Electronic Reviews

MO_Hacker

At the drag strip
Reaction score
Handicap
DragRacing
Just wondering where you all go to compare and view reviews on electronics, ie LCD tv's.
My father in law is looking to replace this
recycleoldtvs.jpg

He is shall we say "frugal" and is looking at a Polaroid 42" 1080p LCD because it's the cheapest one he can find. I haven't found too much info on them, any help?

CNet. They are who I trust. Then I go to AVSFORUM and get some consumer info.

I use CNET too, but although I also belong to AVS Forum also, I like High Def Forum better. And of course Consumer Reports as well.

AVS Forum is great, but definitely technical. Your best bet is to go there and look at the the models the most people are talking about. I found, when I bought my 50" Plasma three years ago, that they tend to focus on the models that are high quality but not the very top of the line. Good bang for your buck. I know nothing about Polaroid LCDs, but if no one is talking about them on AVSForum, they aren't worth talking about.

Just wondering where you all go to compare and view reviews on electronics, ie LCD tv's.
My father in law is looking to replace this
recycleoldtvs.jpg

He is shall we say "frugal" and is looking at a Polaroid 42" 1080p LCD because it's the cheapest one he can find. I haven't found too much info on them, any help?

Let me know what you decide--I'm in definite free rider mode on this one. I'd like to replace the basement television. The remote is so old you can only turn the thing on and off by plugging it in or pulling the plug.

I can tell you now he will end up buying the Polaroid because it's the cheapest one he can find.:act-up:

The guy that owns Independence Audio told me last summer that the best bang for the buck he sold was Samsung LCD. He also liked the Pioneer plasmas. If I was buying one it would be the Samsung.

I can tell you now he will end up buying the Polaroid because it's the cheapest one he can find.:act-up:

The guy that owns Independence Audio told me last summer that the best bang for the buck he sold was Samsung LCD. He also liked the Pioneer plasmas. If I was buying one it would be the Samsung.

I'm a Pioneer Plasma owner. Love it! Highly recommended for anyone in the market.

I'm a Pioneer Plasma owner. Love it! Highly recommended for anyone in the market.

We've already got a Samsung mounted above the fireplace in the family room, but this one will just sit on a cabinet. What would be ideal is if the the DVD player, the VCR (yes, we still have one) and the Wii could all plug into it at the same time. Preferably in the back.

Perfect, Claire. Perrrrrrrrrrrfect!

We are Panny Plasma owners and Sharp Aquos LCD owners.

We'll get a plasma as soon as the TV in the downstairs office goes caput. LCD upstairs in the living room with all the windows. Downstairs the curtain is closed most of the time.

You like the Panasonic for plasmas JB? Because we agree on the Sharp Aquos LCD (52-inch here). What sizes are your TV's?

Claire that new avatar is the bomb, haha.
I would think that you could run all of your devices through any of the tv's on the market. I could be wrong, not a real techie. I don't even own a lcd or plasma, I can't justify paying the money when there isn't anything wrong with the tv I bought a few years ago.

Another AVS Forum member here, I got a lot of good info years back from there when I was buying my first LCD. I now have 2 Olevia's(42" & 27") and I have had no problems with either one. I have had the 27" for several years now, and the 42" over a year. I have had a 17" Viewsonic for 3+ years and it is solid as well. Black Friday will be a great day to buy a TV, but you should do your homework first as to what it will be used for(how many devices are going to be hooked up to it, and what kind of connections are required for these device).

According to today's WSJ, there'll be lots of deep discounts this season. I refuse to go shopping on Friday though.

Make sure he gets an HD box from Cable or Satellite to get the whole experience (even though most programming is still SD). I don't know about Comcast, but Time Warner has close to 50 HD channels not including the movie channels. (DVR too, if possible!)

I like CNet too. As far as TVs, Ive got a Samsung DLP(61) in the living room and a Panasonic Plasma(42) in the bedroom. Im looking at getting something for the patio, but will probably go cheap as it is outside.

Back