located just inside of horizontal centre no lower than the 4th groove. Where you are striking the Ping would not be an issue with the Mizuno's imo.
True. But I am going from the mizuno to the pings. Also, I have no idea how to measure CG location.

Do a vertical line test to actually see what your lie angle needs to be, do not just guess at it.
Draw line on ball with dry erase or sharpie, position ball with line perpendicular to ground facing the club face (ie opposite direction of target).
Hit the ball and see where the line is pointing. If it's straight up and down, lie is good. If line points from low heel to high toe, lie needs to be flatter, etc.

True. But I am going from the mizuno to the pings. Also, I have no idea how to measure CG location.
If it is not an issue with the Mizuno's why would it be an issue with the game improvement Pings? The COG is the balance point of a club head about the size of a pin head. The easiest way to get its location is to hang the club from the fingers and tap the club head with a pointed object. When it hits the COG the club head will rebound off the object without any twist or rotation and without any shock vibrations through the shaft. The other more accurate method is to remove the shaft and balance the club head face down on a vertical needle point. The point of balance on the club head is the COG.
Google MOI (moment of inertia),the measure of resistance to twisting of a golf head through contact with a golf ball.

Back