Edison Wedges Review Thread

Here is a video from yesterday while i was at the range before playing. I hit a couple of shots with he 54 deg between 95-100 yards but i flighted the second one down a bit.

CG manipulation definitely impacts spin and launch. I’d say of all the variables out there (ball, grooves, shaft, etc), the head itself will have the biggest impact.

Now, the spin/launch windows for these wedges probably aren’t in a massively different realm than a standard wedge, because frankly there isn’t enough mass to move around. Take a hollowbody GI iron for example. In that case you can do much more manipulation, because there’s so much more mass to move around. Look at the new JPX Hot Metal line for ways a company can dramatically change launch conditions in a head.

That being said, there is a noticeable difference to my eye (and in robot testing), especially with harder swings using the 49. Rather than a loopy/floaty ball flight, it’s much flatter with a tight rise, apex, and drop. I am sort of obsessed with it it right now.
Agreed. I didn’t notice much difference between launch angle and or spin between the other wedges I have and my Edison wedges.

I got another round in today and the wedges continued to perform very well. Partial shots say from 20-60 yards have been very good. I have been able to get the distances and trajectory I was looking for.

After a poor drive on 10 I punched out (my punch out game was elite) to 60 yards and hit a partial 59 to 12 inches. Later in the round I had 85* uphill into a 20 mph cross wind. I figured I needed about 100 yards and I hit a knock down 49* to 8 feet and rolled in the putt.

I don’t have actual numbers to document it but I feel like I am hitting these wedges closer on these shots than with my old wedges a ZX5 50* and Vokey SM9 58*.

I had a couple of shots from some very thick rough and really liked the way the wedges moved through the rough.

I am not sure on the sand yet. My sand play has been inconsistent but I felt the same way about the Vokey as well. I play the 59* out of the sand. I hit 2 sand shots today the way I wanted to. While I didn’t get up and down the shots were crisp and the results solid.

I like the PGI shafts. I find the perform very well and I am very comfortable hitting them regular or flighting them down.

I was okay with the length today. As I mentioned they are 1/4” longer than either the ZX5 or the SM9. Today I was conscious to choke down on them when necessary.

My only caution is they are more rounded than either the the ZX5, MD5 still in the bag or the SM9. I am getting more comfortable with it each day. I just need to make sure to focus on the bottom groove to make sure the wedge is set up square.

I am still contemplating adding a wedge in the middle to replace my 54. I think I am likely to do it but need a few more rounds with them to be certain.

Windy as hell today. Steady 15-20mph with wacky gusts. Perfect time to get some video on the Edison’s performance in the wind, so I set up the camera on the range and worked on flighting balls into the wind to the 90 yard green. Went really well, but the video, well….

View attachment trim.BDC667AD-D218-4E5D-A003-7072F5515AE0.MOV

Unfortunate, but what can you do. I guess the main takeaway I can share is that I didn’t miss the target green once in the four minutes and the distance control was very much there. The ball definitely was fighting the wind and the ball flight went higher than a standard shot as a result. So no, I wasn’t hitting little laser beams, but I’m not sure how that would be possible given the conditions. The fact I was able to cut through and hit the target was very satisfying.

I wanted to talk a little bit about greenside performance and the Koehler sole. Our fairways are, for the most part, well developed and forgiving bent grass. Shots from that type of lie are really easy to execute with the Edison wedge and I can get a ton of spin if I want to. My son was on the green as I was hitting a low spinner and remarked how dramatically he saw the ball check up.

But, those are easy shots. How about crappy lies? While waiting our turn to tee off, I took the opportunity to lay three balls down on very different lies to show how the wedge handles them. 1st was a ball sitting on top of rough, second was on a bare lie, and third was sitting down in the rough. I took slightly different approaches to the three shots, as one might expect. The first two were perfect for using the bounce with more of a putting stroke motion. Third had to get a little steeper.

That second lie was about as tough a greenside shot as there is imo. Bare, firm lies like that are just magnets for blading the ball, so you really have to trust the bounce to do its job and allow the wedge to slide into the ball.

Finally, I hit a good shot and wanted to show it. Sue me :LOL: This does illustrate some of the good things I’m seeing with the wedges though. I had an 90 yard shot right into the previously mentioned wind from a bad lie in the rough. Pin was slightly tucked, so not much room for error. In the end, from that rotten lie I was able to get the ball to stop within 8 feet of its pitch mark.
View attachment trim.6342F86F-3FE5-409C-BDC1-BD4CDF214F0D.MOV

Attachments

• trim.BB4CD189-10C7-4499-AD2F-3CA0CD0A4DEE.MOV
    2.4 MB
The wedges I have the most experience with prior to the Edisons are the Hogan Equalizers. I used the 50 (bent to 49), 54 and 58 degree Equalizer wedges for about 4 years prior to recieving the Edison wedges (49, 54 and 59). Below is a compare and contrast between those two wedge lines.

Looks
Both have a very similar look at address. The thickness of the top lines look pretty much identical to the naked eye. Both have a constant blade length among the three wedges in each set and I measure all 6 wedges to have an identical blade length. While the Equalizers have a constant toe height among the 3 wedges, the toe height on the Edison increases approximately 1/16" from the 49 to the 54 and again from the 54 to the 59.

Feel
Both wedges are forged carbon steel so feel almost identical to me when striking the ball from full swing to chip shots.

Turf Interaction
Both wedge lines feature what appears to be the same "V" sole, which make sense since Terry Koehler brought that sole to Hogan wedges and irons when he ran the company. I would rate the turf interaction very similar on both lines from a variety of turf lies. In my fairly brief experience with the Edison wedges, I do give them the edge when hitting from hard pan lies and out of bunkers. My experience with both of those lies has shown cleaner contact with the ball from both of those lies with the Edison over the Hogan wedges.

To be continued tomorrow.

All - Terrific reviews; thanks for all of your hard work! Something that I'm interested in knowing is who plans to keep the Edison's "in the bag" after the review period is over?

All - Terrific reviews; thanks for all of your hard work! Something that I'm interested in knowing is who plans to keep the Edison's "in the bag" after the review period is over?

Thanks @Bob M. I do appreciate you following, commenting, and asking questions.

Regarding whether these will stay in the bag - Yes they 100% will. It’s still what I’d consider early’ish in the review process, but I’ve reviewed more than enough equipment to know if I’ll keep something in my “official” bag. At some point I plan to buy the 53 as well. Looking back to TK’s money-back program, I can see why he’s confident enough to do that. No way I would have sent these back if I’d bought them.

As for why they’ll stay….

1) Really versatile sole
2) A little added forgiveness
3) Ball fight/spin is great
4) Great feel and look at address
5) Performance is 100% there as advertised

A couple things I’d change…

1) The cavity and back of the wedge is different enough that it will cause some people to pass before they have a chance. I stress again they are very typical at address, but I know golf equipment consumers.

2) I’d love to see more standard shaft offerings because, again, I know that’s sometime people will look at. I know you can order with custom shafts, but I think a list goes a long way. That being said, I’m very impressed with the PGI. Much more so than I expected to be.

@Hawk - Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed, comments which I find really helpful. As I mentioned previously in this I already own a set (49*, 53* and 59*) of steel shafted Edison wedges which I am strongly considering having re-shafted in graphite to match my irons (at which point I'll have the 53* bent to 54*) to use next season. My own testing so far has included hitting various types of chip shots and some bunker shots, but has been limited as regards distance wedge shots of 30-yards and up. So, next steps (which won't be for a couple of weeks due to my travel schedule) will be work on the range then taking them to the course for "live fire" testing.

Findings so far....completely agree on the versatility of the sole. It works well from tight lies, rough and the hard packed sand which dominates my home course. Also, the feel is fantastic versus my G710 wedges. I'm really looking forward to hitting longer shots with the club to check out the ball flight, spin and forgiveness for myself. If all goes well, I'll be bringing the clubs to my club builder later this year.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but the TXG guys did a really interesting and positive review of Edison wedges, particularly as it relates to the CG positioning.

I played 18 this monrnig and once again, I am so thankful to be picked for this.....My wedge-alepsy is gone

I might have been accused for hitting short on some holes just to get the 54 or 49 out of the bag and hit little spinners and drop shots for a par save.

My 54 is so money from 100 yards and the 49 i have gotten that setting up straight on it, and i hit some dialed in shots this morning. these are so easy to slide under the ball for those short shots, but bette yet....

the grass around some of the greens is so long that the ball is below the top of the grass if you short side yourself. I have 2 i know that i just topped the 54 down and the back od the ball and it just popped out and rolled across the green for a par save. one i missed the putt and got a bogiee but still, before i would have been lucky to just get it one the green. so good

This is piquing my interest

This is piquing my interest
They are worth a try. I was having some real issues with my 25-45 yard range pitches. Chunking and blading my old wedges and these things have been a real treat to use. And not just hitting the green with them but getting closer to the pin than I’ve ever had.

Thanks @Bob M. I do appreciate you following, commenting, and asking questions.

Regarding whether these will stay in the bag - Yes they 100% will. It’s still what I’d consider early’ish in the review process, but I’ve reviewed more than enough equipment to know if I’ll keep something in my “official” bag. At some point I plan to buy the 53 as well. Looking back to TK’s money-back program, I can see why he’s confident enough to do that. No way I would have sent these back if I’d bought them.

As for why they’ll stay….

1) Really versatile sole
2) A little added forgiveness
3) Ball fight/spin is great
4) Great feel and look at address
5) Performance is 100% there as advertised

A couple things I’d change…

1) The cavity and back of the wedge is different enough that it will cause some people to pass before they have a chance. I stress again they are very typical at address, but I know golf equipment consumers.

2) I’d love to see more standard shaft offerings because, again, I know that’s sometime people will look at. I know you can order with custom shafts, but I think a list goes a long way. That being said, I’m very impressed with the PGI. Much more so than I expected to be.

Regarding the cavity I am always amazed that the way something you can’t see at address impacts someone playing a club. I only care about what the club looks like at address. The club looks good at address. I love the size of it. The rounded leading edge is a little distracting to me but I appear to be alone on that. I would like to hear from TK if there is a reason for that.

On the cavity front is much less deep than I thought it was going to be.

Regarding whether they will stay I am still making a decision. I have really good with the 59 from the grass. I haven’t been as good from the sand but I still think that is me and not the wedge. At the end of the day I do think they are going to stick but I need a bit more time. If they stay I will likely add a wedge between the 49 and 59. It would need to be a 54 which would likely need to be bent to that.

Regarding the cavity I am always amazed that the way something you can’t see at address impacts someone playing a club. I only care about what the club looks like at address. The club looks good at address. I love the size of it. The rounded leading edge is a little distracting to me but I appear to be alone on that. I would like to hear from TK if there is a reason for that.

On the cavity front is much less deep than I thought it was going to be.

Regarding whether they will stay I am still making a decision. I have really good with the 59 from the grass. I haven’t been as good from the sand but I still think that is me and not the wedge. At the end of the day I do think they are going to stick but I need a bit more time. If they stay I will likely add a wedge between the 49 and 59. It would need to be a 54 which would likely need to be bent to that.

I think the leading edge doesn’t bother me because I’ve seen/reviewed some that were much more dramatically rounded. These are sort of middle of the road to me.

Typically, a little bit of rounding will help the leading edge look flush to the ground, even with the face open or the bounce engaged.

I think the leading edge doesn’t bother me because I’ve seen/reviewed some that were much more dramatically rounded. These are sort of middle of the road to me.

Typically, a little bit of rounding will help the leading edge look flush to the ground, even with the face open or the bounce engaged.

Agreed. My Ping Eye-2 and Glide 3.0 Eye-2 wedges are much more rounded than the Edison so it isn't something I've paid much attention to.

Mine will be staying. The only change I will make is the grips, changing from the stock Lamkin Crossline with 2 extra wraps under the right hand to grips with at least half cord and standard taper.

Agreed. My Ping Eye-2 and Glide 3.0 Eye-2 wedges are much more rounded than the Edison so it isn't something I've paid much attention to.

My only real issue is aligning them square to the target. It looks a little different and I need to be comfortable with it.

I am curios how many of the reviewers are planning on gaming the wedges full time in the future? And if you are do you wish you had went different shafts or lofts?

They are worth a try. I was having some real issues with my 25-45 yard range pitches. Chunking and blading my old wedges and these things have been a real treat to use. And not just hitting the green with them but getting closer to the pin than I’ve ever had.
RH only at the moment

I am curios how many of the reviewers are planning on gaming the wedges full time in the future? And if you are do you wish you had went different shafts or lofts?
In the past i have had a pokey 56, a couple of Mizuno's, previous to these i was playing Hogan Equalizers, i was so bad into the Wedge-elepsy that i tried the Kirkland wedges, I would chunk, stick them in the soft grass if it was wet in front of the green, and after getting these, the strong one is a 49 instead of a 50 and a 54 which i was playing one already at 54.....

I don't know if its just the weight of the edison, the way it feels with the heavy shaft , 108-110, but the heft of these is so easy for me to play and have confidence again. Seriously looking at a 57 for bunker play and yes, I plan on them staying win my bag-period

I have a collection of those other wedges in the corner and i plan on taking them down an seeing what the weight diff is and posting it

In the past i have had a pokey 56, a couple of Mizuno's, previous to these i was playing Hogan Equalizers, i was so bad into the Wedge-elepsy that i tried the Kirkland wedges, I would chunk, stick them in the soft grass if it was wet in front of the green, and after getting these, the strong one is a 49 instead of a 50 and a 54 which i was playing one already at 54.....

I don't know if its just the weight of the edison, the way it feels with the heavy shaft , 108-110, but the heft of these is so easy for me to play and have confidence again. Seriously looking at a 57 for bunker play and yes, I plan on them staying win my bag-period

I have a collection of those other wedges in the corner and i plan on taking them down an seeing what the weight diff is and posting it

Your story sounds like mine. I have really been considering these wedges. I currently play a set AW (50*) and Callaway 54* and 58*. I am very close to pulling the trigger on one wedge to give them a try before I order a set. I have been going back and forth on the set make up. My initial thoughts were keeping it the same, 49*, 54* and 58*. But I am lacking confidence with my 58* so currently thinking going 1* strong along the set, 49*, 53* & 57. And now after your post I am pondering 49*, 53* and 57*. I am currently in a state of paralysis of analysis...

Your story sounds like mine. I have really been considering these wedges. I currently play a set AW (50*) and Callaway 54* and 58*. I am very close to pulling the trigger on one wedge to give them a try before I order a set. I have been going back and forth on the set make up. My initial thoughts were keeping it the same, 49*, 54* and 58*. But I am lacking confidence with my 58* so currently thinking going 1* strong along the set, 49*, 53* & 57. And now after your post I am pondering 49*, 53* and 57*. I am currently in a state of paralysis of analysis...

I would say pick one loft and go with it. I am hitting my 59* the same distance with a full swing that I hit my 58* Vokey and haven't found that I need to adjust the way I hit less than full swings. I am someone who makes full swings with the 59 and it was a comfortable 80 yard club for me with the Vokey and the same with the Edison. Don't over think it jump in.

I also went graphite with the PGI 100 for the first time in a wedge and like it. I don't have any issues with the shaft and it flows nicely from the Steelfiber i95 in my irons.

In the old days i had a 50 and a 56 and my 56 was my tossed salad. I played short shots, flops sand shots, everything with it form 110 and closer. Now i have a 49 and a 53 bent to 54. I figure if i add a 57 for those bunker shots and short touches a round the green, i would be golden

I am planning on staying with the same lofts and shafts.

In the old days i had a 50 and a 56 and my 56 was my tossed salad. I played short shots, flops sand shots, everything with it form 110 and closer. Now i have a 49 and a 53 bent to 54. I figure if i add a 57 for those bunker shots and short touches a round the green, i would be golden

Right now I am 49, 53 (a bent 54) and a 59. The 49 and 59 are the Edison wedges. I am thinking of adding a 54 to fill in the gapping. With my T100s I was playing 48, 53, 58 with 5* gapping which gave me good gapping on the course. Right now I am a 44* PW (ZX5), 49* Edison, 53* (54* MD4 adjusted), 59* Edison. If I replace my current 53 I would go 54. I am not sure if their wedges get built that way or bent off the odd lofts.

Right now I am 49, 53 (a bent 54) and a 59. The 49 and 59 are the Edison wedges. I am thinking of adding a 54 to fill in the gapping. With my T100s I was playing 48, 53, 58 with 5* gapping which gave me good gapping on the course. Right now I am a 44* PW (ZX5), 49* Edison, 53* (54* MD4 adjusted), 59* Edison. If I replace my current 53 I would go 54. I am not sure if their wedges get built that way or bent off the odd lofts.
Odd numbers, but they will bend a 53 to 54 for you. M/y 54* has 53 stamped on it

Back