Grins

AMDG
Reaction score
Handicap
20ish
I watched Chris Como's show on the Golf Chanel (Como Concepts) & the one titled "Safe Speed" had a segment about a type of myofascial stretching technique called ELDOA. It's a French acronym & the the guy they had on (Dan Hellman) is a big supporter of using this to keep your body & especially your spine healthy.

Each stretch is meant to be 60 seconds long with full effort & focus: no eyes closed relaxing stuff here lol!

I found a few video references. Unfortunately I can't find any video from the original program & my recording appears to be low resolution for some reason.

This was one of the stretches demoed on the Como show:
Here's the L5-S1 stretch (most commonly injured joint is L4-L5 or L5-S1, accod=rding to Hellman)

They also did a T12-L1 stretch: Start with knees bent 90*, roll right leg out, stick left leg out at 45* with toes pointed at chin & foot rolled inward. Then do the Spiderman web shooter move, and then raise arm up to sky.
T12-L1 (1).JPGT12-L1 (12).JPGT12-L1 (3).JPG

They also did this T8-T9 stretch:

T9-T9 4.JPG

These guys have a series of videos that show/explain some of this stuff:

Has anyone ever heard of this or tried doing it? What little research I saw looks very promising for actually changing the space/thickness of disks in the spine.

I haven’t had a chance to look at the videos, but it looks interesting. I like like the idea of holding a stretch for 60 seconds.

no i have not but i believe i will do some digging

I'm having trouble finding specific list of stretches or actual techniques shown. Dan Hellman has a few things up, but it's just him talking about how great this stuff is.

Seems like you may have to find a certified person & spend some cash. But I figure what Como showed on TGC is enough to get started with & hopefully I can build from there.

I love the show (Comp Concepts) and watch them all, but I must have been multitasking when watching this one because I don’t remember it. I’ll have to give some of the stretches a try.

My lower back kills me a few times a year with no obvious cause. I’m sure it’s from the repetitive motion of the golf swing. My chiropractor thinks it’s related to the SI joint or maybe the L5-S1 joint and likely inflammation that irritates a nerve to trigger the pain. His electronic/automated traction table helps resolve it after a few sessions so that first stretch may help me.

I stumbled across the ELDOA method last year. My wife has bad neck and spine issues and I thought it was something that could help her. She tries to do it once or twice a day. It is by no means a cure all but she says it does give her some relief. I saw that Chris Como episode Ill check to see if its still on demand on xfinity.

Looks promising!

Back