Edwin Watts Files Bankruptcy

Been hearing rumblings of this for awhile so honestly I'm not surprised. The dudes at my local store are D bags so I certainly see why the one around here never does any business. That and they never have any new equipment in.

Was just discussing their business & practices locally last weekend.

Hope potentially losing a local shop but not surprised at all.

No big surprise to me. Hopefully now something bigger, better and with a better selection and prices will come to Tallahassee.

Although I hate to see any business file or go under it doesn't suprise me, their service at the stores I went to in Fla was terrible, it was truly like they hated being there and passed that attitude on to the customer.

Not surprised here either, I do like the Macon store though, it is the best one I have ever been in. The ones is Atlanta just can't compete with the PGASS's and Golfsmith for big box service or inventory. The one in Tally is woefully small, maybe 1/3 the size on most of the other EWs I have been in. It all comes down to customer service to me.

Although I hate to see any business file or go under it doesn't suprise me, their service at the stores I went to in Fla was terrible, it was truly like they hated being there and passed that attitude on to the customer.
Maybe they should have done Undercover Boss!!

Been hearing rumblings of this for a while. I've only been to one retail location and was unimpressed. I understand retail, but not golf retail - so wouldn't have any grand ideas myself for them to be profitable. Just a tough business with a vast majority of consumers purchasing items online. Perhaps follow Golf Galaxy's Tour Van store concept? Which is specifically modeled to compete against PGA SuperStore.

If they go under I'll be sad, as my local EWG is a solid store with good folks working there.

Ive only been to the one in panama city and it was a pleasant visit...

I doubt they'll go under, its Chapter 11 bankruptcy which allows them to try to fix things.

looks like they filed for Chapter 11 reorganization and not 7 (liquidation) so they'll likely be around for awhile, maybe with some underperforming stores closed. creditors will be ones gettin' a bit of a squeeze.

I've been in a few good ones (Knoxville and Birmingham come to mind) and some not so good ones, but retail golf equipment is a tough market to be in right now since they seem to have less flexibility than whatever games the internet stores can play with pricing.

Hope they make it out the other side since they service some markets that don't have other major choices.

The one down here in Sarasota is a nice shop, and one that I have given a great deal of business too.

However, the reason I like them, is because no staff in that store comes up to help me or ask if I need help. Left alone to browse and do as I need, and get what I need and check out.

Obviously, that is poor sales practice on their part, and there seems to be a lack of customer service in most EWs that I go to.

not too many if any around this way. The one I went to in Orlando was decent, but the GOlfsmith's Ive been in have been a better experience.

I am surprised considering they are a mainstay in Orlando with several stores and always seems to move inventory. The staff that I deal with and have dealt with with for the past 12 years has always been solid.

The other big box in Orlando have this attitude about them that I never get at Edwin watts. From the club repair to selection of gear they always have what you need.

Is like to see them pare back on some of the brands they carry but other than that I hate to hear this. My local EW shops have aided in some great golf years for me.

Sounds like a fairly weak company culture and organizational structure where some are fantastic and some are horrible. Have to develop a strong culture of customer service at the top and then instill that value in all of your employees. Retail channels are still adapting to the changes brought on by the internet; we're facing the same thing in banking. Now that the customer can get all of their products online, what is the purpose of a retail store? To help the customer when they have questions, not as much about actually making the sale.

Freddie, the one in Orlando is the only one I've been to where I have received knowledgeable customer service. Still, they always are WAY less crowded than Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy.

usual corporate BS and part of what wrong with this country. They some how open new stores just this same very year and yet somehow are in trouble at the same time? How is that even possible and allowed? How can they have the money to expand and open new stores just months ago but now they calim chapter11? They're to the point of trouble so bad that it requires a bankruptcy and just few months back were able to open new stores? Its always about nothing but putting money in the pockets of a select few individuals and what they can swindle and get away with is ridculous. Somebody will take them over and some individuals will get millions for doing the deal and then the swindle cycle continues like everything else.

There are a few in Orlando, and they are generally pretty good. The one in Tampa is hit and miss, but it's only a couple miles away, which helps. However, there is a Golfsmith a few miles away that is a little better. I hope they survive, because I hate the idea of people like Dick's grabbing a greater share of the golf retail market.

I've never even seen an Edwin Watts store and I don't even think of them when shopping online. From some of the stories here, it sounds like they need a major overhaul on customer service.

Im on the flipside as I like Edwin Watts. I think there stores are stocked better than just about everybody in that they have full lines from just about every major brand out there including Bridgestone and Wilson Staff.

Their staff is quite knowledgeable, but unlike the others do not harass you with wrong info and push you into a sale. They can answer questions however.

I also like their CEO quite a bit. John is a bright man and in a tough age of retail and growing costs due to things out of their control (ie govt), has stayed the course with growth. However this year hit them (like many) and weather played a huge role in that. Many companies including some of the biggest in the world got killed because of the weather.

And to the poster that says "how do you open and then file". Its easy. While grand openings exist and are called opening of stores, those take major time to do. It was all part of a growth structure set out that put this company on the map. It made sense and their growth was in the right areas. They did not expand nationally or try to compete with Dicks/Golf Galaxy machine. The worst decision ever would have been to pump all the money for 14 months into opening a store and then not finish due to funds. Grand openings immediately add an influx of cash (albeit small) and make for an attractive purchaser if that is the way this goes. Not everything is a conspiracy theory.

Im on the flipside as I like Edwin Watts. I think there stores are stocked better than just about everybody in that they have full lines from just about every major brand out there including Bridgestone and Wilson Staff.

Their staff is quite knowledgeable, but unlike the others do not harass you with wrong info and push you into a sale. They can answer questions however.

I also like their CEO quite a bit. John is a bright man and in a tough age of retail and growing costs due to things out of their control (ie govt), has stayed the course with growth. However this year hit them (like many) and weather played a huge role in that. Many companies including some of the biggest in the world got killed because of the weather.

And to the poster that says "how do you open and then file". Its easy. While grand openings exist and are called opening of stores, those take major time to do. It was all part of a growth structure set out that put this company on the map. It made sense and their growth was in the right areas. They did not expand nationally or try to compete with Dicks/Golf Galaxy machine. The worst decision ever would have been to pump all the money for 14 months into opening a store and then not finish due to funds. Grand openings immediately add an influx of cash (albeit small) and make for an attractive purchaser if that is the way this goes. Not everything is a conspiracy theory.

I have found the guys at the Brandon store to be friendly, but not very knowledgeable. The dale Mabry store was the opposite, knowledgeable but pushy, and lose interest if they get the feeling you won't buy right then.

I've been to a few of them here and only one was decent. The sad part is that the best one is the smallest, always under staffed and always under stocked. The manager is awesome though and the customer service is good.

The biggest one by me is the worst golf store in town. Over staffed and zero customer service. Hanging a good manager is paramount IMO.

#ImWithChad

Back