Electronics Pondering with Kmac, Tmex and Coolbreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dell has some solid offerings recently. They went through a period where their hardware would give out kinda early, but their warranties picked up the slack. One of the law firms my buddy is at is upgrading to their new super-thin laptops with solid state drives.

Draw to me for Apple is OSX and design. I like the clean lines of both the hardware and software and I've become a big fan of OSX since switching over. I am not a fan of turning the laptops into a dumbed down interface like iOS and I'm not feeling the Metro UI for Windows 8...for laptops at least.

Dell has some solid offerings recently. They went through a period where their hardware would give out kinda early, but their warranties picked up the slack. One of the law firms my buddy is at is upgrading to their new super-thin laptops with solid state drives.

Draw to me for Apple is OSX and design. I like the clean lines of both the hardware and software and I've become a big fan of OSX since switching over. I am not a fan of turning the laptops into a dumbed down interface like iOS and I'm not feeling the Metro UI for Windows 8...for laptops at least.

Those super-thin laptops is actually the first Dell I've ever considered. They are great.

Tappin' for world peace!

Actually placed my order today for MBP 13" with upgraded hard drive with the student discount. It's not a lot, but hey, I'll take the extra $120 savings.

Actually placed my order today for MBP 13" with upgraded hard drive with the student discount. It's not a lot, but hey, I'll take the extra $120 savings.
Nice buy there.

Nice buy there.

Thanks. I'm just hoping it doesn't take long. I went to three other stores here and they were all out of stock and waiting on deliveries. Hope Apple themselves have some in stock.

Thanks. I'm just hoping it doesn't take long. I went to three other stores here and they were all out of stock and waiting on deliveries. Hope Apple themselves have some in stock.

If you ordered from Apple directly, it'll probably be right around a week to week and a half. 13" MB Pro is a great laptop. Wife loves hers. Did you upgrade to a SS drive or a higher capacity HD?

If you ordered from Apple directly, it'll probably be right around a week to week and a half. 13" MB Pro is a great laptop. Wife loves hers. Did you upgrade to a SS drive or a higher capacity HD?

Just higher HD. I thought about doing SSD, but the capacity was not enough for me next year. Need fairly large space for all the architecture and editing software classes. So, I was going to need to pay the upgrade for the SSD and then another $100 or so for a decent sized external HD. In the end the benefits didn't out way the added costs for me.

Just higher HD. I thought about doing SSD, but the capacity was not enough for me next year. Need fairly large space for all the architecture and editing software classes. So, I was going to need to pay the upgrade for the SSD and then another $100 or so for a decent sized external HD. In the end the benefits didn't out way the added costs for me.

Makes sense. I think a need for HD space or a bigger screen is the only reason to not go for an MacBook Air now. One thing you may find interesting is that if you don't need the CD drive, there's a lot of people replacing the CD drive on MB Pros with a second SS Drive. It acts as the boot drive with the bigger HD as storage. I've seriously debated doing this.

Makes sense. I think a need for HD space or a bigger screen is the only reason to not go for an MacBook Air now. One thing you may find interesting is that if you don't need the CD drive, there's a lot of people replacing the CD drive on MB Pros with a second SS Drive. It acts as the boot drive with the bigger HD as storage. I've seriously debated doing this.

I agree. The Air offers a great package with amazing mobility and speed. I looked into one myself, but again the space and price difference just didn't justify my needs in a laptop.

I have a couple of friends though with Air's with a large external HD and it's nothing but smooth and amazing. I just can't get over the start up and awake times. Virtually no lag.

Apple doesnt seem to sweat too much these days with that stockpile of cash they have.

Apple doesnt seem to sweat too much these days with that stockpile of cash they have.
They have a little bit of cash.

Picked up a Logitech S715i speaker(s) for our MP3 players. WOWZAS. Shocked at the range (good bass), depth, and quality of sound for the C note. User replaceable battery too, now that's refreshing. Sounds best when plugged in and cranked up.

rechargeable-speaker-s715i.png

If I get this job in Portland they're gonna give me a laptop for work. That'll bring my computer count up to 4 plus 1 tablet and who knows how many other various computer parts laying around. I need to sell some stuff.

If I get this job in Portland they're gonna give me a laptop for work. That'll bring my computer count up to 4 plus 1 tablet and who knows how many other various computer parts laying around. I need to sell some stuff.

How is that too many? When I downsized form 12 to 7 I felt computer naked. It was a dark, dark day.

How is that too many? When I downsized form 12 to 7 I felt computer naked. It was a dark, dark day.

Haha idk, only have 2 hands! Monitors is a different story.

supposedly it's supposed to fix battery drain issues but sounds like that's 50/50 with early beta testing. stay broken my friend

The only way this excites me is if 5.1 gives me Siri on my iPhone 4. If not, no update for me and I will stay jailbroken.

supposedly it's supposed to fix battery drain issues but sounds like that's 50/50 with early beta testing. stay broken my friend

Seeing as 5.0.1 was supposed to be a battery fix, I wouldn't hold my breath. Although my 4S has had pretty good battery life. I did have an issue with push email draining my battery. I turned it off and the issue went away. There's so much running on these phones at one time it's hard to pin-point what one thing could affect battery life. At the end of the day I'm pretty indifferent about 5.1. Except that I did here a rumor that it will allow Siri to turn on or off features like Bluetooth. That would be cool.

Seeing as 5.0.1 was supposed to be a battery fix, I wouldn't hold my breath. Although my 4S has had pretty good battery life. I did have an issue with push email draining my battery. I turned it off and the issue went away. There's so much running on these phones at one time it's hard to pin-point what one thing could affect battery life. At the end of the day I'm pretty indifferent about 5.1. Except that I did here a rumor that it will allow Siri to turn on or off features like Bluetooth. That would be cool.

I would love that

I would love that

You and me both. BT is such a pain to get to. It's the one thing I think they really dropped the ball on. I don't need it running all the time, not to mention it's better for battery life. I really hope they do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back