Some quick hitters..

I've had them in the hands of a few golfers, and the overall perspective is that the not-full-face-but-extra grooves are pretty appealing to people. I've never been one to fall over sideways with fully grooved faces, despite knowing the benefits on the toe side around the green - so this feels like a really nice compromise.

From a purely aesthetic perspective, I think they look incredible both in hand and in the bag. I know the machining on the sole isn't exactly a rail system, but I swear it gives me the impression that the club head gets through the turf better.

I also wanted to say, I've found the 58 to be incredibly good at getting the ball out of a lie and moving - it's almost shocking how quickly it seems to want to jump out of a rough lie greenside, as seen by @Jman a couple weeks ago. And of course, that means great action is there when the ball hits the green, thanks to actually having grooves on a wedge again haha

I think we should talk a little bit of shop today.

What questions does everyone have about the SMS wedges from Edel?

I have a question.
I have only really spent time with the higher lofted wedges. As you were changing weights, you mentioned a feel change. Do you think it is more dense feeling based on weight placement?

I think we should talk a little bit of shop today.

What questions does everyone have about the SMS wedges from Edel?

My first questions.....is more for Mr/Ms mail carrier.....when am I getting mine? ;)
With that call to the ether out of the way....

I'll be testing a 50 deg. C grind. I want this to be my Gap wedge, but I also use my 50 in most chipping situations. Do you think the "optimal" weight placement would be different for those two tasks? For a given golfers swing?

In my case, I am a sweeper not a digger. So I belive that makes me and under instead of coverer of the golf ball. Does that change your answer?

These wedges are very cool. I don't have much in the way of questions. But, would love to spend some more time with them. Hitting a few chip shots in the dark was just enough to get me more curious.

I have a question.
I have only really spent time with the higher lofted wedges. As you were changing weights, you mentioned a feel change. Do you think it is more dense feeling based on weight placement?
oh wow, throw out the hard hitter straight away.

My memory is pretty foggy on that one. I'll need to get back onto the range and transition the weight a bit to see if I experience it.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
I think it was clear earlier when asking about this wedge, when the overwhelming majority of people said the moveable weighting was their favorite part. Take that away, and what is you favorite aspect of the Edel SMS?

My first questions.....is more for Mr/Ms mail carrier.....when am I getting mine? ;)
With that call to the ether out of the way....

I'll be testing a 50 deg. C grind. I want this to be my Gap wedge, but I also use my 50 in most chipping situations. Do you think the "optimal" weight placement would be different for those two tasks? For a given golfers swing?

In my case, I am a sweeper not a digger. So I belive that makes me and under instead of coverer of the golf ball. Does that change your answer?
I'm probably not as knowledgeable as some others on the site, but I have spent a fair amount of time using and learning about these wedges. In theory, a sweeper should get "best" results with the heavy weight in the toe. Best option for a coverer would likely be in the heel. I'm more of a sweeper as well and actually saw my best results with the heavy weight in the center on full swings. I have since moved it into the toe on my 54*, which I use primarily for chipping, and I've seen good results. Might be a mental thing, or maybe it really is better, but it feels right.

I'm probably not as knowledgeable as some others on the site, but I have spent a fair amount of time using and learning about these wedges. In theory, a sweeper should get "best" results with the heavy weight in the toe. Best option for a coverer would likely be in the heel. I'm more of a sweeper as well and actually saw my best results with the heavy weight in the center on full swings. I have since moved it into the toe on my 54*, which I use primarily for chipping, and I've seen good results. Might be a mental thing, or maybe it really is better, but it feels right.

Congrats.

My thoughts were if you open up the club a lot, let's say the SW and/or LW, you may want it on the toe as many times on specialty shots with the face open, one is more likely to hit outside the middle than the heel and you want more weight where you make contact.

I can certainly be incorrect, and it is swing-dependent. It's a guess.

Patiently waiting for my Edel delivery. In the meantime, 15-35 yard testing zone, engaged!

8789B74C-CFCE-44CA-9FD5-FDA887890422.jpeg

I want one of these so badly, but….. my current wedges do SOOOOO well. I know my distances, and I do pretty damn well.
but I still want a 54 C grind.
Can I buy just a head?
I love my shaft.

Wanted to provide a little update. Spent some time with this yesterday and it was the 58 C Grind. Taking the practice out of the equation, I used it 3 times. First was a pitch on the 3rd after missing the green just short. It spun more than I expected and left a 12 foot putt.

I missed the green on 4 too, right of an elevated green and had to go over a bunker. Hit a darn good flop shot leaving myself 7 feet straight up hill.

Finally on the 5ht hole par 5, I hit my second shot to 70 yards out and wanted to try it on full swings. Hit one tight to 4 feet for a birdie.

Great first round with them and it is staying in the bag for now. My weight is toe side to keep me from closing down.

Wanted to provide a little update. Spent some time with this yesterday and it was the 58 C Grind. Taking the practice out of the equation, I used it 3 times. First was a pitch on the 3rd after missing the green just short. It spun more than I expected and left a 12 foot putt.

I missed the green on 4 too, right of an elevated green and had to go over a bunker. Hit a darn good flop shot leaving myself 7 feet straight up hill.

Finally on the 5ht hole par 5, I hit my second shot to 70 yards out and wanted to try it on full swings. Hit one tight to 4 feet for a birdie.

Great first round with them and it is staying in the bag for now. My weight is toe side to keep me from closing down.

Thanks for the update, JB.

Your last comment struck me. I never thought about weight on the toe to stop from “closing down”. My shots around the green are misses typically because I close the face, don’t get the ball up and it takes off left.

Totally makes sense. This is definitely something I’ll be trying out during the testing process!

Thanks for the update, JB.

Your last comment struck me. I never thought about weight on the toe to stop from “closing down”. My shots around the green are misses typically because I close the face, don’t get the ball up and it takes off left.

Totally makes sense. This is definitely something I’ll be trying out during the testing process!
You are welcome. We will have Edel Golf in the THP Tech Studio coming up in a couple of weeks and will break that down even more.

You are welcome. We will have Edel Golf in the THP Tech Studio coming up in a couple of weeks and will break that down even more.

Oh, perfect timing! That will definitely give me some other ideas for where to shift weights. That will be great.

Oh, perfect timing! That will definitely give me some other ideas for where to shift weights. That will be great.

We will have some fun stuff on SMS coming for sure.

Congrats again. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Patiently waiting for my Edel delivery. In the meantime, 15-35 yard testing zone, engaged!

View attachment 9022500
Must be my old eyes but that truck bed looks farther than 35 yards... :D

Congrats again. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Must be my old eyes but that truck bed looks farther than 35 yards... :D

Ha! Thin to win baby!

I know THPers will have these in their hands soon, but until then, let me just say that around the green on the partial stuff, the sole design in general works so well in a lot of different lies.

I know THPers will have these in their hands soon, but until then, let me just say that around the green on the partial stuff, the sole design in general works so well in a lot of different lies.
@MSEASU said it was the best C grind he’s used.

Awesome to hear. Can’t wait for this testing!

I need to take these out again. After getting the T22 for that event, I’ve been focusing on those. But these were just getting dialed in for me!

Well, got these bad boys pulled, FINALLY. Freaking hard as hell to get the Nippon to break loose, a lot of heat and torque.

Kinetixx to go in! :cool:

Well, got these bad boys pulled, FINALLY. Freaking hard as hell to get the Nippon to break loose, a lot of heat and torque.

Kinetixx to go in! :cool:
Ohhhh that pairing sounds awesome!!

I think these are going in my bag for the weekend as well. Lots to be said, and my buddy who used them last Saturday used too many vulgar words in celebration of how much he likes these heads hahaha

Ohhhh that pairing sounds awesome!!

I think these are going in my bag for the weekend as well. Lots to be said, and my buddy who used them last Saturday used too many vulgar words in celebration of how much he likes these heads hahaha
Freaking brutal to pull, but they’re curing now!

Back