Ebay / Paypal Thread - Issues and Experiences

DDBowdoin

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
I posted a pair of skates a few nights ago and I was just recently informed that they were sold. I received an email from Paypal (or at least I think they are PayPal) with a receipt... one issue, there is a hold on the payment.

Dear (my name),

You've received a payment, detailed below. We’ve placed a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction.

PayPal and eBay are working together to make payments for eBay items even safer. Because we want both buyers and sellers to feel confident about sending and receiving payments through PayPal, we may temporarily hold payments for items sold on eBay.

Make sure to ship the item right away, so you'll have access to the funds sooner. We’ll release the hold in 21 days unless you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the hold. We may release the hold earlier if either of the following occurs:

The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay.
We confirm that the item was delivered.* We can confirm delivery if you ship the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page. This applies to transactions within the United States.
Additional hold period

If you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the hold, we may hold the payment until the problem is resolved.

Learn more about the PayPal policy for payment holds for eBay items.

We will notify you by email when the funds are released. You can monitor the status of the hold in your Transaction History.

* This applies to US domestic transactions that are shipped by USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either (i) use PayPal shipping labels to ship items or (ii) provide tracking information to PayPal.

The shipping address looks strange... it has the address twice, and just a city name, without a state or zip code. Should I be worried about this?

I hate Paypal with a passion and have never used Ebay or Paypal since. I sold a laptop on Ebay 4 years ago for $2100. I offered insurance but the person declined at checkout. I sent the item once I was paid and never thought much of it. After about 2 weeks I get notified by Paypal that they had taken the money out of the account because the item was defective. I asked for the item back and never got it. I was without money and product and we are still going at it 4 years later. They offer ZERO protection for sellers.

damn! I just checked up on the buyer and he has some 300+ transactions and a 100% feedback rating.

I don't want to send anything out until I have the payment in hand.

I dont blame you. Many people have found great buys on Ebay and have had no problems. Me, I have purchased 4 things in my entire life off of there. One putter that turned out to be counterfeit. 2 pieces of art, both are fine. And a sharper image massage chair that came with a burnt out motor. I sold one thing and got ripped off. So new ebay for me.

Try writing paypal, just asking if this email is legit. Josh got an email once, he wrote them and said "is this from you?" They said, "ABSOLUTELY NOT."

Ship it now and you'll get your money in 21 days? Don't ship it. Sounds like a scam, listen to your judgment. If it's not a scam, you really haven't lost much, just one lone potential buyer.

(I got ripped off by a guy once with a 99.8% approval. I think they can hack into it or something. Cause this guy was a joke. Paypal refunded me but I had to wait for months.)

I logged into my account on paypal, and the details of the transaction with a confirmed address but it's listed as being held. How am I supposed to ship a product with a pending payment?

What if you just write paypal help and say you can't afford to ship without funds? How are you supposed to?

What is your rating like? If it's good I'm sure you'll have more sway.

I have a 100 percent rating but have only 9 transactions, I'm not a massive ebayer...

I have a 100 percent rating but have only 9 transactions, I'm not a massive ebayer...

But that means they have no reason to hold your payment.

I'd really ask about it, and before this guy reports you.

I have used ebay since 99 and PP since 2000 I believe. Only one issue with ebay seller, but I should have known, I had to track him down literally and make some threats.
NO issues with PP or ebay though, BIG knock on wood here though!

Tons of horror stories like Jb's though. I mainly deal in high-end guitar gear and Ive heard some real doozies. Guitar sold, buyer uses PP, responds that they love the guitar. Few months later, whammo! PP freezes or places holds on the account as the buyer changed their mind and now claims it is messed up, etc. Buyer gets $ back, PP gets the item and it is locke dup in some PP warehouse for months as the honest seller is trying to just not lose too mcuh $ and get the itme back. Tons of stories like this.

While we all say use your best judgement, I sometimes go for it!

Scary stuff for sure.

Our local small shop showed me a Ft-i driver a guy bought when they were new, from ebay...looked spot on, but the head cracked. Yep, fakearooni after looking into it. So he saved $200 off the latest and greatest.

FWIW, I have over 400 feedback at 100% on ebay, I'm proud of that fact, Heck, close of 10 years of working at it!

Back