Edison Wedges: A Brand Story

Just ordered a 56* wedge from Edison supposed to ship on Thursday my son plays their wedges and he got sick of me taking them out of his bag all day so made me order my own really a great feeling wedges I have mostly used them for pitching and chipping and think they have definitely saved me shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great read, just shows that what you can do when you never give up, he had some unfinished business and bam, Edison Wedges

I just got a 51 and 55 to replace my 50/54. Had a phone call and we discussed what i had and we came up with these. Played them last week and love them. The forgiveness is for real. I am heading to range later to dial in distances with different swings. Need to see where they fall. But i was initially impressed with how they played. I purposely hit them more than normal to start to get a feel. The big difference was weight. Much heavier than my otheres. So far i am happy with the decision. But still early.

Interesting story. I had some score wedges for a bit. They were pretty good and I liked the transition from that to Ben Hogan. Will be interesting to see how these go. I know they have been around for a few years now.

Great article Josh! As an Edison wedge user, I can tell you personally I am not going back.
I have my fair share of experience with a variety of wedges from Vokeys to original Edels and I feel Edison wedges are much easier to play, less options to worry about and perform just as well or better.

Some much needed 3am reading. Looking forward to it.

Really enjoyed the story, and the turns one may encounter in their career.

Enjoyed the webfit process. Gave me options for 4 or 5 deg compositions. Was interesting they put me in a 110 g graphite shaft. That's the weight class I would play, but was neat they recommended it given I put lighter weight steel as current irons shafts. (although I'm not sure if 114 g would be considered light weight anymore these days)

This is a great read. Very interesting what Koehler has done and been involved in over the years. I love that he continues to pursue his passion with Edison through all he has been through. Very cool.

Best of luck to him. I respect anyone with that spirit to take their shot.

I am a very conscientious wedge player and have dedicated lots of practice time to wedge play. I thought I had picked the perfect wedge when I started playing the Callaway MD, then MD4, then MD5 Jaws, but ultimately, I felt like I could do better.

I then tried the Ben Hogan Equalizer II wedges and over the last year had great success with them. My wedge play has improved exponentially. However, I needed to purchase another set because I'm building a 2nd bag to take to my daughter's house in Rancho Mirage. As everyone knows by now, Ben Hogan is out of business.

So I started looking for another wedge and found an Edison wedge that I had purchased over a year ago sitting in my basement. For whatever reason, I don't think I ever tried it.

So I have played a couple rounds with it and I am shocked at the performance. It's a 60 degree wedge and not exactly what I prefer for shots around the green and in the bunkers (I normally play a 56*), but it's working very, very well. And I thought for full shots my gapping would be off, but this seems to fly a little further than the Ben Hogan's.

I've already placed an order for a 56* and it that performs as well as the 60*, I'll be ordering a couple more to fill out my gapping requirements.

I am still a little shocked that the simplicity of this wedge can perform as well as it does. The feel and balance is excellent.

Thank you all for the nice comments, and to Josh for this insightful story about my passion and mission to build better wedges "for the rest of us". To respond to a couple of comments:

J.B. Cobb III -- I patented this "dual bounce" sole design in the early 90s and it has been on every wedge I've done . . . because it's that good. Merit Golf to Reid Lockhart, EIDOLON, SCOR, Ben Hogan and now Edison. I keep tweaking it to make it better and better.

To MSEASU -- We'll do better than just letting you see an Edison Forged wedge -- we'll build you any loft and shaft combination you want and let you play it for up to 30 days. If you don't agree with these other believers, just send it back and we'll refund your purchase price. Fair enough?

interesting adding mass to the top of the wedge. will be interesting to see where they go and how the grow.

Oh, most OEMs do that to help keep flight down.

When I played Eidolon wedges, they spun so much, my instructor bought them from me.;)

That's a really great story. I seem to remember doing the online fitting sometime ago, but not sure if I still have the email or can even remember the results. I may revist just out of curiosity to see what they would recommend, and how different it is to what I currently play.

Still have my Scor wedges and will always have my PTx Pro's. Been so long since I've taken the Scor out but I think I remember them being some of the most green grabbing wedges I played at that time. Wishing him the best in this adventure.

Thank you all for the nice comments, and to Josh for this insightful story about my passion and mission to build better wedges "for the rest of us". To respond to a couple of comments:

J.B. Cobb III -- I patented this "dual bounce" sole design in the early 90s and it has been on every wedge I've done . . . because it's that good. Merit Golf to Reid Lockhart, EIDOLON, SCOR, Ben Hogan and now Edison. I keep tweaking it to make it better and better.

To MSEASU -- We'll do better than just letting you see an Edison Forged wedge -- we'll build you any loft and shaft combination you want and let you play it for up to 30 days. If you don't agree with these other believers, just send it back and we'll refund your purchase price. Fair enough?

Terry, great to see you chime in here.

Just got shipping notice on my 2nd Edison wedge. Love the email that was sent out after placing my order. Shows a real appreciation for the importance of wedge play during a round of golf.

Good article.

I have only known Terry Koehler as The Wedge Guy from his writing of many articles over the years and he has some interesting, helpful and sometimes provocative ideas.

Did the wedge fit and pretty quickly got back an email listing 5 degree and 4 degree gaping from my PW. The email also stated that the wedgefit team would take a look and send another email, was interested in that since I mentioned in the comments section i was happy with my set GW at 50 degrees and wondered if that would change anything. Got the email from the wedgefit team and got the same recommendations as the original email with possible 5 degree and 4 degree gaping setups from my PW. The new email did include an offer for $15 off my first order.

Did the wedge fit and pretty quickly got back an email listing 5 degree and 4 degree gaping from my PW. The email also stated that the wedgefit team would take a look and send another email, was interested in that since I mentioned in the comments section i was happy with my set GW at 50 degrees and wondered if that would change anything. Got the email from the wedgefit team and got the same recommendations as the original email with possible 5 degree and 4 degree gaping setups from my PW. The new email did include an offer for $15 off my first order.
Nice little coupon there.

Outstanding article and great expansion of the Edison Wedge story. I recently purchased two Edison Wedges to replace my Sand Wedge and Lob Wedge (54 and 59 degree) and could not be happier. These wedges have the feel of forged, which they are, with the forgiveness of a cavity back - they are truly the best of both worlds. They come with my highest recommendation to anyone who is looking at new wedges or want to improve the current wedge striking.

I purchased 4 Edison wedges this spring (45/50/55/60). All the performance benefits touted by Edison are true but the confidence that the wedges inspire is what truly separates them from other wedges. Now all Edison needs is 9i lofts to further add to the scoring clubs.

I’m one of the customers who bought a 50 with the 30 day trial, and then soon after ordered the 54 and 58 to fill out my set. I can say that I’ve found every marketing claim to be true. They do spin more, fly longer, are more forgiving, and fly a bit lower (but not much, so don’t let that higher CG stop you from trying them). But most importantly, my full shots no longer come up short. I’ve made some bad swings that still hit the green with these wedges - the same swing that would have left me way short with my previous wedges. I do tend to contact the face slightly high, so they work so well for me on distance control. An added bonus is that they look amazing. Honestly, I can’t say enough good things about them and urge you to try them if you are on the fence - they are so good.

This is a brilliant email and really makes a guy think:

GROOVES CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH

In the wedge category, it seems like the majority of the hype is about grooves and face textures. I have tested wedges with no grooves at all and can share that -- on a dry ball -- grooves may add as little as 15% more spin. Fifteen percent!

With all the repeated claims about better grooves, do you realize the USGA has not changed the rules governing these aspects of face treatment in over 10 years?

Yes, milling techniques have improved since then, but the improvements that can be made through groove geometry are minuscule at best.

Still, every wedge maker is pushing the envelope on face texture and groove geometry – and Edison does, too – but meaningful leaps in the spin generation just cannot be made by changing the grooves only. Grooves are just the icing on the spin cake.

So, when I set out to create remarkably different and better wedges, I knew subtle tweaks to grooves and face texture were not going to get it done.

The only way to significantly improve wedge performance is to dramatically change the way the mass is distributed across the back of the clubhead. That's why the Edison Forged Wedges look so different from all others. We have put significantly more mass above the center-face impact point to maximize the gear effect for maximum spin. And "Iron Byron" proves it worked.

We hit shots with 54-degree "tour" wedges from top brands, putting them head to head against Edison Forged Wedges. The clubhead speed was 75 mph for an average distance of 85-90 yards. And the results were shocking.

Edison Forged Wedges increased center-hit spin by as much as 38%! And because our innovative approach to weighting mitigates spin loss on off-center impacts, when we averaged the spin from all five impact points – center, toe, heel, high and low -- the difference was even more pronounced.

So, am I smarter than those guys at the big companies? Surely not. They have brilliant engineers and amazing resources. So how did we do it?

As you'll recall from a previous email, we're not focused on what elite tour professionals want from their wedges. We designed a wedge that would do what thousands of golfers just like you told us they wanted!

1. More Consistent Distance Control
  2. More Forgiveness Of Their Mishits
  3. More Spin

This is a brilliant email and really makes a guy think:

GROOVES CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH

In the wedge category, it seems like the majority of the hype is about grooves and face textures. I have tested wedges with no grooves at all and can share that -- on a dry ball -- grooves may add as little as 15% more spin. Fifteen percent!

With all the repeated claims about better grooves, do you realize the USGA has not changed the rules governing these aspects of face treatment in over 10 years?

Yes, milling techniques have improved since then, but the improvements that can be made through groove geometry are minuscule at best.

Still, every wedge maker is pushing the envelope on face texture and groove geometry – and Edison does, too – but meaningful leaps in the spin generation just cannot be made by changing the grooves only. Grooves are just the icing on the spin cake.

So, when I set out to create remarkably different and better wedges, I knew subtle tweaks to grooves and face texture were not going to get it done.

The only way to significantly improve wedge performance is to dramatically change the way the mass is distributed across the back of the clubhead. That's why the Edison Forged Wedges look so different from all others. We have put significantly more mass above the center-face impact point to maximize the gear effect for maximum spin. And "Iron Byron" proves it worked.

We hit shots with 54-degree "tour" wedges from top brands, putting them head to head against Edison Forged Wedges. The clubhead speed was 75 mph for an average distance of 85-90 yards. And the results were shocking.

Edison Forged Wedges increased center-hit spin by as much as 38%! And because our innovative approach to weighting mitigates spin loss on off-center impacts, when we averaged the spin from all five impact points – center, toe, heel, high and low -- the difference was even more pronounced.

So, am I smarter than those guys at the big companies? Surely not. They have brilliant engineers and amazing resources. So how did we do it?

As you'll recall from a previous email, we're not focused on what elite tour professionals want from their wedges. We designed a wedge that would do what thousands of golfers just like you told us they wanted!

1. More Consistent Distance Control
  2. More Forgiveness Of Their Mishits
  3. More Spin

Just ordered my 2nd Edison wedge after seeing what I could do with the first one. They definitely have a different "feel" to them. I call it more balanced than what I feel from my other wedges (Callaway MD5 Jaws and Ben Hogan Equalizer II's).

Like everyone else, I kind of felt this was more hype than fact, but I think there's more to it than just hype. I'm very impressed with the build quality and feel of these wedges.

My dad just received his first one last week and is already ordering a second.

I think the feel and look really stand out for me.

It's not a big, bulky head. It looks great at address and the feel is tremendous.

Back