Eli Manning Hall of Fame?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Data would say yes, but probably a pretty good test case and barometer for the modern QB.

He edges out Simms as their best QB ever in many eyes, but struggled at the end mightily which is what is often remembered.

I don't think he should be, but the rings will more than likely get him in

Yup. Solid career and 2x Super Bowl MVP. That does it for me.

Gets affirmative vote from me.

• Admin
I don't think he should be, but the rings will more than likely get him in
Phil Simms has the same number and isn’t in. I don’t think it’s just the rings

I don’t think the data says yes the two Super Bowls say yes. His stats are above average but not hall of fame without the two Super Bowls. The two Super Bowls and playing for a New York team will get him in.

His stats are not that different from Matthew Stafford’s. Is Stafford a hall of fame quarterback. I don’t think so however if he had two Super Bowls it would be a different story.

• Admin
I don’t think the data says yes the two Super Bowls say yes. His stats are above average but not hall of fame without the two Super Bowls. The two Super Bowls and playing for a New York team will get him in.
I asked above but will here too. Simms has two Super Bowls and played in NY. Why not in?

He will because of the 2 Super Bowls and MVPs. Plus, his stats are slightly better than Warren Moon who is in the HoF.

I don’t think he gets in. Two rings yes, but he had way too many interceptions and pretty weak stats his last couple years.

Plus, he has permanent dumb face. That bronze statue maker can only fix that so much :/

I think not

He'd be one of the last choices I'd make for a qb for my team!

I asked above but will here too. Simms has two Super Bowls and played in NY. Why not in?

Simms stats are quite a bit worse than Eli and Stafford. 55% career passing percentage and 15,000 less passing yards. It was a different time but still he wasn’t as good as Eli and frankly I don’t think Eli is a hall of fame quarterback. I think he will get in but I don’t think he should. I think there are at least a half a dozen quarterbacks of his era though you would rather have.

I am a firm believer that if Eli had a different last name people would have a higher opinion of his skill set.

I think he gets in, but I say no.

He had two great postseason runs, plenty of terrible ones.
7 winning seasons.
His last 7 seasons, 6 of those that team was dead and burried before the halfway point.

He will likely get it. But I've seen plenty of Eli games up here in Giants territory. He's an avg to above avg QB. Not a HOFer.

I am a firm believer that if Eli had a different last name people would have a higher opinion of his skill set.

I kind of think the opposite. He was a solid NFL quarterback. Top half but not top 5 when he was in the NFL. Is that HOF worthy?

Data would say yes, but probably a pretty good test case and barometer for the modern QB.

He edges out Simms as their best QB ever in many eyes, but struggled at the end mightily which is what is often remembered.
Ohhhh, tough call. He was good but I dont know if he's HOF good. Now Peyton, on the other hand...

I kind of think the opposite. He was a solid NFL quarterback. Top half but not top 5 when he was in the NFL. Is that HOF worthy?
I don’t agree with only top half. Hell most thought Donovan McNabb was top notch and he isn’t close, from the same era.

Quarterbacks in the 2010s you would rather have than Eli Manning:
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger
Tom Brady

Those are 5 easy ones. Others that may not be worse.
Tony Romo
Matthew Stafford

Based on that it doesn’t scream HOF.

Quarterbacks in the 2010s you would rather have than Eli Manning:
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger
Tom Brady

Those are 5 easy ones. Others that may not be worse.
Tony Romo
Matthew Stafford

Based on that it doesn’t scream HOF.
Boy those “other 2” in the same sentence is scary. Unless the goal is move it really well between the 20s only and never win playoff games

A lot of my dads family are NY Giants fans so I have had this discussion a lot and my vote is pretty strongly no. He has the stats and super bowls for sure but qualitatively I never thought he was in the top 10 QB's in the league and definitely never in the top 5 in a given year. I feel like that's a pretty good metric to normalize for different eras and I doubt you would find many people who would say he was ever better than Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, or Roethlisberger. Throw in some of the older and newer QB's who had half a career cross-over and he was just never elite. I just don't see how a guy who was never a top player gets into the HOF.

Boy those “other 2” in the same sentence is scary. Unless the goal is move it really well between the 20s only and never win playoff games

Less talent around them.

I left out Russell Wilson on quarterbacks better than Manning.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
These discussions are always interesting. Decent QB plays poorly on favorite team and they lack talent around them. On other teams they are average or worse. They gave this guy **** on offense for skill positions and he won 2 rings. They give Tony Romo TO and others and he can’t win a playoff game. They give Stafford Megatron and the same.

I don’t think so. He’s a career .500 QB with 366 TD’s and 244 int’s. He had some decent seasons as well as many bad ones. To many great QB’s in that era, Eli was not one of them.

He beat Brady twice.. he’s in.

Back