Embarrassed (by your golf) on the golf course?

It’s only a game and hopefully the vast majority of us THP’ers play with golfers that don’t judge us (and understand how fickle this game is!) But have you ever been genuinely embarrassed by your performance on the golf course? What was the situation?
Oh for sure, but I think that happens to us all at some point and at some personal level.

I’m in a rut at the moment actually and have played some of the most inconsistent golf of my life, so, I’ve booked lessons to get the ship righted rather than just doing myself mental damage.

I can get frustrated when I don’t play well, esp. when I have worked hard on the game. I don’t know that I get embarrassed by my play but have been embarrassed when my frustration works into my playing attitude. We are all there to have fun with a shared passion. I don’t want to be a downer.

There was a couple times of this in high school for me haha. I played on the golf team, but besides about ~10 rounds during the summer, I never played or practiced golf outside of the team practices or rounds. I was occupied by other sports & summer jobs. I was good enough to be on the team, but not a standout, nor did I have a lot of confidence in my game. There were a few matches were I was playing poor and opponents were playing good, and I was embarrassed. Playing well & getting beat is different, but playing poor and getting smoked, yikes, that sucked.

When the s***** come out....

Hell yeah I get embarrassed! Especially on the first tee with a crowd watching. Or when a group lets you play through because you're the "better" players and you roll one. It's gotten a little easier through the years, but like right now I'm trying out a new swing, and I hit my first tee shot off the heel into some bushes ten yards away. Not a lot of fun.

I figure dealing with the embarrassment helps me in the rest of my life. Like putting golf into perspective. It really is just a game. There are all kinds of real problems out there. Why should I be getting embarrassed by a bad shot?

Maybe a zen approach to the game helps too. Or as Bill Murray would put it:

"Meatballs" Well Done!!!

Oh for sure, but I think that happens to us all at some point and at some personal level.

I’m in a rut at the moment actually and have played some of the most inconsistent golf of my life, so, I’ve booked lessons to get the ship righted rather than just doing myself mental damage.
So question, this not point at specifically at you and please don't take it the wrong way (I don't think you will) however where does a Golf Coach go to get "Coached"
I've been doing a lesson once a month to try to right my ship, is that not enough? S/B more like every 2 weeks?

Last edited:
Embarrassed? Oh absolutely... a few weeks ago played after some rain moved thru in the morning. I had planned to mow the grass which generally gets me nice and warmed up before a round. Well, it was wet out so I layed around and piddled in the house. Got the course and could tell I was a little tight. First tee, hit a weak slice. We allow a warm up ball, so I re-tee'd and took a few more practice swings. Felt better and unleashed a mighty.... whiff!!! It's been a looong time since I did that... My wife was playing with us and both of our other playing partners wives were riding along that day.

Yeah... embarrased.

I have been a couple of time. Last summer and a couple of weeks ago was the worst because I had a sever case of the shanks that I could not break. Luckily as of late I have been playing some pretty good golf. Unfortunately most of it has been on slower greens which has not helped my score

No doubt about it... Every time I don't keep my head down. You would think after15 years, I would stop doing that. Sure enough, I'll do it on one shot about every third hole.

Absolutely - making so many changes and getting rid of bad habits, that I will be good and then terrible - it's a rollercoaster ride. If I don't have enough sleep, forget it. This 60+ needs more rest. It's frustrating because one spends so much time improving and you know you are better, but there are times when nothing works. Your body does not respond.

So question is not point at specifically and please don't take it the wrong way (I don't think you will) however where does a Golf Coach go to get "Coached"
I've been doing a lesson once a month to try to right my ship, is that not enough? S/B more like every 2 weeks?
Nothing to take the wrong way there.

First, education never stops, and if it does imo it’s being done wrong. Second, I’m a golf coach, not a swing coach, two different distinctions imo, I do a little bit of everything, where a teaching pro is a teaching pro for a reason. (y)

I plan on letting Johnathan dictate my frequency being honest. Be it once a month or more.

It’s only a game and hopefully the vast majority of us THP’ers play with golfers that don’t judge us (and understand how fickle this game is!) But have you ever been genuinely embarrassed by your performance on the golf course? What was the situation?

No, because everyone whoever played the game has been there.

i sometimes get embarrased by my play. But always will be embarrassed if I act poorly. Luckily it does not happen often, if at all.

Worst was probably last year playing a scramble. I just had nothing at all working that day. I honestly looked like I had never picked up a club

I get mad at myself when I don’t play well then on the ride home I suddenly remember I don’t really play much. I hit tons of balls but it’s not called range.
I’m trying to fix that

Showed up to Royal Dornoch with my bro-in-law. Just two of us. Chatting with starter on 1st tee. Group in front gets on the green. It's a short par 4 of 320ish...My bro-in-law mashes his drives. He catches one and it rolls up onto green thru the legs of one of the group in front....Starter says hey why didn't you mention you could drive the green...My bro-in-law says to the starter...I'm the short hitter of us two....So I step up and pure top it...My guess is I hadn't topped one like that in several years...My ball rolls left some and almost hits a few kids playing on the hillside along the hotel there. I walk to that ball and plum top it again.....Ugh

My 2 nephews are just starting to play and I wish that it was 10 years ago. Back when I could play much better. Now they see me driving it 220....hitting scores In the 90's. SUCKS

I've been embarrassed by poor play. I used to get angry at my poor play. I still do sometimes, and when I do my game comes off the rails. If you're going to throw a club there is a special way of doing it.

I am embarrassed that I’ve been embarrassed by my play. There’s no reason for it! I’ve been pretty much the same handicap since high school 15 years ago because I simply haven’t had the time and/or motivation to improve. It’s taken me most of that time to learn that I shouldn’t be embarrassed no matter how poorly I’m playing. I’m currently relearning that to an extent as I put in the time and effort to improve.

Just a couple weeks ago I went through this. I had my second round match in our league championship and I was absolutely embarrassed by how bad I played. I was 4 down pretty quickly and even though I extended the match to 15 holes it was just sad how badly I played. It's been getting a little better since then but still not good.

Oh hell yeah! Every time I flub a chip/pitch shot that goes nowhere or when I hit an incredibly bad tee shot to somewhere on the course I've never been.

Latest example was a drive I hit the par 4 17th hole at our usual course. I had absolutely bombed a drive on the long, difficult 14th hole. Just a monster(for me) draw waaaay out there. Next hole I mishit and pulled my drive but it wasn't dead. Got to the 17th, into the wind, need to carry a fairway bunker, hit a low pull into the adjacent driving range netting. It had to be at least 50 yards, maybe more, left of where i thought i was aiming. :oops:o_O😖

Sadly, yes, especially on the first hole. Eventually I just accept that I’m not that good right now and that no one usually cares but it takes a few holes. I did have one bad experience where a random guy I was paired up with in a foursome told me I desperately needed lessons which was super embarrassing, but thankfully that has only happened once.

I got a feeling the only person anybody cares about is themselves.

The only time I get pissed is when I try a stupid shot after making a bad shot. I know better

Yes. Playing with some buddies and I visited Shank-city. Like not a little tour but a full on double-decker bus tour of Shank-City. No idea where anything was going…. After hole 3 - I walked back to the clubhouse and went home. No reason to endure anymore pain….

I can honestly say, I don’t remember a time ever being embarrassed about my golf. Pissed off yes, but not embarrassed.

Back