Ely Callaway Performance Center Experience

jdub

Reaction score
Handicap
Today my brother and I had the amazing experience of being fitted at the Ely Callaway Performance Center at Callaway Headquarters in Carlsbad, California. Ever since I followed the posts of the guys at The Grandaddy I knew I had to make a pilgrimage to Carlsbad. The 11 hour drive from Utah was well worth it.

Our fitter was John Mlynarski, who is a true professional. A little background on us: My brother is a 12 handicap and I am a 3. Our swing speeds are very similar. My ball striking is just a little more consistent.

Although we started late in the day, John took his time with us. We started at 3:00 and finished up at about 6:30. John made sure we were comfortable with the results of each part of the fitting before moving on. We first hit 6 irons. Although I purchased a combo set of Apex/Apex Pro irons a few weeks ago, I wanted to make sure the KBS V Spec shafts in my clubs were the proper fit. My numbers were great with these shafts, which was a big relief. I was hitting the 6 iron with about 85 mph SS around 170 yards of carry. Backspin was about 5400 and dispersion was very tight. Only change for me was John recommended I have my irons bent 1* upright. One thing I wanted to find out is if the gap between my 7 iron Apex Pro and 6 iron Apex was too wide. I was happy to find out that the gap was 12 yards. I'm very happy with that.

My brother was also fitted for a combo set of Apex/Apex Pros. He currently plays X Hot Pros and loves them. John fitted him for 1/2" longer and 1* upright. The results were amazing. All of the shots with the X Hot Pros were push fades. With the Apex at 1/2" long and 1* upright he was hitting baby fades about 5 yards longer than the X Hot Pros.

Next we were fitted for wedges. We both ended up with S grind in gap and sand wedges, and U grind in lob wedges.

Then we moved on to hybrids. We both tried the regular X2Hot, but did not like the size of the head or the way it set up to the ball. We LOVED the X2Hot Pro. Both of us really liked the Tour Green shaft. The face on this hybrid is so hot. Seems much hotter that the X Hot Pro hybrids we both currently have in our bags.

We both hit the Big Bertha fairway. I thought it was easy to hit of the deck and felt great. I could hit fades and draws at will. I will probably stick with my 3Deep as I really like the deep face off the tee. My brother hit the X2Hot 3 wood and liked it better than the BB fairway.

On to the driver. We both tried the Big Bertha and Big Bertha Alpha. We both currently play the FT Optforce 440 with Diamana S+ shaft. John said that the Optiforce was going to be tough to beat. He said it is just a great driver, and I agree.

Although the Big Bertha was a nice club, it did not fit my eye. Just looks too big compared to the Optiforce. My numbers were not bad. Hit it with the Fubuki Zeta shaft, loft and lie standard. Swing speed was about 102 with about 3000 rpm of backspin with launch angle of about 14*.

Next we hit the Big Bertha Alpha with Zeta Tour shaft. Loft was +1 and lie was neutral for me. Started with Gravity Core up. Swing speed was 102 to 103 with about 2600-2800 rpm of backspin and launch angle around 12*. Switched Gravity Core to down position. Spin dropped to about 2300-2400 and launch angle went up to 14*. Most of my shots were slight fades with misses being a slice. John switched the 7 gram weight on the toe to a 3 gram weight. Swing speed went up by 1 mph and shots flew a bit straighter.

Next John recommended I try the Tour Green shaft in the BBA. This gave me the best numbers overall. Spin dropped by a couple hundred rpm's to around 2100 and dispersion became much tighter. I was hitting very straight shots with a slight fade or draw. Results were that I hit the BBA with Tour Green shaft about 10 yards further (carry) than my FT Optiforce.

My brother did not see a lot of difference between his Optiforce and either the BBA or BB. Spin was about 400 rpm lower with BBA, but that was about it.

The final fitting was for putters. John watched us hit putts and then made recommendations. I have a slight arc to my putting stroke and John recommended a putter with medium toe-flow. I hit the Metal X-Milled #1 the best. Drained 4 out of the first 5 putts I hit from about 15 feet. Tried a few other putters...Tank Versa #7, Havok but I liked the Metal X-Milled #7 the best. It is very similar to my Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.

In the end, I ordered the Big Bertha Alpha with Tour Green shaft. My brother ordered Apex/Apex Pro combo set (7-PW Apex Pro and 5 & 6 Apex) with KBS V-spec shafts. We will both be ordering the X2Hot Pro hybrid in 18*, and possibly 23*. I already have Mack Daddy 2 wedges, but my brother will be ordering a set.

John recommended the SR2 ball for both of us and gave us each a dozen as a parting gift.

Overall, this was just an amazing experience. If you are in the area, I cannot recommend ECPC highly enough.

Thank you, John and Callaway!

Thanks for sharing jdub. Sounds like an amazing experience. I will be heading out to the Callaway Performance Center here in NJ for my Morgan Cup fitting in the next few months. Words can't describe how excited I am.

Callaway does it right, they have top notch gear and an excellent staff. Not surprised you had a great experience. Glad the Grandaddy influenced your decision.

Sounds like you has a similar experience as we did in the #Grandaddy. Callaway is top notch and I am glad you guys had fun and ultimately got the right equipment for your game. Thanks for sharing!

This might be a dumb question, but can anyone schedule a fitting experience like this with callaway? Or is this by invite or special event only? For some reason it really never dawned on me that it could be possible for a hacker like me to get fit by the actual manufacturer rather than at a golf club, retail shop, etc. Will all the major companies do this?

This might be a dumb question, but can anyone schedule a fitting experience like this with callaway? Or is this by invite or special event only? For some reason it really never dawned on me that it could be possible for a hacker like me to get fit by the actual manufacturer rather than at a golf club, retail shop, etc. Will all the major companies do this?

You can schedule a fitting but there is a cost involved. I dont know about the ECPC but the Callaway Performance Center here in NJ charges $100 for a fitting and if you purchase clubs you get $50 of it back. I imagine the cost would be a little more for the ECAC.

Glad your experience there was similar to what we got to experience in the #Grandaddy. It looks like you have a stellar bag coming your way. Callaway and their staff are top notch, glad you enjoyed your time at ECPC.

I'm pretty sure we were told fittings at Callaway HQ was available to the public. Fittings down at the ECPC were reserved for "Professionals and special invites.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Callaway just does it right. I am heading to a fitting this morning and hope my experience is as positive as yours. Granted it won't be at the ECPC.

Sounds like a heck of a day! Congrats on the experience. Sounds like I might need to start searching for a tour green shaft for my BBA!

Wow that's awesome you guys drove out there for that experience. Thanks for sharing and wish you the best on your golf season with those new clubs.

Thanks for the write-up. I am planning on a Callaway Performance Center (not Carlsbad unfortunately) in the upcoming months.

I'm planning on scheduling a fitting at a local CPC, will they retrofit existing cally clubs? Or new only? I'm in the market for new driver/wood/hybrid setup, but I'm fairly happy with my existing irons. I just want to make sure I have the right angles/shaft combo in them.

Thanks for sharing, jdub. I too will be visiting a Callaway Performance Center soon for a fitting. I wish it could be at ECPC, but that's a little too far away. We have a CPC in Atlanta which I'll be checking out. But, I may end up traveling to Orlando because I was very impressed with the one at the Annika Academy when I toured it with THP.

Thanks for sharing man! I will be going to the Callaway Performance Center in Toronto, only 3 hours away from me to do a full fitting. I am hoping the experience is the same!

Thanks for sharing your experience. The ECPC is a really special place.

Such a cool facility.

I'm planning on scheduling a fitting at a local CPC, will they retrofit existing cally clubs? Or new only? I'm in the market for new driver/wood/hybrid setup, but I'm fairly happy with my existing irons. I just want to make sure I have the right angles/shaft combo in them.

They will let you hit your clubs against any they have. Then they will recommend the best set up. My brother wasn't sure if he wanted to keep his Xhot Pros for a while, or go to the Apex Pros right away. They gave him recommendations to modify his existing set or the specs for a new set. They can do the modifications, or they give you a report and you can take it to anyone you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! That's just what I wanted to hear. I really have no problem with the Razr X irons, just want to make sure they're optimized for my game.

That's awesome, glad John took care of you and you had a great experience! Thank you for sharing. I'm really looking forward to my fitting.

Sounds like such a great day. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing the experience. Stoking my excitement for a trip to the CPC in Scottsdale this Spring!

Sounds like a very informative experience for you! Thanks for sharing this!

I love reading these stories of fittings. Really sounds like a top notch place.

Great write-up - sounds like a fun and informative experience.

Back