Elbow issues? Does swapping to graphite iron shafts help?

I’ve played several rounds since switching to Recoils and the pain in my hand has pretty much went away. Actually it’s hurting more this week than it has in awhile. But I’m on vacation and I think it’s lack of movement. I didn’t expect holding beers and cigars would be rough on my hands :LOL:

I have been battling tennis elbow(top) not golfers elbow(underneath), but tennis elbow. I had talked to JB at the ShaftUp at Olympia Fields about swapping to graphite in my irons. It seems to never get better and has been going on for 3-4 months now. Anyone with experience out there let me know. I'm reaching out for experience from the forum. I would definitely go UST but have no idea weight or flex might need to do a trial run. What are some of the reasons out there for why you swapped to graphite iron shafts?

Not elbow pain in my case, but my wrists are shot, specifically my left. I switched to 125gram Accra Graphite from 130 c tapers and my wrist has not hurt a day since.

Not elbow pain in my case, but my wrists are shot, specifically my left. I switched to 125gram Accra Graphite from 130 c tapers and my wrist has not hurt a day since.

Yep I’ve spotted me a set of UST Recoils just got to make a deal with the shop to swap shafts for me. There Recoil Prototype 125 F5’s hope I can get the deal done today and get them put in for my trip next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well its official I'm swapping shafts out for the Recoils either tomorrow or Monday. Can't wait to get these put in going to be great! Will report back how the elbow reacts.

I made the switch the other way from graphite to steel. I had recoils in my CF16's but went back to my 714 AP1 for better dispersion. I loved the Recoils but I need to get fit for the right ones. I initially made the switch from steel to Recoils because of an elbow issue, don't want that to happen again so off season I'll make a switch back to Recoils with new (don't know which) irons.

I played 18 last Friday, 54 Saturday, and another 18 Sunday.

First guys weekend with all graphite shafts. First guys weekend since around 2000 where I wasn't ODing on ibuprofen.

It's a small sample size, but graphite helped me a lot.

As a plus, the stock HL4 graphite iron shafts appear to have as good or better dispersion than my steel shafted Launcher HB irons and my steel shafted Calloway Diablo Edge irons.

I played 18 last Friday, 54 Saturday, and another 18 Sunday.

First guys weekend with all graphite shafts. First guys weekend since around 2000 where I wasn't ODing on ibuprofen.

It's a small sample size, but graphite helped me a lot.

As a plus, the stock HL4 graphite iron shafts appear to have as good or better dispersion than my steel shafted Launcher HB irons and my steel shafted Calloway Diablo Edge irons.

Nice thanks for sharing, I’m on vacation and pick up my irons on Monday. They will be making their maiden voyage next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... Close to 20 years ago I decided to master knockdown shots in Chicago's windy conditions and spent an entire fall hitting only knockdowns. Trouble is in late fall they stop watering courses and the ground was rock hard, so I got proficient with knockdowns but developed a nasty case of elbow tendonitis pounding the head into the hard ground. I tried all the inserts including ensicore and even home made ones and while they seemed to dampen the feel, my elbow wasn't any better. After taking several months off per my ortho's advice, I switched to 130gm Aldila NV Tour shafts and they worked great with zero pain. I have been playing graphite in my irons ever since and would never consider steel as I play 250+ rounds a year and my body needs the shock absorption.

I have been battling tennis elbow(top) not golfers elbow(underneath), but tennis elbow. I had talked to JB at the ShaftUp at Olympia Fields about swapping to graphite in my irons. It seems to never get better and has been going on for 3-4 months now. Anyone with experience out there let me know. I'm reaching out for experience from the forum. I would definitely go UST but have no idea weight or flex might need to do a trial run. What are some of the reasons out there for why you swapped to graphite iron shafts?
I chunked one bad and tore the tendons on outside and inside. Got a PRP injection. Fixed the tennis elbow and physical therapy Astym fixed the inside. PT says to put heat on the elbow before playing and ice it immediately. Wearing a strap below the elbow when playing will make you feel better

I chunked one bad and tore the tendons on outside and inside. Got a PRP injection. Fixed the tennis elbow and physical therapy Astym fixed the inside. PT says to put heat on the elbow before playing and ice it immediately. Wearing a strap below the elbow when playing will make you feel better
I hope the OP’s tendinitis is gone with by now seeing it started over 18 months ago.

Short answer is yes it will help. It won’t completely fix it as you are still going to be using that area of your body.

Back