Elbow issues? Does swapping to graphite iron shafts help?

Had it bad in my right elbow. Dr prescribed a strong anti-inflammatory and the pain went away in less than a week.

Thanks the swap is coming once I save my pennies up. Some UST goodies are going into my Srixon 785’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a bout of it a few years back. Switching to graphite didn’t help at the time, but I don’t have it anymore, so maybe they did help in the long term.

Danimal;n8891989 said:
I had a bad bout of tennis elbow 3 years ago. I had a compression sleeve and a band for the forearm. The band actually worked great and I could have just used that. My pain dissipated over the winter and hasn’t returned like that. Do I still get sore here and there, yes. I am not sure graphite shafts are the end all for this injury, it is usually time and anti-inflammatory drugs.

This is where I am (I think). My elbow pain isn't debilitating, but it is fairly constant. I think I just need time and meds to get it under control. However, I play year-round in Vegas, so I never really give it time to rest. I'd rather play through a little pain than not play for a few months, hoping it resolves.

DMoney79;n8885142 said:
Its hell turning 40 this year wonder what ailment I will be complaining about at 50!!! I just want what I get from steel in graphite is the only problem!

It's sight, back and hip issues 50+. You've got some good suggestions, strengthening and wearing a compression sleeve. One I didn't see is ice after a round. Ice the trouble area after a round to reduce inflammation. And believe it or not, Hank Haney's Voo Doo pain relief rub is the best I or my wife has used and at my advanced age I have used a few.

+1 on ice afterwards, helps a great deal. That and anti inflammatory meds and last resort, which is the hardest to do, rest. But I have recently changed to graphite and the feedback is certainly much reduced.

jhtr20;n8892133 said:
It's sight, back and hip issues 50+. You've got some good suggestions, strengthening and wearing a compression sleeve. One I didn't see is ice after a round. Ice the trouble area after a round to reduce inflammation. And believe it or not, Hank Haney's Voo Doo pain relief rub is the best I or my wife has used and at my advanced age I have used a few.

Yeah I’m almost 40 with 4 month I’m feeling older than ever heehee! I will have to pick up some of that Voo Doo. Been using Biofreeze which is ok but not helping.

Gaholfer;n8892140 said:
+1 on ice afterwards, helps a great deal. That and anti inflammatory meds and last resort, which is the hardest to do, rest. But I have recently changed to graphite and the feedback is certainly much reduced.

Yep ice and NSAIDS have been helping the only one I haven’t been willing to do is REST!

IMO the change to Graphite is very helpful and as someone who has gone back and forth the pain shows up more in my wrist than elbows.
I was on the fence if it really helped until the last go round with the Elevate 120's which were definitely much better with their system, but after a few weeks the wrist and other pains started to show back up. Switched back to the Catalyst and the pain was gone in a couple of weeks and has not returned.

As someone who cannot or should not take NSAIDS, due to high blood pressure and being on a blood thinner it is big to try and avoid the pain to start with and I will not stray back to steel again.

jim54;n8892297 said:
IMO the change to Graphite is very helpful and as someone who has gone back and forth the pain shows up more in my wrist than elbows.
I was on the fence if it really helped until the last go round with the Elevate 120's which were definitely much better with their system, but after a few weeks the wrist and other pains started to show back up. Switched back to the Catalyst and the pain was gone in a couple of weeks and has not returned.

As someone who cannot or should not take NSAIDS, due to high blood pressure and being on a blood thinner it is big to try and avoid the pain to start with and I will not stray back to steel again.

Yeah I definitely don’t want to be dependent on NSAIDS just not the way I want to do things. I’m going to make the switch before the new year. Going to ask Danny what’s best for me.

I've treated hundreds of cases of this. You would get better results visiting a sports chiropractor trained in Kinesiology, than you will visiting a fiberglass shaft.

I will leave that last comment alone......

I switched to graphite shafts 26 years ago after a bad break of left wrist. Definitely less reverberation with graphite on miss hits. Reduced weight of club too. My shafts are about 80 grams which is much less than steel. A couple exercises help too. arm straight out and stiff palm down and grab two middle fingers and pull them in.

PatsFan;n8885171 said:
I have had Both Rotator cuffs repaired and I am getting Arthritis in my hands and the Graphite shafts have eliminated about 90% of my post round pain.
I wish I had switched to graphite sooner.

I have really bad arthritis in my hands and a stupid steep swing. I’m going back to graphite and staying with them this time

57 yo, and last year I had the surgery in a January of 2018 to clean out the right elbow and as the surgeon said - re attach the tendon. What he told me was due to constant inflammation the tendon becomes inflamed, and over time the arthritis has the tendon detach. It was a 30 min process and 3 months recoup. Like new. Now the left one is acting up. January is coming again, but my left shoulder is worse than the elbow.
i hate being 50+
Thinking of swapping to graphite, but the cost..... might be better/cheaper to get a whole new set

In my case graphite eased pain significantly. I like many others here have arthritis in fingers, torn rotator cuff, torn/detached shoulder bicep tendon, tennis elbow, etc, all the crap that comes with old age and playing a lot of “less than perfect “ golf.

I loved playing steel and tried going back a couple of years ago to Nippon Modus shafts (awesome shaft) but only lasted a month and elbow pain returned so I swapped in some graphite (Recoils) and pain went away. I am interested in trying out the Elevate shafts some day as it sounds like they encompass some dampening technology.

I would love to just swap the shafts but:
per club cost
Shaft $25
Grip $10
shaft pull $8
Shaft prep and install $17
$60 per club X 9 clubs =$540
YIKES

I got graphite shafts in part due to trying to alleviate soreness in my left (lead) elbow. I can't say that it has "cured" the problem, which is still predominantly dependent on how much I practice off mats, but I feel like it can't make things worse. I still get plenty of feel and it's not like a wet noodle.

I wouldn't mind trying a graphite shaft w lower torque numbers though... the 780ES is fairly high in that "rating"

I don't know about switching to graphite as I never did. But I had really bad tennis elbow in my right elbow. It was to the point where I couldn't even shake hands without almost dropping to my knees. I had a cortisone shot about 4 years ago and haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Had a pretty bad case of right elbow tendonitis (RH golfer) about...5 years ago. Use to hit the range a lot at that time, maybe once or twice a week if I wasn't playing that weekend. Range was off mats. Anyway, was playing steel DG S300s at the time in pretty much all my sets. After taking a forced leave to let my elbow heal for about 4 months, I picked up a set of original Apex with Recoil 110s.

Felt a lot like steel, balance and load wise so had no issues there. Yes, it cost a bit more but I haven't come close to feeling any elbow issues since.

Can't chance going back to steel now though.

I switched from steel to Recoils years ago and my elbow feels much better after a round. Why the hesitation?

And believe it or not, Hank Haney's Voo Doo pain relief rub is the best I or my wife has used and at my advanced age I have used a few.

Is there anything that Haney won't put his name on?

Is there anything that Haney won't put his name on?
He is making quite a living off golf. Good for him. I can't say I'd turn it down if offered. I do think he has a financial stake in the Voo Doo products. It was the "Get your money back if it doesn't work" offer that got me to try the pain relief cream. Honestly, glad I did.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

I'm making the switch in the coming weeks when I get my new irons. They are in Mitsubishi graphite & I've gamed only graphite once in my Titleist AP2 that have Recoil 95's in them but they never really worked out. It terms of feel though it was great, no pain in the wrist or the elbow. My pain is in the right elbow for some reason. May have something to do with banging it on the bottom of the pool after doing a cannonball in the shallow end while hammered ... dunno though :ROFLMAO:

Back