So I initially set the weights when I first got these irons. As I posted before, I went in for a lesson that day, and we made a few minor changes. I haven’t really touched the weights since then, as they felt comfortable where they were at with my old swing. As I’ve also mentioned, the swing change has been a bit of a struggle for me to get that “click” moment. It’s been discussed that moving these weights around literally makes it feel like a different golf club, and I had a few minutes to kill after taking care of this mornings to-do list, so I headed out to the garage for a few minutes with the 7i. A few swings with it in the toe (where I had it), foot spray confirmed that contact was okay, but a little all over the face. I dug in my toolbox for an Allan wrench, and switched the weight into the Center. One ugly ball and two shanks later, time for door #3.

Instantly this felt better. I could feel exactly where the club was, it felt smoother through the downswing, and contact was much improved. I mentioned early in this thread that this was one of the things that I was excited about with these irons, and this just confirmed it. I don’t have a perfect swing, and it’s a work in progress. As we change things, and if I continue to improve my fundamentals, if I can slightly alter things so I’m not fighting my equipment I’m a happy camper.

Pretty much my same my recent weight change experience. Swing is a work in progress. It nice knowing that the SMS irons can be modified as swing progresses. Looking forward to getting these out on a regular basis throughout the fall. The opportunity to have a practice facility a cart ride from the house should allow me the time to dial in both the clubs and my swing. Trust me the swing needs much more work than the irons.

Pretty much my same my recent weight change experience. Swing is a work in progress. It nice knowing that the SMS irons can be modified as swing progresses. Looking forward to getting these out on a regular basis throughout the fall. The opportunity to have a practice facility a cart ride from the house should allow me the time to dial in both the clubs and my swing. Trust me the swing needs much more work than the irons.
Moving these weights around is such a cool experience swing-wise. The confidence level can be so much higher stepping up to pull the trigger when the club just feels right.

So I initially set the weights when I first got these irons. As I posted before, I went in for a lesson that day, and we made a few minor changes. I haven’t really touched the weights since then, as they felt comfortable where they were at with my old swing. As I’ve also mentioned, the swing change has been a bit of a struggle for me to get that “click” moment. It’s been discussed that moving these weights around literally makes it feel like a different golf club, and I had a few minutes to kill after taking care of this mornings to-do list, so I headed out to the garage for a few minutes with the 7i. A few swings with it in the toe (where I had it), foot spray confirmed that contact was okay, but a little all over the face. I dug in my toolbox for an Allan wrench, and switched the weight into the Center. One ugly ball and two shanks later, time for door #3.

Instantly this felt better. I could feel exactly where the club was, it felt smoother through the downswing, and contact was much improved. I mentioned early in this thread that this was one of the things that I was excited about with these irons, and this just confirmed it. I don’t have a perfect swing, and it’s a work in progress. As we change things, and if I continue to improve my fundamentals, if I can slightly alter things so I’m not fighting my equipment I’m a happy camper.

I’m in the same boat, bring a very different swing somedays which can lead to needing to adjust the weights. I’ve realized now that when I bring my natural swing on a good day the toe weight is clearly optimal. I think it’s going to stay there for quite awhile even when I’m having a rough day with an awkward swing.

I’m in the same boat, bring a very different swing somedays which can lead to needing to adjust the weights. I’ve realized now that when I bring my natural swing on a good day the toe weight is clearly optimal. I think it’s going to stay there for quite awhile even when I’m having a rough day with an awkward swing.
I’m loving the adjustability, it’s not difficult, and it doesn’t take a crazy long time to do. These can truly let you swing whatever your swing is that day and take another variable out of the equation. I think we have a pretty good range of skill levels in this group to provide some feedback, I’m definitely interested in how everyone makes out with these over long term. I’m super happy I got the opportunity to try these, they feel like a great fit for the path I’m on at the moment and beyond. There’s enough data out there to suggest ball striking plays a major role in lowering one’s handicap, and I’ll take all the help I can get.

Ca
I’m loving the adjustability, it’s not difficult, and it doesn’t take a crazy long time to do. These can truly let you swing whatever your swing is that day and take another variable out of the equation. I think we have a pretty good range of skill levels in this group to provide some feedback, I’m definitely interested in how everyone makes out with these over long term. I’m super happy I got the opportunity to try these, they feel like a great fit for the path I’m on at the moment and beyond. There’s enough data out there to suggest ball striking plays a major role in lowering one’s handicap, and I’ll take all the help I can get.
Caddie at Spyglass was very intrigued with the weight system

Played today at a course I never score well on and sadly today was no exception. Was hitting the ball ok but almost every shot was a club shorter than usual. Should have moved the weight back to the toe but didn’t. Still love them when I make a good strike but pretty sure the shaft isn’t quite right.

Irons worked great today. My distances seem to be pretty similar to what I was seeing with my previous Ping i500s. Trajectory looks slightly higher but im a fairly high ball hitter anyway so hard to tell. The left/right seems to be improved though which is awesome. And I'm getting plenty of hold power on the greens. So fsr I'm liking these a lot

With the weight in the toe I found my rhythm a bit today and man are these irons hot. Even with weaker lofts I am launching these when I put a good swing on the ball. The 8 iron below was sitting up a bit so a helping lie but man I flushed it and couldn’t believe how far it sailed. When I put a good swing in with these they feel so smooth and perform so freaking well with the weight in the toe. Similar to the wedges having the weight correct unlocks a ball flight and distance that I rarely saw with standard clubs.

A940D451-37A9-4F54-9E7A-9C947143F9ED.jpeg

With the weight in the toe I found my rhythm a bit today and man are these irons hot. Even with weaker lofts I am launching these when I put a good swing on the ball. The 8 iron below was sitting up a bit so a helping lie but man I flushed it and couldn’t believe how far it sailed. When I put a good swing in with these they feel so smooth and perform so freaking well with the weight in the toe. Similar to the wedges having the weight correct unlocks a ball flight and distance that I rarely saw with standard clubs.

View attachment 9124681

Dude, did you play Rustic Canyon today? That's like 10 minutes away.

Accuracy has been excellent as well when I find my swing. I have been hooking the ball for months with my irons but with the weight in the toe with the Edels I’m back to a nice baby draw and sooo much more accurate. The shot below was my best approach of the day hitting a nice soft draw for a bit of a touch shot.

2CF68CA0-94FB-41CE-9169-9B626D38DB54.jpeg

Dude, did you play Rustic Canyon today? That's like 10 minutes away.
I did, was up with family for my moms birthday and played with my brother and cousins. I didn’t realize you were that far west, we have to get a round in there together. That course is incredible! My work should be easing up closer to the holidays, let’s get a round scheduled soon.

I did, was up with family for my moms birthday and played with my brother and cousins. I didn’t realize you were that far west, we have to get a round in there together. That course is incredible! My work should be easing up closer to the holidays, let’s get a round scheduled soon.
We do have to once I get these back in play.

IMG20221002202546.jpg

ooh, whatcha putting in them?

2. Big time fitting expert. Just made the switch to these because “I dont like lead tape and swing my long irons different than my short irons, so the weights work”.

I love that! I've thought about that with myself and something like this, because I transition my swing a bit from one end of a set to the other. Little different needs. That's just awesome they work for him like that.

Had a 4 man scramble yesterday at a course that every time I have played it has had very high winds. This made things interesting, this is round #2 with the irons and it makes it really tough to know if I was hitting the correct distances with the correct iron... seeing as I typically can hit an 8 iron 175-180 with a smooth swing and good contact. We had a shot on one hole that was 140 yards which I would usually hit a smooth PW. I decided with the wind to try a hard hit 8 iron and try and punch it through the wind...... that did not work.. I sent a rocket to the moon and it only went about 115 yards..

Needless to say I have not figured out my distances yet and I have not figured out how to flight the ball with these irons yet.

I will say these are the best feeling irons I have ever hit. I have been hitting the ball very straight with them and not much side spin at all which is awesome. My only miss right now is a push to the right.

Had a 4 man scramble yesterday at a course that every time I have played it has had very high winds. This made things interesting, this is round #2 with the irons and it makes it really tough to know if I was hitting the correct distances with the correct iron... seeing as I typically can hit an 8 iron 175-180 with a smooth swing and good contact. We had a shot on one hole that was 140 yards which I would usually hit a smooth PW. I decided with the wind to try a hard hit 8 iron and try and punch it through the wind...... that did not work.. I sent a rocket to the moon and it only went about 115 yards..

Needless to say I have not figured out my distances yet and I have not figured out how to flight the ball with these irons yet.

I will say these are the best feeling irons I have ever hit. I have been hitting the ball very straight with them and not much side spin at all which is awesome. My only miss right now is a push to the right.
Have you compared the lofts with those on your prior clubs? The Edels have weaker lofts than my prior clubs. My Edel 6 iron has the same loft as my Callaway 7 (30) so not really fair to compare distances between those two sets. As you said, we just need to figure out the new distances for each club. I like the extra height.

Have you compared the lofts with those on your prior clubs? The Edels have weaker lofts than my prior clubs. My Edel 6 iron has the same loft as my Callaway 7 (30) so not really fair to compare distances between those two sets. As you said, we just need to figure out the new distances for each club. I like the extra height.

I have not compared them yet. Still need to get more time In with them.

Today had a last minute scramble I was invited to… it turned out to be the nicest weather we have had in the last 2 weeks. I had a fantastic day with the big stick, wedges and putter…. I did not feel like I hit my irons well at all. Even threw in a sh@%k in there. Once again I cannot say it was completely the irons fault because I didn’t hit my 2 iron or 3 iron good anytime I hit those either… so all together terrible iron day.

I’ve compared them to my mizuno and the 7i is the same. Every club is within a degree if I remember correctly. I think at the top of the bag they are a degree weaker and the bottom are a degree stronger

I’m going to check tomorrow. If I have a few ferrules left I may stick an rdx shaft in my SMS 7 iron. 80ish gram shaft. Pulled the rdx shafts from some TE 721s do nothing to loose but a little time. Work and moving is going to take over for a couple weeks. However I did pay my CC membership today. In a couple weeks my son and I will get in our 1st round there. Then work takes a backseat to golf and my time to really get to now the new SMS irons.

The lofts on the Edels are weaker than my old gamers but going about the same distance, maybe longer. It’s a small data set so far but I attribute it to the much better ball striking I get from having the weight in the toe.

I played today. A fun round and the wind made it tough. My best drives are usually 270 and today I hit two good drives: one went 319 with the wind and another went 220 into the wind. So it was a tough day to gauge distance with the irons, but I still feel that these are shorter than my old irons but much straighter. First time playing this course and the wedges were on fire and the irons were super straight. All in all, very happy with this round. I didn’t have any penalty strokes with irons. The one bad drive I had to take a penalty, I recovered with 1 putt par 5
77DBED37-CA9E-48B0-A8E1-4BBA3673FAA6.png
3AD8D98E-0F18-42AE-B439-AF5CD7A81E3D.jpeg
C26DEC3E-CD4A-4A74-8A44-54A53ED84895.jpeg

Last edited:
8FC4F597-F195-4939-AC77-BBF1F4EDB84B.jpeg
Slow and steady solo walking 9 tonight, trying to get as much in as I can before our course shuts down for the year. I’m having a lot of fun with these things, the weight in the heel feels really good for me right now so that’s what I’m going to roll with for the time being. I really like the ball flight I’m getting with these.

Back