Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The new Edel SMS wedges are here and we have a full review of what they call Swing Match Weighting and how it can impact performance. From inside the THP Tech Studio we have Chris Koske from Edel Golf with us and we show the swings and breakdown the data.

Could a Wedge
Optimize your angle of attack?
Optimize your spin?
Optimize your path?
Optimize your dispersion?

In this episode of TESTED! we take a detailed look at the Edel SMS wedges and specifically what happens when the Swing Match Weight is moved from heel to toe. As with all episodes, you see swings and then we breakdown the data, with a little bit of tech talk mixed in.

Continue reading...

Great video....this is certainly taking the wedge fitting to another level. I can certainly see a lot of value in a good fitting, nice job Chris and Dan @Canadan , actual stats to back up the impact of weight changes are a real seller in the benefits of proper weight distribution in the head. BTW....the wedges are real sharp looking as well.

wow those look awesome! love the option to move the weights around to opitimze

I played the previous model Edel wedges and they felt great. These are high on my list but definitely something id want to get fit for vs buying blindly

Nice looking wedges with fine fitting options. Somewhere likely a PXG executive is wondering how they got away with such a PXG weight look, but I am doctor not a lawyer so let the experts debate that angle.

Nice price point for a customizable wedge like that.... Mizzys ES21 is the same price as a reference and doesn't have such a feature.

I personally love the idea of being able to dial in the weighting in all of my clubs and I heart this idea in the wedges.

I need to look closely at these pups! Thank you Dan!

Moveable weights in wedges with a proper fitting - could be a real game changer. I love the idea.

Is the overall profile more like a traditional blade, or closer to the newer game improvement (CBX) profile?

Also - are most existing wedges heel, toe or center weighted?

I also wonder if the weighs might have different performance from wedge to wedge - for example, better in the toe on a 50 but better in the heel for a 60...

Moveable weights in wedges with a proper fitting - could be a real game changer. I love the idea.

Is the overall profile more like a traditional blade, or closer to the newer game improvement (CBX) profile?

Also - are most existing wedges heel, toe or center weighted?

I also wonder if the weighs might have different performance from wedge to wedge - for example, better in the toe on a 50 but better in the heel for a 60...

Definitely more traditional in size and shape.
Wedges in general for decades were more heel weighted. Over time, hosels got a bit shorter shifting the weight more towards center.

I need to schedule a fitting, soon.

I need to schedule a fitting, soon.

One of the best parts of this video is there are on rare occasions that @Canadan is kind of blown away with something he sees or feels. Not speaking to loving or hating a product, but when something happens that is unexpected. We saw that with the traditional vs game improvement wedge test. And we saw it again here with the weight shift from heel to toe.

Interesting video and concept. Wonder if it would be weird to go from your normal irons then into this in wedges where its moving weight around? Would it feel that different? Feel like you have to adjust your swing?

Interesting video and concept. Wonder if it would be weird to go from your normal irons then into this in wedges where its moving weight around? Would it feel that different? Feel like you have to adjust your swing?

I thought about this quite a bit and kind of put it to the test and what I think I learned is that our wedges feel different than our irons now. So I didn't see or hear anything that would change the idea.

I thought about this quite a bit and kind of put it to the test and what I think I learned is that our wedges feel different than our irons now. So I didn't see or hear anything that would change the idea.

Certainly most people play wedges with heavier shafts, but not where weight is centered in a different area of the club face. I absolutely believe you, but man it is definitely something I'd want to try before buying for sure. Feel like it could mess with my head a bit. For example where @Canadan mentions he can feel where the weight is on the downswing, I just wonder if that leads you to start manipulating things.

Last edited:
One of the best parts of this video is there are on rare occasions that @Canadan is kind of blown away with something he sees or feels. Not speaking to loving or hating a product, but when something happens that is unexpected. We saw that with the traditional vs game improvement wedge test. And we saw it again here with the weight shift from heel to toe.
Absolutely, and that more than anything is what has me chomping at the bit now, seeing that reaction from him tells me all I need to know

Those are good looking wedges!!! Nice price point also.

Certainly most people play wedges with heavier shafts, but not where weight is centered in a different area of the club face. I absolutely believe you, but man it is definitely something I'd want to try before buying for sure. Feel like it could mess with my head a bit. For example where @Canadan mentions he can feel where the weight is on the downswing, I just wonder if that leads you to start manipulating things.
Expand on this a bit for me. I'm a pretty wristy guy when it comes to wedges, which is probably why the autocorrect was present within the three swings I took with each setup - but unlike my expectations (where I thought I'd just see a numbers change), I actually could sense how the head wanted to lead into the ball on the downswing.

Koske's idea of using a 3/4 swing to demonstrate was great. At that speed/style, I am definitely engaging more than just a full swing and getting a chance to see how the head wants to control.

Nice looking wedges with fine fitting options. Somewhere likely a PXG executive is wondering how they got away with such a PXG weight look, but I am doctor not a lawyer so let the experts debate that angle.
I don't think screws in clubs are anything new, are they?

This is the first time I've seen legitimate talk about weight distribution from a fitting perspective outside of a putter.

Edel is doing some really cool stuff different than most others with customizing things you wouldn't normally think about. My strongest feeling is that i'm not good or consistent enough to take advantage of it.

Edel is doing some really cool stuff different than most others with customizing things you wouldn't normally think about. My strongest feeling is that i'm not good or consistent enough to take advantage of it.
If you ever owned a driver with a track system, did you just leave the weight in the middle?

This is about setting and forgetting. A chance to let your swing dictate what puts you in the best slot, and then leaving it be. When I think of my experiences with wedges over the years, there are absolutely some that just flat out did NOT work for my swing, and I'm now looking back wondering if a bit of lead tape on the heel would have made all the difference in the world.

I don't think screws in clubs are anything new, are they?

This is the first time I've seen legitimate talk about weight distribution from a fitting perspective outside of a putter.

I agree but when I first saw clubs on site thought might be a PXG product. My PXG driver and hybrid have weights that moved around change parameters some.. Nice wedges surely these are.

I agree but when I first saw clubs on site thought might be a PXG product. My PXG driver and hybrid have weights that moved around change parameters some.. Nice wedges surely these are.
I guess I see where you're coming from, in a sense that everyone's club looks like someone else's club because it's a golf club haha

To me, I just don't see it. If the weights were all around the perimeter of the head, I could see it, but they are larger and more isolated. If anything I see more Callaway in the presentation than PXG, but I absolutely understand that we all digest things differently.

What a cool concept for the wedges. I like how those look very well put together. It will be fun to watch these roll out and see the results.

Going to drop a Catalyst graphite in this one and see how it works.

These look nice. T grind sounds good. Tiger grind showing up a few a few places. I was not a fan of the TM wedge so if someone else has this grind I would love to try it.

This is an interesting concept (the weighting system). It's like what PXG has done in their clubs. I have to say I'm not really a fan of the look (either in these or in PXG). It just looks off to me looking at the back of the club

Back