Electronics Pondering

Sonos is going to happen this week I think.

Doc gave me green light, now to keep myself from going TOO crazy haha

I’m doing the same thing.

Sonos is going to happen this week I think.

Doc gave me green light, now to keep myself from going TOO crazy haha

I'm pondering which combination of the Airplay 2 options I'm going to use for our condo. I've got some high end powered speakers so right now I'm leaning towards the $399 Sonos Port to run them in our great room/kitchen. The only other rooms in the condo are the two bedrooms and I could run Sonos or Homepods for those.

Last edited:
My wife asked for an Apple Watch for Christmas. Any suggestions? I don't know much about them.

My wife asked for an Apple Watch for Christmas. Any suggestions? I don't know much about them.

Like most things Apple, its a pretty closed off system. Find the size she wants (most likely the smaller one) and the model and jump. We both use Series 3, and have no plans on updating until they die.

What are some benefits of the 4/5 over the 3? Price isn't a problem. I will pay more for the 4 or 5 if the upside warrants the cost. Also, how close in proximity does your phone need to be in relation to your watch to receive messages, etc.

Yeah, at this point I wouldn’t bother with the 3 unless budget requires it.

Depending on who you ask, a lot of 4 owners wish they had the 3 for the battery issues. Including the 5 owners we bought 4s for last holiday season.

What are some benefits of the 4/5 over the 3? Price isn't a problem. I will pay more for the 4 or 5 if the upside warrants the cost. Also, how close in proximity does your phone need to be in relation to your watch to receive messages, etc.
Series 4 has better bluetooth, screen, it’s slightly thinner. If you have WiFi model, your phone does not need to be on you or even nearby just needs to get a WiFi signal. If you have LTE/WiFi model, you won’t need to be near phone at all. Also series 4 can do ecg and has better speakers.

I have had no issues with battery life on my series 4, it’s actually way better than my prior series 3 model.

Series 4 has better bluetooth, screen, it’s slightly thinner. If you have WiFi model, your phone does not need to be on you or even nearby just needs to get a WiFi signal. If you have LTE/WiFi model, you won’t need to be near phone at all.
I have had no issues with battery life on my series 4, it’s actually better than my prior series 3 model.

No doubt at all. Yet if you read the internet, the Series 4 had some battery issues. Like I said, we bought five of them this year for people (golf industry partners), 2 of them moved back to the 3 after issues.

If you google Series 4 battery drain, there are hundreds and hundreds of articles about it.

No doubt at all. Yet if you read the internet, the Series 4 had some battery issues. Like I said, we bought five of them this year for people (golf industry partners), 2 of them moved back to the 3 after issues.

If you google Series 4 battery drain, there are hundreds and hundreds of articles about it.
I guess I missed those articles as I didn’t have any issues with mine.

The series 5 has a larger screen and great battery life. It also is the only series that has the “always on” face. The GPS with compass(only on the 5) also works great with the maps even if I don’t have my phone with me.

Any of the recent Apple watches have the cellular option and to me it’s worth getting the cellular version and paying $10 per month as I can leave my phone behind and my family can still reach me. Not having a phone with me when skiing, exercising, paddling, etc. is a huge plus. Some people like my teenage daughters could never leave their phone behind so having cellular on a watch would be redundant. :)

Last edited:
Our son just moved out and we got him a 65" LG UM7300PUA as a housewarming of sorts. 4k set with 120 motion for his gaming.

Turned out that his buddy worked at the store so we got an extra discount. We got a screaming deal on it but the $650 that it's going for now at BB is still a great price for a fantastic TV.

Sound is only so-so, as usual with flatscreen TVs. A Vizio soundbar that we had collecting dust here remedied that for him.

I don't have battery issues with my 4 except when I use it for Arccos. With that, it has made it through a round one time. Buddy who I play with regularly has a 3 and his easily makes it through a round. I think he has played 36 with it, but he may have charged a little in between.

I don't have battery issues with my 4 except when I use it for Arccos. With that, it has made it through a round one time. Buddy who I play with regularly has a 3 and his easily makes it through a round. I think he has played 36 with it, but he may have charged a little in between.

Yeah this is not cool. I don’t wear a watch often but can easily makeit through with the 3. One of the people I was speaking of is a Cobra Connect user and he can’t with his 4. There are a couple of other things that kill it for him, but based on his job, CC not working well is a tough one.

Yeah this is not cool. I don’t wear a watch often but can easily makeit through with the 3. One of the people I was speaking of is a Cobra Connect user and he can’t with his 4. There are a couple of other things that kill it for him, but based on his job, CC not working well is a tough one.

Yeah that’s no good at all. I didn’t realize that many people were having problems with the batteries on the S4. I easily get through an entire day and night with my 3. I charge it for an hour or two in the morning, and have no problems golfing, working out etc, and then sleeping with it on.

The screen is bigger on the 5 and is more edge-to-edge than on the 3. I think it looks a lot better. You also get the always on screen, so a quick glance down to your watch still works to look at the time rather than raising your wrist. I’ve got a series 3 and I’ll probably continue using it until it dies, but the always on screen is something that had me thinking of switching.

As for proximity - if both devices are on the same Wifi network, they’ll get messages. If not, basically Bluetooth Connection distance, unless you get the cellular model.

Maybe the battery issues are why they don’t make the series 4 anymore. I jumped from the 3 to the 5 and have never had any battery issues going all the way back to the original Apple Watch. I use mine for fitness tracking a lot and have only had issues with the battery when I’m streaming music from my watch on bike rides longer than about 60 miles.

I used arccos sensors for the first time on Saturday. Later in the evening I had an alert from the watch that it was going in to low power mode. Thought maybe I didn't charge the night before, but was the first time that had ever happened for me so it must have been Arccos sensors.

I used arccos sensors for the first time on Saturday. Later in the evening I had an alert from the watch that it was going in to low power mode. Thought maybe I didn't charge the night before, but was the first time that had ever happened for me so it must have been Arccos sensors.

And sadly it is not just Arccos, just one that gets noticed by us golfers haha.
The 4 has had serious battery issues and failed fix for a while.

Glad to see the 5 doesn't appear to have any of the same problems.

Our son just moved out and we got him a 65" LG UM7300PUA as a housewarming of sorts. 4k set with 120 motion for his gaming.

Turned out that his buddy worked at the store so we got an extra discount. We got a screaming deal on it but the $650 that it's going for now at BB is still a great price for a fantastic TV.

Sound is only so-so, as usual with flatscreen TVs. A Vizio soundbar that we had collecting dust here remedied that for him.

I was actually looking at the TV for our living room with the idea of pairing it with a soundbar.

I was actually looking at the TV for our living room with the idea of pairing it with a soundbar.
I gotta recommend it, I was really impressed.

And for cord-cutters, during set-up LG had a bunch of channels via what appears to be their own streaming service. Appears to be tons of channels for free. If there's any hidden cost, it would be surprising as their wasnt any prompts for email or billing info. But I have to admit, I'm naive to all that stuff.

And for cord-cutters, during set-up LG had a bunch of channels via what appears to be their own streaming service. Appears to be tons of channels for free. If there's any hidden cost, it would be surprising as their wasnt any prompts for email or billing info. But I have to admit, I'm naive to all that stuff.

We love our Vizio sound bar in our Living Room. We have the largest one paired with an 85" Samsung and it blows away every other sound bar we have tried in terms of creating a room. Coming from a much different 7.1 setup, I barely notice the difference.

I think that is the way we are leaning. Picture quality looks really good and the price is spot on. Not looking to go crazy high on one, but looking for solid picture and solid price. The other stuff baked in to it is nice because we have been cord cutters for a long time now.

We love our Vizio sound bar in our Living Room. We have the largest one paired with an 85" Samsung and it blows away every other sound bar we have tried in terms of creating a room. Coming from a much different 7.1 setup, I barely notice the difference.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Vizio soundbars. My cousin has one, but I can't remember the model number. Not that we watched anything that was really audio intensive when we were down there in late July. I was too engulfed in the size of the TV to remember the sound haha

Back