Edison Wedges Review Thread

Seems I’m hitting these pretty well…

F1B854D4-CA79-4D42-BD51-1704F9F622CB.jpeg

The wedges I have the most experience with prior to the Edisons are the Hogan Equalizers. I used the 50 (bent to 49), 54 and 58 degree Equalizer wedges for about 4 years prior to recieving the Edison wedges (49, 54 and 59). Below is a compare and contrast between those two wedge lines.

Looks
Both have a very similar look at address. The thickness of the top lines look pretty much identical to the naked eye. Both have a constant blade length among the three wedges in each set and I measure all 6 wedges to have an identical blade length. While the Equalizers have a constant toe height among the 3 wedges, the toe height on the Edison increases approximately 1/16" from the 49 to the 54 and again from the 54 to the 59.

Feel
Both wedges are forged carbon steel so feel almost identical to me when striking the ball from full swing to chip shots.

Turf Interaction
Both wedge lines feature what appears to be the same "V" sole, which make sense since Terry Koehler brought that sole to Hogan wedges and irons when he ran the company. I would rate the turf interaction very similar on both lines from a variety of turf lies. In my fairly brief experience with the Edison wedges, I do give them the edge when hitting from hard pan lies and out of bunkers. My experience with both of those lies has shown cleaner contact with the ball from both of those lies with the Edison over the Hogan wedges.

To be continued tomorrow.

Continuing my comparison of the two wedge lines.

Distance - Full swing Shots
I picked up 2 - 3 yards with the Edison 49 vs. the Hogan 49 (50 degree bent a degree strong). Getting the same full swing distance from both with the 54 wedge. Getting the same distance from the 59 Edison and the 58 Hogan.

Chip / Pitch Shots
When I initally put the Edison wedges into play, I played the chip shots exactly as I had been with the Hogan wedges for 4 or so years and saw the same amount of roll out once they landed on the green. I almost always use a bump and run type chip shot because I feel that I can control the total distance better with that type shot than trying to fly it closer to the hole using more backspin. Same thing with less than than 75% swings from the fairway or rough. I plan for a certain amount of roll out on those shots and the ball reacts very similarly using both wedge lines after the ball hits the green.

Spin
A definite advantage to the Edison wedges when it comes to the amount of backspin I generate from each of the three Edison compared to the Hogan wedges. Even when the Hogan wedges were brand new, I typically saw the shots hitting, taking one small hop and stopping instead of the actual backing up I am getting with the crisply struck Edisons.

Forgiveness
The one place I see definite increased forgiveness from the Edisons over the Hogans is from chip shots and less than full swing shots from thick, fluffy bermuda rough. These shots typically tend to hit higher on the face and the ball struck with the Edison wedges is definitely crisper with a good bit less loss of distance from the high of the clubface strikes from these lies. I have not detected any forgiveness advantage from the Edisons over the Hogans from full swing, or any other shot out of the fairway, shots.

I could certainly alternate the two wedge sets from round to round and not miss much of a beat. The increased forgiveness from the thick, fluffy rough lies and off hardpan (which hitting off of is not a very frequent occurence) give the Edisons the slight playability edge in my book.

Continuing my comparison of the two wedge lines.

Distance - Full swing Shots
I picked up 2 - 3 yards with the Edison 49 vs. the Hogan 49 (50 degree bent a degree strong). Getting the same full swing distance from both with the 54 wedge. Getting the same distance from the 59 Edison and the 58 Hogan.

Chip / Pitch Shots
When I initally put the Edison wedges into play, I played the chip shots exactly as I had been with the Hogan wedges for 4 or so years and saw the same amount of roll out once they landed on the green. I almost always use a bump and run type chip shot because I feel that I can control the total distance better with that type shot than trying to fly it closer to the hole using more backspin. Same thing with less than than 75% swings from the fairway or rough. I plan for a certain amount of roll out on those shots and the ball reacts very similarly using both wedge lines after the ball hits the green.

Spin
A definite advantage to the Edison wedges when it comes to the amount of backspin I generate from each of the three Edison compared to the Hogan wedges. Even when the Hogan wedges were brand new, I typically saw the shots hitting, taking one small hop and stopping instead of the actual backing up I am getting with the crisply struck Edisons.

Forgiveness
The one place I see definite increased forgiveness from the Edisons over the Hogans is from chip shots and less than full swing shots from thick, fluffy bermuda rough. These shots typically tend to hit higher on the face and the ball struck with the Edison wedges is definitely crisper with a good bit less loss of distance from the high of the clubface strikes from these lies. I have not detected any forgiveness advantage from the Edisons over the Hogans from full swing, or any other shot out of the fairway, shots.

I could certainly alternate the two wedge sets from round to round and not miss much of a beat. The increased forgiveness from the thick, fluffy rough lies and off hardpan (which hitting off of is not a very frequent occurence) give the Edisons the slight playability edge in my book.

Good info, @Sox_Fan

I still have some old Hogan TK15’s. The sole is Rey similar, but different construction as far as weighting goes. I definitely would take the Edison for the perimeter weighting, because they both feel and sound excellent.

Though it feels like a month in this time-compressed world we live in, it’s been two weeks and around 60 posts since I’ve put the Edison wedges in the bag for this review process. I’ve done this a lot in the past and I have learned notice the moment that reviews transition from one stage to the next. I feel like my round yesterday was officially the end of the honeymoon/obsession stage.

Don’t misinterpret that as yesterday I fell out of love or even had a bad round with the Edison wedges. In fact, I had a better round than my last one and hit maybe my best full wedge shot since I started playing again. Instead, I mean that the wedges have planted themselves as a steady, consistent part of my bag. I don’t feel like there’s a ton of mystery left and I know what to expect.

This is when long-term reviews start to get difficult, because you start to feel like you’re repeating yourself. I am sure @Sox_Fan, @Chef23, @DNice26, and @donny475 have at least some sort of feeling similar to that.

I do have some ideas for different content in the coming weeks, but some of it is delayed by some logistical issues. Point being, pardon me if I end up sounding redundant, because I plan on continuing to discuss what I’m seeing with the product. Long term trends reveal themselves if we keep talking, so I encourage all the testers to keep observing and discussing.

Lastly, and I guess this will be a bit of a controversial thing to say, but I like to be direct.

I would love to see a little more forum engagement other than the occasional “like” here and there. We’ve had a few people jump in and I do appreciate that more than you know. I think a question or challenge from readers is a great way to 1) keep your peers engaged in their testing responsibilities and 2) uncover some things we hadn’t thought of. So, if you’re reading, put us to work.

Though it feels like a month in this time-compressed world we live in, it’s been two weeks and around 60 posts since I’ve put the Edison wedges in the bag for this review process. I’ve done this a lot in the past and I have learned notice the moment that reviews transition from one stage to the next. I feel like my round yesterday was officially the end of the honeymoon/obsession stage.

Don’t misinterpret that as yesterday I fell out of love or even had a bad round with the Edison wedges. In fact, I had a better round than my last one and hit maybe my best full wedge shot since I started playing again. Instead, I mean that the wedges have planted themselves as a steady, consistent part of my bag. I don’t feel like there’s a ton of mystery left and I know what to expect.

This is when long-term reviews start to get difficult, because you start to feel like you’re repeating yourself. I am sure @Sox_Fan, @Chef23, @DNice26, and @donny475 have at least some sort of feeling similar to that.

I do have some ideas for different content in the coming weeks, but some of it is delayed by some logistical issues. Point being, pardon me if I end up sounding redundant, because I plan on continuing to discuss what I’m seeing with the product. Long term trends reveal themselves if we keep talking, so I encourage all the testers to keep observing and discussing.

Lastly, and I guess this will be a bit of a controversial thing to say, but I like to be direct.

I would love to see a little more forum engagement other than the occasional “like” here and there. We’ve had a few people jump in and I do appreciate that more than you know. I think a question or challenge from readers is a great way to 1) keep your peers engaged in their testing responsibilities and 2) uncover some things we hadn’t thought of. So, if you’re reading, put us to work.
Redundant is okay, and your longer form reviews have been great to digest.
I would love to hear some in depth thoughts from the other testers as well and perhaps some answers to these questions.

1. Can you compare them to your previous wedges in terms of not what is better or worse, but what the major differences are?
2. What should make someone jump on these rather than one of the many wedges available?
3. Instead of telling how about your last round with them, can you talk about ball flight, different shots played, etc?
4. What is Edison doing right with these that immediately stands out?

When it comes to a product like this, that people can't run and try at a store, what stands out that makes them consider trying them. Its these reviews that will help shape yes or no of course.

I hear ya, and i know i need to get mine down to the store and actually get some weight difference on my old wedges vs these new ones. crazy busy for me being 4th quarter and that is my issue, not the wedges. I know there have been a few that have asked what the plan is after the "review" period and as far as i am concerned. I can not buy a better wedge for my game right now, the i know of. But then again, i am not going out looking for one due to the way these feel and play.
I have great confidence even to the extent that i was playing holes backwards to hit a tee shot to leave me a pw or more into a green because i had no confidence in my wedges at all that If i was not hitting a full shot into a green, i dod not want to have that yardage.
Right now i feel like i can bite down an a shot of 50-100 and spin it in there. If i hit short of a green and have 5 yheards to a green I can choose to hit a releasing chip or fly a 54 deg back to the pin and stop. these will stay in my bag and there will most likely be a n addition of a 56 or 57 for bunker play

I've only managed to play golf one round with these wedges this past weekend.

I'm impressed by the full swing ball flight (peak height) consistency I've seen across the 3 wedges (50, 56, 60). The feels are so dense and soft, different from the non forged, CB type wedges I've played over the season.

The short game performance is great. I'm seeing excellent square face pitch/chip performance. They don't seem to grab quite as much as my Ping Glides, but the sole passes into and out of the turf really well. One thing I need to test more is shots where I decide to open the face a bit. I did that a few times during my round and I wasn't quite getting the sole in and out as nicely as when the face is square.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the wedges and looking forward to getting on course more. I may visit my father in Myrtle beach in October, so that will be a really great opportunity for me to get in further experience.

2. What should make someone jump on these rather than one of the many wedges available?

When it comes to a product like this, that people can't run and try at a store, what stands out that makes them consider trying them. Its these reviews that will help shape yes or no of course.

Cut a chunk of your post out because it was exactly where my brain was going with my next post.

I was trying to self-analyze why I was hesitant to jump on these when I first started reading about them. You know I’m a sucker for small companies with really well-designed products, so when you couple that with needing some forgiveness it really should have been a no-brainer to at least give one wedge a 30 day run.

There’s just a block there for me with the DTC sales model sometimes, which makes NO sense when you consider how many things I’ve bought completely blind over the years. I mean I’ve bought stuff blind that I could have driven two miles away to try and buy :LOL: There is absolutely no sense in it and I think the opportunity to miss out on some great products is there.

One thing I’ll say - a 30 day, money back guarantee is something I think we are sometimes numb to, and frankly a little bit leery of. My experience with Terry K, and based on his rep in the industry, is that he means what he says there. The wedges even came with instructions for returning them. He’s going to get some returns, because nothing works for everyone, but he’s extremely confident people will keep the wedges (and rightfully so imo).

1. Can you compare them to your previous wedges in terms of not what is better or worse, but what the major differences are?
Compared to my Ping Glide 4.0, these Edisons have a more dense, solid and softer feel. To be honest, it surprised me when I first hit them, as I have not hit a forged wedge in some time. The footprint is also smaller in the Edisons, which I'm indifferent about. I don't love or hate a smaller head wedge (comparatively). One thing that slightly bugs me about the Glide 56 is it has a touch of offset. The Edisons have little offset and a great overall shape.
One thing I'm not used to, is all 3 wedges being the exact same length. Its fine in the LW and SW, but I would have expected the 50 to be a bit longer.

This is a great question. The forged construction and the feel that comes with that makes a fairly strong case, but I think its the performance of the raised CG and sole that brings that home. I think if someone may struggle with controlling their peak height, these wedges have a lot to offer.

3. Instead of telling how about your last round with them, can you talk about ball flight, different shots played, etc?
The only shot I have yet to hit with mine are bunker shots. I'm hoping to hit some this weekend so I can comment on that. As for normal shots, I'm finding them easy to fight on full swings and short game pitches and chips launch consistently with

The simplicity of the design, the forging and unique product characteristics (higher mass weighting and Koehler sole grind). The sole grind compliments the higher mass really well. I'm getting really consistent center face (laterally and vertically) strikes.

One thing that immediately pops out to me here is their risk free guarantee. Edison appears to be quite confident in their product.
Additionally, they take club trade ins to support a purchase. I love taking advantage of club trade ins to buy/try new sticks. Clear out some older gear quickly and easily without the hassle of multiple shipments, fees etc..

One thing that immediately pops out to me here is their risk free guarantee. Edison appears to be quite confident in their product.
Additionally, they take club trade ins to support a purchase. I love taking advantage of club trade ins to buy/try new sticks. Clear out some older gear quickly and easily without the hassle of multiple shipments, fees etc..

Doesn't every brand have that though?

I think there’s a couple perfect types of consumers for the Edison wedge.

1) The “I don’t understand grinds” guy that still wants and needs advanced performance from a wedge.

I feel like (at one point in time) you’d have been hard-pressed to find a reader that knew much more than I did about wedge grinds. Even then, looking back I’ve only found one that performed for me with enough versatility I can justify it having a constant presence in my bag. I think the TK sole really simplifies things and it makes me question a lot of my previous thoughts on wedge grinds. My course has gone from spongey to firm and fast in about a week. I’ve not skipped a beat with wedge performance. I can tell you unequivocally if I had something like a K grind in the bag, it would be sitting there getting very little use.

2) The “I can’t play oversized wedges” guy that still needs and/or wants forgiveness.

Hi there. I’m Ryan and don’t like giant wedges (and I suck at ball striking). I know there are others like me.

Sorry, I didn't think so. You would know more so than me.
I was thinking more to those sold in stores and how return polices are fairly normal. Be it Edwin Watts or Roger Dunn and their playability guarantee or something else.
You are right though, a no questions asked money back guarantee is a bit different.

I was thinking more to those sold in stores and how return polices are fairly normal. Be it Edwin Watts or Roger Dunn and their playability guarantee or something else.
You are right though, a no questions asked money back guarantee is a bit different.

I suppose I was thinking of Golf Galaxy, which, if I'm not mistaken has no playability type guarantee.

Reactions: JB
Unfortunately I am away from my clubs for most of the week. I did play a couple of times over the weekend and provided my thoughts but here is some additional information.

I have the 49 and 59. For me the 49 is mostly a 80-110 yard club depending on the wind. I do use it around the green a bit if I need to carry a ball halfway to the hole and let it run out.

Right now I really like the 49 vs the ZX5 50. The ZX5 looks like a shovel in comparison. I find the 49 goes a bit farther (it is a different loft) and like the trajectory. I do generally try not to hit the ball sky high. I also find I am able to flight the 49 very well. On Sunday I hit a sweet 49* from 85 yards uphill into the wind. I flighted it down and hit it to 3 feet for a closing birdie.

I have always been someone who is comfortable with partial wedge shots. I am sure it is due to practicing it a lot. I find the 59 has excelled from distances between 20 yards and 80 yards which is a full swing. I don’t keep exact stats for this but I feel like I have hit a lot of partial wedges to easy 1 putt distance. More than I usually do.

I do feel the 59 digs a bit more than my Vokey SM9 D grind with 12* of bounce. It digs way less than the PM grind 58*. I think the shape of the 59 does make it get through rough very nicely. I had two green side lies in heavy rough on Sunday that I was able to get the club through the ball and close to the hole that I didn’t feel I would have the same success. I do slightly prefer the way I am able to use the bounce on the SM9 from tight lies around the green. I find every once in a while I while the 59 will dig a bit. As I get more familiar with the Edison it gets better.

Sand is still up for debate. My sand game is a bit of a mess right now from a technique perspective so it is hard for me to compare. I am below average with both wedges. I get the ball out no problem but I am not nearly as good as I should be.

I would still love to see someone put some real numbers/evidence to the higher mass = less short shots claim. Even without a launch monitor could one of the testers tee up some shots on the range to force some high face strikes to see how much farther these carry on those type of strikes?

@Hawk touched on this point already, but to phrase another way: If you were to replace all your wedges with Edisons, what sole grind would you be missing? Is there any particular shot that you would need a specialized grind for that the Edison can't quite match?

My understanding is that in most cases TK will recommend adding a degree of loft to match the distance of your current wedge. Does this seem to be holding true?

I would still love to see someone put some real numbers/evidence to the higher mass = less short shots claim. Even without a launch monitor could one of the testers tee up some shots on the range to force some high face strikes to see how much farther these carry on those type of strikes?

@Hawk touched on this point already, but to phrase another way: If you were to replace all your wedges with Edisons, what sole grind would you be missing? Is there any particular shot that you would need a specialized grind for that the Edison can't quite match?

My understanding is that in most cases TK will recommend adding a degree of loft to match the distance of your current wedge. Does this seem to be holding true?

My issue with shots on the range is targets are usually less precise and the range balls aren’t as good. I likely won’t get any range time in until the weekend but I will see what I can do.

I find the grind of the Edison to be quite flexible. I haven’t found a shot that has been a challenge for me tor replicate at this point. If you are super steep I could see having issues potentially but you should probably improve technique if that is a big problem.

To the guys reviewing the Edison wedges, now that you’ve had time to use them, how accurate do you think the fitting process was? Would you change anything now if you could?

Regarding data on high face misses, I think the unfortunate reality is that (at least from me) you’re going to have to wait a bit due to the logistical issues i mentioned before. Keep in mind, distance windows on wedges are pretty small, especially when you don’t hit the ball a long way. Put another way, if the difference is 4% on a 100 yard shot, I don’t think I can realistically convey that by eye on a driving range. My fear is that I proclaim massive forgiveness based on half-cocked testing and mislead somebody. Please believe me that this is 100% a facet I plan to cover in a controlled environment at some point. It could be a few weeks, but this is a long term test and I’ll need some material down the road.

As far as a missing grind, I personally am not missing one. I have used a heel/toe grind extensively in the past and do not find myself lacking without it. I could see someone that is accustomed to a super high bounce wedge like a K grind feeling a little uncomfortable at first.

Jury is out on distance increases. Personally, I think we go back to the distance window issue again. One degree of loft and it’s corresponding distance is just going to be difficult to observe by eye. Conversely, the ball flight Im seeing is different and I can see that plainly.

To the guys reviewing the Edison wedges, now that you’ve had time to use them, how accurate do you think the fitting process was? Would you change anything now if you could?

That’s a great question JCB.

If I look at it from the perspective of “did the suggestions match what I’m accustomed to” then I think it worked out just fine. I’m pulling wedges for numbers and situations that I’m used to and seeing expected results.

That being said, I think there are inherent weaknesses in an online system. You risk missing so many of the personal details unique to each of us. Personally, I feel like I could have probably just looked at a list of available options and would have come to the same conclusion on what length/lie/shaft/grip to get. Some of that is my familiarity with equipment, but I don’t think I’m alone in that regard. I do recognize some folks aren’t going to be great at making those choices, so I’m sure it’s more helpful to them.

However, and this is a big however, having the ability to talk with Terry K was a game changer and I think anybody looking at Edison should reach out to the company and have a discussion with them before buying. I wouldn’t have ever tried the 49 and used it in the capacity I have without talking to TK. His suggestion to go with it, and to use it for more than just a full swing club, really opened up a new facet to my wedge play.

Redundant is okay, and your longer form reviews have been great to digest.
I would love to hear some in depth thoughts from the other testers as well and perhaps some answers to these questions.

I'm not a tester, but I do have the wedges and I can answer 3 of those 4 questions....

2. People should jump on these for a couple of reasons. First, they have a no questions asked 30 day guarantee. So you can get the wedges built for you... Use them and then send them back if you don't like that. That's pretty solid. Second, Terry has a long line of successful wedges working on the same idea.... So it's not just someone building a wedge in a lab and using a robot to test it out. It's tweaking of a concept that has long been in use, which I find to be a positive.
3. In general, I'm hitting these wedges a bit higher than my previous SCOR wedges... but the ball is carrying further and they're spinning more. I have a hard time keeping them flighted lower, but that's honestly just a byproduct of my tendency to be flippy at impact. Gotta know your swing I guess.
4. Edison is putting out a wedge that ISN'T flashy. The wedge isn't something that's going to catch your eye with colors or fancy inserts. It's a straight forward wedge that feels great, looks crisp and clean, and most of all.... performs. Which I think is hard to consistently find in the golf industry...

I'm not a tester, but I do have the wedges and I can answer 3 of those 4 questions....

2. People should jump on these for a couple of reasons. First, they have a no questions asked 30 day guarantee. So you can get the wedges built for you... Use them and then send them back if you don't like that. That's pretty solid. Second, Terry has a long line of successful wedges working on the same idea.... So it's not just someone building a wedge in a lab and using a robot to test it out. It's tweaking of a concept that has long been in use, which I find to be a positive.
3. In general, I'm hitting these wedges a bit higher than my previous SCOR wedges... but the ball is carrying further and they're spinning more. I have a hard time keeping them flighted lower, but that's honestly just a byproduct of my tendency to be flippy at impact. Gotta know your swing I guess.
4. Edison is putting out a wedge that ISN'T flashy. The wedge isn't something that's going to catch your eye with colors or fancy inserts. It's a straight forward wedge that feels great, looks crisp and clean, and most of all.... performs. Which I think is hard to consistently find in the golf industry...

Most excellent. I am deciding on who the replacments will come from for my Hogan Equalizers. Which like #4, I don't consider them flashy or anything like that, but they have a nice feel and the price was right for me.

I currently am hitting a 50 and 56. When I did Edison's online fitting tool, it suggested 50, 55, 60. I don't have a 60 but may get one as I do play out of a lot of deep sand traps. Also there is a lot of deep bermuda rough and it seems one of the consistent reviews is they play well out of that.

I noticed you have a 50, 54, 60. Should I look at the 54 instead of the 55?

Thanks

I would not change a thing. The distances turned out to be right was I was looking for and am used to. The shafts TK suggested seem to be working out very well also.

Most excellent. I am deciding on who the replacments will come from for my Hogan Equalizers. Which like #4, I don't consider them flashy or anything like that, but they have a nice feel and the price was right for me.

I currently am hitting a 50 and 56. When I did Edison's online fitting tool, it suggested 50, 55, 60. I don't have a 60 but may get one as I do play out of a lot of deep sand traps. Also there is a lot of deep bermuda rough and it seems one of the consistent reviews is they play well out of that.

I noticed you have a 50, 54, 60. Should I look at the 54 instead of the 55?

Thanks

I came from Hogan Equalizers and wrote up two posts last week on comparisons of the Edisons to them.

Edison only makes odd lofts. If you wanted an even loft, they suggest having them alter the loft right under it one degree weak. For example, the 54 they sent me is a 53 bent to 54.

Back