End of season analysis

Great idea for a thread! I'm one of those "analytical types" who likes to keep and look at stats. I use www.freegolftracker.com to keep track of all
of my rounds. I've been doing this for 6 years now, and some things become pretty obvious after a while.

1. My driving has gotten MUCH better. I attribute that to my purchasing a Ping G driver (a year or two old at the time) off Ebay. At age 77,
I realize I'm NOT going to add distance, but I feel by finding a driver that fits me, my percentage of solid hits that maximize distance has increased.
I also hit the fairway 91% of the time, an increase of 5% over those years. Probably no coincidence that my Greens in Regulation are also up
to 46%. My goal is to eventually reach 50% per round!

2. My ability to get up and down from off the greens has stayed the same over this period, even though I practice this part of the game the MOST!
I do go back and forth between using LOTS of clubs to chip with (7 iron through all the wedges) versus sticking to one or two wedges. I know I
have to choose one method and stick with it, but can't seem to settle on which one I'm the most consistent with.....

3. My putting has gotten one stroke WORSE per round :mad: and this has plagued me all season long! I've gone from using the same putter all the time to switching
back and forth between 4 or 5 in my collection from one round to another. I know this is undoubtedly bad for my game, but I can't seem to settle on
"the one!" I've also gone back and forth between conventional vs. Left-Hand-Low lately, and I realize that's probably not good either.

Part of my problem is that two of the guys in my group of 8 or 10 guys I play with are GREAT chippers and putters. In trying to keep up with them,
I think I put pressure on myself, and that affects my mental game. Thanks for starting this interesting thread b/c it's given me a chance to analyze
my game and take a look at my game and what I need to do to improve!

For me it’s irons and putting. Still need to work on wedges 50-100 yards.

Despite my silly gif earlier now that I have joined a club I have been playing more and the consistency is coming back. The move cross country derailed about 9 months of golf for me. Last two rounds has shown better iron striking and wedge play 50 yards and in. Putting has been up and down but last two round I have averaged less than 2 putts a hole which is always one of my goals when playing.

Despite my silly gif earlier now that I have joined a club I have been playing more and the consistency is coming back. The move cross country derailed about 9 months of golf for me. Last two rounds has shown better iron striking and wedge play 50 yards and in. Putting has been up and down but last two round I have averaged less than 2 putts a hole which is always one of my goals when playing.
You will get it back. That stingray won't let you down

You will get it back. That stingray won't let you down
Drained one from 30 feet today downhill right to left about 5 feet for bird. Shocked even myself.

I worked on just about everything. Not much improved, some things got worse. It’s been a tough comeback tour after taking 2 years off. My driver started coming around and it actually shines when I don’t try to steer it. It’s hard to gain confidence and let it rip when I’m spraying balls off the tee, but every good drive is another tick on the confidence gauge. The biggest plus for my game has been finding an instructor that fits me. It’ll take a bit but I’m expecting my handicap to start dropping next year.

In short, I've worked on better strike and consistency including in short game and even putting. I'd say I'm making progress. Unfortunately, I also hoped to decrease my handicap much more than I did, so that's just proof how easy it is to revert back to bad habits. I'll need to maintain that focus and keep that goal for next season!

I really put a lot of work into revamping my chipping and pitching around the greens. Figured proximity to the hole for first putts was horrendous from ~30yds and in. Especially bad from greenside.

Completely rebuilt the short game swing. Fixed my technique. Lots of reps. Better shot choices, better club choices.

Missing the green became a better opportunity for par. No longer stuggling with duffed chips, fatted shots, thinned shots. A mishit now results in a far better result, a tighter mishit pattern, and lower scores.

Back