Electronics Pondering with Kmac, Tmex and Coolbreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa Dog!
Surface will be at THP HQ Tomorrow!!!!

I want one badly. I like the new Dell tablets. They look sweet

Whoa Dog!
Surface will be at THP HQ Tomorrow!!!!

I am still holding out hope for some forum testing with that...

I am still holding out hope for some forum testing with that...

Im still holding out hope for a lot of things dude, sadly we might both be losing with that one.

Alright. Got the Android changeover all complete now. If anyone was wondering the sudden and drastic change the story is this.

My iPhone 5 started all sorts of glitching a while back. Took it in and Apple replaces it due to "water damage". Its never touched water that I know of, but hey, maybe something happened and I didn't notice. Well, that leaves me with one replacement left under Applecare +.

I get the new iPhone and after about 3-4 days I notice a patch of pixels have went dead in the corner of the phone. Now this really irritating because I've had this happen with an iPad I had just purchased recently. I take the iPhone back and once again the rep tells me that the phone has been damaged by water. I argue that there is no way as I've only had it for a few days and that on small patch of dead pixels isn't something that you would see from water damage anyway. He laughs at me a little and says "yeah, but your moisture sensor is tripped so it gets turned in s water damage". I try to explain that is senseless as the reason for damage is obviously not water related but he isn't hearing it. I get online and show him tons of posts discussing how sensitive the water sensor is and that you could literally have your phone in the bathroom with you while your taking a shower and the sensor would be tripped. "Sucks, but that's our policy" is the response that I get. I try to talk to a manager, same spiel. So two phones that were messed up with manufacturer problems and both of them were turned in as water damage and now I have no more replacements left. That's just shady as all get out.

Couple all of this with problems that I've been having with my iPad and iPhone pairing (they keep saying incompatible) and tons of glitches that the iPhone 5 is having that isn't being addressed by Apple, and the last straw is the tons of different adapters I need to buy and the sky high pricing of their laptops with less than comparable specs of PC systems at the same price points and I'm just through.

I know longer feel that Apple serves me defending them and I no longer feel like they are deserving of my hard earned money.

Hello Android. I know you've been waiting for me. I'm now ready to give you your fair shake.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry to hear about your problems, that does not sounds like great customer service to me. Welcome to the Android family ask questions if you have them and do some searching there are many blogs and other sources of information that will help you in your transition.

Im still holding out hope for a lot of things dude, sadly we might both be losing with that one.

Which model are you getting?

The RT. The Pro is definitely more "free", but the RT suits what I use this type of device for.

Nice. If claims hold true, the Surface will definitely be a tablet that starts to bridge the gap between laptops and tablets.

Nice. If claims hold true, the Surface will definitely be a tablet that starts to bridge the gap between laptops and tablets.

This is really what I am looking for. I have a great phone for emails and other things if need be. If I am going to use a tablet to its potential, it has to be able to do certain things. We will see if this fits that bill soon.

The awesome Steve Jobs rant about why 7" tablets are "Dead on Arrival" and will never make it from 2 years ago. Hmmmm.

I'd like to comment on the avalanche of tablets poised to enter the market in the coming months. First, it appears to be just a handful of credible entrants, not exactly an avalanche. Second, almost all of them use seven-inch screens as compared to iPad's near 10-inch screen. Let's start there. One naturally thinks that a seven-inch screen would offer 70% of the benefits of a 10-inch screen.

Unfortunately, this is far from the truth. The screen measurements are diagonal, so that a seven-inch screen is only 45% as large as iPad's 10-inch screen. You heard me right; just 45% as large

If you take an iPad and hold it upright in portrait view and draw an imaginary horizontal line halfway down the screen, the screens on the seven-inch tablets are a bit smaller than the bottom half of the iPad display. This size isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion.

Well, one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference. It is meaningless, unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of the present size. Apple's done extensive user-testing on touch interfaces over many years, and we really understand this stuff. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps.

Third, every tablet user is also a smartphone user. No tablet can compete with the mobility of a smartphone, its ease of fitting into your pocket or purse, its unobtrusiveness when used in a crowd. Given that all tablet users will already have a smartphone in their pockets, giving up precious display area to fit a tablet in our pockets is clearly the wrong tradeoff. The seven-inch tablets are tweeners, too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with an iPad.

Fourth, almost all of these new tablets use Android software, but even Google is telling the tablet manufacturers not to use their current release, Froyo, for tablets, and to wait for a special tablet release next year. What does it mean when your software suppliers does not (inaudible) to use their software in your tablet? And what does it mean when you ignore them and use it anyway?

Fifth, iPad now has over 35,000 apps on the App Store. This new crop of tablets will have near zero.

And sixth and last, our potential competitors are having a tough time coming close to iPad's pricing, even with their far smaller, far less expensive screens. The iPad incorporates everything we have learnt about building high value products from iPhones, iPods and Macs. We create our own A4 chip, our own software, our own battery chemistry, our own enclosure, our own everything. And this results in an incredible product at a great price. The proof of this will be in the pricing of our competitor's products which will likely offer less for more.

These are among the reasons we think the current crop of seven-inch tablets are going to be DOA, Dead on Arrival. Their manufacturers will learn the painful lesson that their tablets are too small and increase the size next year, thereby abandoning both customers and developers who jumped on the seven-inch bandwagon with an orphan product. Sounds like lots of fun ahead.

The awesome Steve Jobs rant about why 7" tablets are "Dead on Arrival" and will never make it from 2 years ago. Hmmmm.
But, the iPad mini "got it right." Didnt they? That's what we were told?

Funny how there was a subtle punch knocking on the screens of 7" tablets, when Apple wend and did the same thing, put a screen with less quality right on their iPad Mini (that wont be a success according to them).

I like to think Im fairly open minded to whatever works and whatever I like when it comes to electronics. Regardless of Apples stance on world peace or whoever is in charge if they make a good product Im interested. And the same goes for Android devices and now Windows. I do think however that Apple grossly misjudged the consumer's appetite for larger screens in their smartphones yet a smaller form factor in their tablets. And I think the iPad mini was a pretty weak attempt just like the iPhone 5 was a similar attempt at a larger screen. Not saying they arent good products but more like an admittance at what they missed and a quick attempt to fix that. I have zero interest in the mini since it doesnt have a retina display and really cant do anything my iPad2 doesnt already do. The Surface does pique my interest though. As does the new Lumia phone.

clearly Jobs was right. I mean the mini has a 7.9 inch screen hehe

Online School Tablet, Help Choosing

Online School Tablet, Help Choosing

I am looking to get a Tablet to mainly be used for Online Schooling but who knows what else I will be using it for from there. I still have my laptop that I plan to use mainly for just typing papers and storage (plan to replace the laptop with a desktop someday). I have been looking at different tablets and the choices are kind of overwhelming. I am hoping to get some suggestions and advice. I plan to buy the tablet on Amazon since I have Amazon Prime and approx $175 in gift cards.

I prefer Android based. I have been using an Android phone for years and haven't used an Apple product since the 2nd generation Ipod Touch. So, that helps to eliminate Ipad or Ipad mini. I've looked at the following Google Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Kindle Fire HD (7 & 8.9), Microsoft Surface, Asus Transformer TF700. As you can see, I am not sure whether to go 7 inch or full size or if I should look into an attachable keyboard or not. I prefer at least 32gb and I don't want to break the bank so probably a $600 limit. Resale/Trade In value may also be a factor with how quickly better products come out.

Any advice and or suggestions are welcome. Looking to pull the trigger in about 2 weeks. If you need anymore background info to better advice me please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks in Advance

-LD

I am looking to get a Tablet to mainly be used for Online Schooling but who knows what else I will be using it for from there. I still have my laptop that I plan to use mainly for just typing papers and storage (plan to replace the laptop with a desktop someday). I have been looking at different tablets and the choices are kind of overwhelming. I am hoping to get some suggestions and advice. I plan to buy the tablet on Amazon since I have Amazon Prime and approx $175 in gift cards.

I prefer Android based. I have been using an Android phone for years and haven't used an Apple product since the 2nd generation Ipod Touch. So, that helps to eliminate Ipad or Ipad mini. I've looked at the following Google Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Kindle Fire HD (7 & 8.9), Microsoft Surface, Asus Transformer TF700. As you can see, I am not sure whether to go 7 inch or full size or if I should look into an attachable keyboard or not. I prefer at least 32gb and I don't want to break the bank so probably a $600 limit. Resale/Trade In value may also be a factor with how quickly better products come out.

Any advice and or suggestions are welcome. Looking to pull the trigger in about 2 weeks. If you need anymore background info to better advice me please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks in Advance

-LD

If it's gonna be for school then have you considered a Windows Surface tablet?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I just loaded up Go Launcher EX on my S3 and it sure does make things look purty.

I just loaded up Go Launcher EX on my S3 and it sure does make things look purty.

Yeah I like GO very smooth and so many options have you every tried Nova Launcher? It is nice also and made for Android 4.0 and higher. Definitely worth checking out as well

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I've never used GO. I liked Apex and Nova when I used them in the past.

Yeah I like GO very smooth and so many options have you every tried Nova Launcher? It is nice also and made for Android 4.0 and higher. Definitely worth checking out as well

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I've never used GO. I liked Apex and Nova when I used them in the past.

Yeah GO is pretty cool. Lots of crap in it but it seems to work well and it looks nice. There are lots of things you can add on like GO Weather which also looks good. Nova is nice too, Ive tried it before.

Found a way to keep my iTunes music on my Galaxy. Double Twist app. Got it downloaded but gotta wait to get home to see how well it actually works. It was highly recommended though, so we'll see.

Yeah GO is pretty cool. Lots of crap in it but it seems to work well and it looks nice. There are lots of things you can add on like GO Weather which also looks good. Nova is nice too, Ive tried it before.

I was just checking out GO. Looks pretty interesting. Might have to check it out.

Found a way to keep my iTunes music on my Galaxy. Double Twist app. Got it downloaded but gotta wait to get home to see how well it actually works. It was highly recommended though, so we'll see.

You can connect your Phablet to the PC and then just drag your music over too. That is what I did to get all my iTunes music.

You can connect your Phablet to the PC and then just drag your music over too. That is what I did to get all my iTunes music.

Really? The file types transfer for music bought from iTunes directly?

Really? The file types transfer for music bought from iTunes directly?

Most of it does, yes. Some older stuff might not but all of mine did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back