Elevation Changes and Distances

AG47

Reaction score
Handicap
PRO
I know that there are quite a few guys here that get to travel and play quite a bit so I figured that this would be a good place to ask. I play quite a bit in areas with an elevation under 1000ft above sea level. Only once have I played at an elevation over 3000 feet and that was about 5 years ago. I have a job opportunity that will have me playing most of my golf above 3500 feet and was wondering just how much further I can expect to hit my clubs at those higher elevations? What's your experience with higher elevation distance gains?

So this is why I'm a short hitter, I play at sea level. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I know that there are quite a few guys here that get to travel and play quite a bit so I figured that this would be a good place to ask. I play quite a bit in areas with an elevation under 1000ft above sea level. Only once have I played at an elevation over 3000 feet and that was about 5 years ago. I have a job opportunity that will have me playing most of my golf above 3500 feet and was wondering just how much further I can expect to hit my clubs at those higher elevations? What's your experience with higher elevation distance gains?

I get about 10 yards addional carry on my driver at 3000 feet and I don't hit it real high.

How far do you hit your 7 iron? Quoting a percentage is ok for some clubs but the overall effect varies by club. You will need to practice at that altitude to really get a handle on things. I play our mountain courses and the difference is about 2000' - 3000' altitude. I have found the effect varies based on my current distances at the time and by club too. You may not gain 10% on every club and you may gain more than 10% on some clubs.

Back